Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
That's what their stats say. I wonder what the real numbers are?
IOW, who's hiding the bodies, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
FYI, that murder rate is as real as flying pigs...
What's the "real" murder rate, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
That murder rate is remarkably low compared to some other cities.
AFAIK, lowest of the largest US cities, and most major cities.
Philadelphia Closes 2011 With Highest Per-Capita Murder Rate Of United States Cities « CBS Philly
"Among the ten largest cities, Philadelphia’s murder rate was 20.7 per 100,000. The next closest is Chicago, at 15.7"
From the OP link: "As of Sunday, the murder rate in New York was 3.86".
The Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/List_of_coun..._homicide_rate

Last edited by bigjake54; 10-10-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM

According to Ray Kelly, the rate increase is solely related to the existence of iphones, which didn't even exist until 2007:
Be Smart With Your Phone: iPhone Thefts Continue To Rise In NYC « CBS New York
A major reason for the continued rise? "phone carriers have apparently been resisting the option to permanently disable stolen phones for years."
People steal & rob what is valuable. Make stolen iphones worthless, and this will cease.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
IOW, who's hiding the bodies, eh?

What's the "real" murder rate, then?

AFAIK, lowest of the largest US cities, and most major cities.
Philadelphia Closes 2011 With Highest Per-Capita Murder Rate Of United States Cities « CBS Philly
"Among the ten largest cities, Philadelphia’s murder rate was 20.7 per 100,000. The next closest is Chicago, at 15.7"
From the OP link: "As of Sunday, the murder rate in New York was 3.86".
The Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St.
Two things .... when you build 67000 condos and mixed affordable housing units within a 3 block radius and every young person from 16-25 living in Spring Valley, Nevada and every other small town city in the country want to spend 6000 a month to live in a shoebox... you can have 30 murders in one small *** neighborhood but because there's 400,000 people living in that neighborhood the murder rate is 7 or 8 per 100,000... Meanwhile within that same sq. mile radius anywhere else in the country, there's a healthy population of 20,000 where only 3 murders take place, yet the murder rate is 15... Like i said, it's why that statistic means absolute **** for this city...

Second point... to your beyond idiotic comment of where they hid the bodies... They don't have to when they're busy reclassifying homicides as suicides, and ignore any information regarding a death that could be potentially classified as a murder... I know... I'm as shocked as you are that the police are incompetent

Additionally, I've seen two cases already where a driver was responsible for 6 deaths and another for 4 in a case of drunk driving, and none of those cases were reported in compstat because of what I'm assuming was "unintentional" homicide... I really wouldn't be surprised if that's actually a classification under wraps...

To sum up... Obviously, there are WAY less murder victims in the city in today's times than there were back then... No question that comparing today's times to the 70s, 80s or even 90s is laughable... That being said, the desperation to convince the public of blatant lies when we are already in what should be considered safe times, is beyond comprehension... And yet, it is what we see put out constantly...

Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
According to Ray Kelly, the rate increase is solely related to the existence of iphones, which didn't even exist until 2007:
A major reason for the continued rise? "phone carriers have apparently been resisting the option to permanently disable stolen phones for years."
People steal & rob what is valuable. Make stolen iphones worthless, and this will cease.
CMDA carriers (sprint, verizon, metro, etc) already do this with phones reported as lost or stolen. The phone is blacklisted and cannot be re-activate on a different account.
But with technology there's always a work around. People clone serials, imei, esn's and can have them re-activated after cloning these pieces of info from another phone.
There's also shipping it overseas. And there's nothing US carriers can do about that. Abroad they can be activated, no problem.
The smartest thing to do is being alert when using your phone in public and getting insurance.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Like i said, it's why that statistic means absolute **** for this city...
If the proximity of murder is your concern, move to Wyoming or Alaska.
Quote:
they're busy reclassifying homicides as suicides, and ignore any information regarding a death that could be potentially classified as a murder...
You've drank the kool-aid.
Quote:
I've seen two cases already where a driver was responsible for 6 deaths and another for 4 in a case of drunk driving, and none of those cases were reported in compstat because of what I'm assuming was "unintentional" homicide... I really wouldn't be surprised if that's actually a classification under wraps...
Vehicular homicide is reported. It's not classified as murder or manslaughter anywhere.
Quote:
the desperation to convince the public of blatant lies when we are already in what should be considered safe times, is beyond comprehension...
You've drank the kool-aid. .

Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM

499 posts, read 794,071 times
No matter how alarming the media or these threads make the murder rate seem, it will affect such a minute portion of us that your better off worrying about other things. Like your health.

Live your life, 400,000 people will die in car crashes this year. I'm waiting for the "is this road safe to drive on" thread.

And I hate how the media provides more coverage for a murder of a white guy in Manhattan than they will for an innocent kid shot in public housing in the Bronx. They're both tragic. But in the end the media is in the business of just scaring people.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I have a friend who lives there and she says she hears gun shots nightly. The precinct has had a lot of shootings this year, so I would guess Queensbridge projects are still pretty bad.
Thats funny, so are people in QB shooting in the Air?

Kind of funny how sheepshead bay projects ( nostrand houses/sheepshead houses combined) are a tiny fraction of QB as far as size goes, and always seem to have more murders then QB annually. also sheepshead is located in a white area so you can say that their outside community is relatively safe. I always felt QB was pretty good for a housing project it's size.

The worst large housing projects to me is edenwald(north Bronx), and forte green( Walt Whitman, and ingersoll combined) in downtown Brooklyn.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
They don't hide bodies it's not like all murder victims bodies are on display for us to count to make sure the police dept is telling the truth.

Say there's 15 murders in a week they can reclassify some of them down to suicide or missing persons and you end up with 10 murders, you gotta remember these are just stats there's no personal ties or bodies connected to the crime at that point they just put into the system numbers that former nypd officers have already admitted to falsifying.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Last year half of all robberies in the city might have been iphone related. What I noticed the targets are mostly women, since women are more likely to own an iphone, also plenty of Asian also use iphones too as well as hipsters. All these groups are easy targets. For those planning on using iphones please think twice. A lady at my job got her phone swiped out of her hands recently as well as a buddy of mines in Brooklyn. A idiot on my block got his car window smashed in because a perp saw a white cable connected to something, fortunantly that iphone that he stole was an stolen iphone purchased off of someone. NYPD should host crime prevention seminars in gentry and up and coming neigborhoods to tell and teach potential transient urbanites about tech robberies and burglaries.

NYPD: "HALF OF NYC ROBBERIES THIS YEAR INVOLVED TRENDY GADGETS" - YouTube

http://gothamist.com/2012/09/30/man_..._robbery_a.php

A few weeks ago a man gets stabbed for his iphone in Brooklyn.

http://fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes....nd-burglaries/

A string of idevices are stolen in Fort Greene Brooklyn.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...173564231.html

A string of iphone robberies in Queens. Also note the areas of the robbries, Fort Greene, western Queens, these are all hip and trendy areas.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-11-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
If the proximity of murder is your concern, move to Wyoming or Alaska.

You've drank the kool-aid.

Vehicular homicide is reported. It's not classified as murder or manslaughter anywhere.

You've drank the kool-aid. .
And you sir are an idiot who ignores reality... You must be one of those to just accept anything these statistics tell you... because there's not a snowballs chance in hell compstat is inaccurate ... also you clearly have never visited a police station and tried to file a report where they literally beg you to let things go so their lazy a$&es don't have to do more work... you really have no concept of reality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City