Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 PM

19 posts, read 120,285 times

Advertisements

This isn't a post requesting info on where to live, commute, work etc. I'm coming back to go to school and improve my career after living away from the cit for a little over 10 years. After that I will decide whether to stay or live elsewhere again. I really just want to know how the city has changed since I've been gone. I visit yearly but let's be real, that doesn't count towards understanding some of the less obvious developments. So if you've been a life-long native or you've been in NY for a very long time I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what has become of NYC this past decade plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Some of the big changes in the past decade

One obvious thing you'll notice, at least in Manhattan, is the tremendous upgrade in security since 9/11. The days of wandering through the lobby of an office buildings in search of, say, a newsstand or a cup of coffee, are long gone. Building guards at some offices also routinely ask for ID before letting you on the elevator. Armed guards are much more prevalent. So are blocked off streets and those heavy cement things that keep cars and trucks off of sidewalks. The 'new normal' as they say.

Smoking is banned almost everywhere now, bars, ofiices, apartment lobbies, movie theaters, even in parks and beaches, so you see zillions of people smoking on sidewalks and you have to fight your way through their toxic fumes when you walk down the street.

On the other hand you can live longer here! NYC now has the nation's highest life expectancy-- 80+ years--as the mayor has waged war on big containers of sodas, smoking, trans fats, salt and restaurants that dont say how many calories are in their food.
The Good (City) Life: Why New York's Life Expectancy Is the Highest in the Nation - News - GOOD

Of course no more subway tokens. We only got the Metrocard in 2003, though now it seems like its been with us forever. Makes life a bit easier in my opinion, and cheaper too with the unlimited fare plans. It must be true as the trains seem much more crowded than a decade ago.

No cars in Times Sq. They've turned it into one big plaza, diverting traffic and setting up tables in it for the hordes of tourists who come. But its still crowded beyond belief. And tackier than ever.

And maybe the biggest change is that many marginal or working-class neighborhoods have become much more acceptable places to live. And I'm not talking about being 'gentrified" though that's true sometimes too. But ten years ago most newcomers would not ask about living in Inwood or Long Island City or Greenpoint, to take a few examples. And places like Astoria and Williamsburg were total afterthoughts. But rents go up, downtown Manhattan becomes unaffordable for most, and it makes for neighborhood upgrades elsewhere. Sometimes making them unaffordable too.

Some things that haven't changed much: Residentially we are still heavily segregated by ethnicity, our public school system is still mostly dysfunctional and makes almost no one happy, youngsters still flock here to make a life in the city's cultural world--actors, writers, dancers, musicians, photographers and the like--and everything keeps getting more expensive. And of course people keep obsessing about crime, even though there is a lot less of it now than there was 10 years ago.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:28 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Lots more mexicans in nyc now and you can actually find many good places for mexican food now.

Another one I would add is the noticeable increase in bike lanes.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,417,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteryk View Post
This isn't a post requesting info on where to live, commute, work etc. I'm coming back to go to school and improve my career after living away from the cit for a little over 10 years. After that I will decide whether to stay or live elsewhere again. I really just want to know how the city has changed since I've been gone. I visit yearly but let's be real, that doesn't count towards understanding some of the less obvious developments. So if you've been a life-long native or you've been in NY for a very long time I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what has become of NYC this past decade plus.
Bike lanes are our new eye soars.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteryk View Post
Rent has increased.
Crime has went down.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
You'll be in for a major shock.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:23 PM

110 posts, read 300,180 times
Lots of the subway trains have been upgraded. Recently they've been making a ton of upgrades to the subway system. Train fare now costs $2~2.25.

The Barclays Center. Bed bugs. Stop & frisk.

Williamsburg apartments are now renting at Manhattan rates.

Additionally, yesterday we had a tornado.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,504 times
Cops are everywhere, all the time.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:21 PM

537 posts, read 819,333 times
The three big changes to NYC in the last ten years?

-Gentrification
-They've changed the way the "Walk/Don't Walk" signs look
-The toll for entering and exiting the city has become obscene

Old 09-09-2012, 07:06 PM

19 posts, read 120,285 times
Thanks for the responses guys. Interesting stuff, I got a good laugh out of some of them. I have heard about things like how Williamburg is now a hipster mecca and the Upper West is getting expensive due to gentrification. I knew that crime was much lower than when I was a kid, that's good to know. But as someone mentioned the cops are everywhere now so that might explain some of it.

I'm looking forward to moving back, at least for a few years. The plan is to spend a year back at school then take a year to decide my next move. Maybe I'll stick around this time, who knows. Thanks for the insights though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: