Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:01 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times

Advertisements

Don't more people include where they currently live in their profile, visible on the upper right?

I believe you add it under "my settings" in your profile info. It is so hard to put comments in context if you don't know where the heck the poster is from--Brooklyn or Bombay; Manhattan or Montana. Hey, it does make a difference, IMO.

Can anyone explain why people dont' do this--is it because they don't know how, or they just don't want people to know they've (perhaps) never even been to NYC, or to a particular borough or area in question?

Goes to credibility, your honor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 04:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,934 times
I'll confess. Mine says "East Coast Transplant" because my husband chose the town we moved to in Pennsylvania, and it doesn't suit me. I feel like people in New York City look down on the area (but many of the same people buy weekend homes here).

Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 AM

Suzer, au contraire, yours is one of the most informative I've seen so far!

It's true that some folks have lived so many places that the question "where are you from?" can usually be followed by "no, I mean, where are you from...originally?"

My b/f was born in Oklahoma, but he was a military brat so as a child he lived in Omaha, New York State, Louisiana, etc etc. His parents are elderly, but still moving around! So I don't really know what to say about where he's really "from"--but he's been a NY'er now since 1969 (though in some respects you just can't take Oklahoma outta the boy even now).

Old 10-08-2007, 06:59 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,956 times
Goes to credibility, your honor...[/quote]

Its not that serious. People can lie about their location anyway. I don't know where you are really from. If you give me your address on this forum I won't know that is true. I just think you are being nosey.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 AM

Nosy? Interesting...if you say you're from the Bronx, or Nebraska, or wherever, it can sometimes make a difference, esp if you're asking for advice here. I don't know what the point would be to lie about what state or borough you're from. Here in NYC at least, most people will be curious about what area you live in.

And it does go to credibility. So many forumers make grand pronouncements about areas of the city they've never lived in or haven't set foot in for years. The city is changing so rapidly that even last year's news can be way outta date. For the latest scoop on a particular neighborhood, or even a certain block, it really helps to ask the locals--or at least people who know about the area, like Hustla (though he has a definite bias, but these are all opinions anyway, not facts).

Get what I'm saying?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:18 AM

Here you go, ogplife, a quote from you on another forum...

"I relocated from NYC to VA. I didn't get my relocation expenses paid. I got the job I feel because I was from NY. There is an infatuation amongst many employers with New York City people, although I personally feel outside of the business world it is kind of unwarranted, but hey it helped me."

No, I'm not stalking you, and I don't personally care. I just did a two second look see at your previous posts (which you can do by clicking under the member name). So what's the big mystery?

Sometimes I do this to get an idea of what the poster's point of view/biases may be. As I said, context can be very telling. Some posters who have moved out of NYC (yet for some reason or other still post here) are sometimes also disgruntled with NYC--hence their move. Capiche?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,934 times
I don't think it's nosey at all. Isn't this site primarily designed to help people who are relocating or new to an area get assistance from people in the know? It sure is helpful to know someone is from, or residing in a given area, when asking for help.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Here you go, ogplife, a quote from you on another forum...

"I relocated from NYC to VA. I didn't get my relocation expenses paid. I got the job I feel because I was from NY. There is an infatuation amongst many employers with New York City people, although I personally feel outside of the business world it is kind of unwarranted, but hey it helped me."

No, I'm not stalking you, and I don't personally care. I just did a two second look see at your previous posts (which you can do by clicking under the member name). So what's the big mystery?

Sometimes I do this to get an idea of what the poster's point of view/biases may be. As I said, context can be very telling. Some posters who have moved out of NYC (yet for some reason or other still post here) are sometimes also disgruntled with NYC--hence their move. Capiche?
And I said multiple times on the NEW YORK forum that I relocated to Virginia. Where are you going with this? I have nothing to hide. I have been in VA for 10 months. You could never tell me anything about NEW YORK. I come home every month and visit my family and friends. That is probably more time than you spend outside in an entire month so please don't go there, but thanks for quoting me. I know i'm special now. I guess you will like this post becuase it told you how long ago I moved.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 AM

I knew you'd get defensive and IMO hostile. So be it. But saying it's being nosy is IMO frankly ridiculous. I was just asking why people don't post this more often. Some may not even know how they can do so.

I have lived in NYC my entire 50 years in three different boroughs. Plus, how do you know I don't get out much? I guess you remember it from what I've posted here. That's just fine and dandy with me.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
I don't think it's nosey at all. Isn't this site primarily designed to help people who are relocating or new to an area get assistance from people in the know? It sure is helpful to know someone is from, or residing in a given area, when asking for help.
Number one you have no clue whether this person is telling the truth. I know plenty of people who live right outside of an area and say they are from an area because it looks cool. As a matter of fact its funny seeing NY people in VA with plates that say things like i love NY. People have an infatuation with saying they are from NY. It is like that all over the states people from right outside of Miami say they are from Miami and the same for ATL and all other big cities. Second, even if I am from say the Bronx that does not mean I know the Bronx or even my own area. Of course for those that speak on other boroughs is a totally different story. I know plenty of people that live in one borough and literally leave that borough less than 5 times in a year. I am not saying I have all the answers myself or you should believe me, but I personally feel I know the streets of NY. I grew up in Harlem until 10 MONTHS AGO, worked in a detention center in south bronx, worked in a Trump building in Manhattan too, but at the end of the day you don't know if a word I say is true. It is your job as a reader to use common sense and not take everything that is written for face value. What is written on this forum are merely opinions and nothing more. Some have opinions from riding by, some have opinions from talking to friends and some have experience from actually living it, but once again you will never actually know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City