Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM

274 posts, read 319,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Just so you know, the record for a NY apartment is $44 million.

But you CAN find a nice apartment, especially in midtown, for what you've got to work with. And it won't be hard. And it will have a real refrigerator (unlike in the UK, where everyone has refrigerators for anorexics).
The highest sales price in NYC was $56 million for The Plaza penthouse.

The Pierre penthouse is also on the market for $70 million. Then there's the penthouse at The Mark on 25 East 77th Street that's supposedly set to sell at $60 million, it's not "officially" released but there are a few buyers lined up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 04:01 PM

274 posts, read 319,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee77 View Post
As I said - I didn't spent much time in NY and then not focusing on where to live but just generally visiting, shopping, going out so i'm sure I missed a lot of nice areas in Midtown

20k for rent a month? No, I don't think so. I don't think we need to spend that much and as to buying - I am not too convinced by the idea yet. I want to wait and see how long-term NY turns out to be. We own a flat in Central London and, all things equal, would prefer to settle in Europe rather than the US so we're treating NY as a fun thing more than a "serious" move. at least, not yet! You never know - we may love it so much and decde to stay

A place that we like in a very good location in Zone 1 in London would cost us about 4000 GBP / month - do you think we need to spend more than 9000 USD for a good flat in Manhattan?
No, you don't need to spend $20,000 a month.

If you like the UWS, I went to look at two buildings recently 10 West Avenue, or Trump Place I liked the locations and I was impressed with the buildings. You will find apartments in your range.

also

CityRealty

and

Nestseekers International

Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
If you like character, you might also want to consider pre-war buildings. I moved from a post-war to a pre-war and am so glad I did. I now have a wood-burning fireplace, crown moldings, beautiful oak floors, etc.

BTW, the record ASKING price might be $70 million, but it's not sold (yet).

Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
I apologize in advance if I offend anyone but I stayed in Midtown for a year and didn't like it that much. I found it to be too busy and office-y. Especially around Grand Central. Maybe you could look into Union Square/Gramercy area. From Union Square it's only one stop to Grand Central if you take 4 or 5.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Sutton Place is considered Midtown - there's not an office nor a store on any part of Sutton Place. Beekman Place, too is in Midtown. These are areas that are really nice - right by the river, very residential, lots of dogs, etc.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Sutton Place is considered Midtown - there's not an office nor a store on any part of Sutton Place. Beekman Place, too is in Midtown. These are areas that are really nice - right by the river, very residential, lots of dogs, etc.
Too far from everything, including Grand Central, IMHO. But to each their own.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Others may able to tell you what the commute to and from Ct. would be--and what options there are. Might affect where you want to live in Manhattan--possibly. I'm not sure if they have some sort of ferry, but they've got Conrail (NY to Connecticut) and people do the commute every day. Or I guess you could drive or be driven.

A reverse commute would probably be pretty sweet since everyone else is going the other way, and traffic or crowding on the train should be relatively minimal, I'd think.

The summers are getting more horribly hot and the winters IMO milder and shorter--thanks to the old global warming thing.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM

I think having a driver would be the only logical thing to do if you can afford it. Although depending on where you are the commute might not be horrible, but if you can swing it a driver/chauffeur would probably work well for your husband.

Trump Place may be a bit nouveau riche for some tastes. I assume it's not prewar, but in any case, whatever. Midtown is not a great place to live IMO--well, at least midtown West. It is very sterile and getting more so every day, and horribly crowded.

Plus which, a reverse commute by car would likely be a breeze since the traffic should be light(er). Everything's connected by highways for the most part, and with minimal traffic you can get to your destination much, much faster.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
The express trains from Stamford to NY are fast... Under 40 minutes. But I don't know if they run express trains going from NY to Stamford in the AM, and Stamford to NY in the PM. If you can afford it, a driver would make things a lot easier.

The reverse commute will still be horrible. A lot of people from the Bronx and Westchester commute to Stamford, if you left super early, it wouldn't be so bad though. The Hutch and 95, which you'd use to get to Stamford, are hellish during rush hour.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:28 PM

But if you have a chauffeur, who cares? (relatively speaking, that is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City