Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:58 AM

114 posts, read 250,416 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I know this board gets bombarded with these kinds of questions that many commenters get sick of, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask for a more personalized response.

This May I will be graduating with my MA in American Studies. I have applied for PhD programs throughout the country with varying success, but after researching the academic job market, I'm not sure this field is for me.

I grew up in upstate New York (Port Jervis in Orange County) so I've been to the city quite a few times, but moved to Florida when I was thirteeen. I am a graduate of the University of South Florida in Tampa for both undergraduate and graduate work, and I financed much of my undergraduate education by becoming a butcher for over three years at a well-regarded company here in Tampa.

Like many in their mid-twenties, I'd like to take a stab at New York while I'm young and without kids. If I move to New York, I'd like to save up $5-7k beforehand and try to make it there. How possible is it for somebody who is young with little experience outside of butchery to make a living? In grad school I was a TA, but will that get me anywhere in New York City without any connections?

To be completely clear, I have no delusions of living in Manhattan or the hip neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I'd imagine Queens or the Bronx to be more my scene (and price range), but I really have no idea where I should start looking. How good is the job market in New York for somebody with a Master's and with a background in retail sales and meat cutting? Does anybody have any recommendations on where to start looking for jobs, apartments, neighborhoods, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 02:02 AM

114 posts, read 250,416 times
I should also add that I am no stranger to living in small spaces. Throughout college I lived in tiny (15x20) apartments (I used the money I saved by living in small spaces to go to sporting events and whatnot). While I understand that these spaces will cost MUCH more in NY than in Tampa, I can fit everything I need in about three decent shipping boxes.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:30 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
why kind of job can you get with a MA in American Studies? How much student loans do you have?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:29 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
This article gives some good tips and is a real reality check for those wanting to move here.

As long as you are realistic with your expectations, I'm sure you will be fine.

To-Do List: Moving to New York City

Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
No

Old 01-07-2016, 12:10 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
take a stab at it if you want but have a plan and way to support yourself. Don't just move here and say "well I guess I'll look for a job now". Easier said then done I realize but nothing worth doing is ever easy right?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
You asked can I make it? In short NO.
Those that have drive, determination, and the will to succeed just do and don't go to a public forum and ask random strangers can I make it?

Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
If you think a "tiny" space is one that's 15x20, you're in for a shock!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:08 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I think you start by looking for a job. Don't worry about neighborhoods. Just get anything cheap with a roommate - maybe a grad student.

I had to chuckle at the butchering background, but it's no joke, considering the number of haute-foodie places here. Start with making a list of all the gourmet butcher possibilities in town. You ought to be able to come up with at least 20.

I'm not sure what American Studies would entail, but that might be a great background for an entry-level publishing job for non-fiction books. Or a similar magazine. Or one of the cable channels. Or one of the museums.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:34 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
You need a PhD for museums. I have an Amer Studies degree as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City