Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 05:35 PM

424 posts, read 973,855 times

Advertisements

I need some advice about my roommate's dog which has behavioral problems...

Whenever she (my roommate) leaves it has serious separation anxiety problems and will tear apart the garbage, whine, cry, bark out the window and howl... after coming home to garbage everywhere and a raided refrigerator today I'm considering moving since garbage on the floor only makes the roach problem worse in the kitchen and I don't need that.

I already told her once about this and she acted like it was no big deal; "Oh yeah, she'll do that. Sorry about that." It was almost like she couldn't do anything about it...

It has other behavioral problems but that's the biggest one. I love dogs and all but I don't know if it's my place of telling her to train the dog better... She's very easy going but maybe a bit too much. It might just be easier to move...

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,720 times
Put some cough syrup in the dog food and water bowl.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Sounds like your roommate is the problem as much as the dog. I would move.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:17 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Put some cough syrup in the dog food and water bowl.
No way! Harming the dog for untrained dog behavior?

Original OP, there are 2 things here. have a sit down and be honsest that you need a clean environment to live in and it is HER dog and responsibility to handle this so that you have a clean and peaceful living environment, Which is a right if you are renting and paying your share. If this is not a possibility, Move. It will not change and will lead to a big argument down the line, because when a situation is ignored in these regards sooner or later something has to give. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Your roommate needs to invest in professional training for the dog. In the meantime, she should crate the dog when she goes out. If the dog only acts up when nobody is home and behaves okay when someone else is home, you can take the dog out of the crate when you are home.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 PM

387 posts, read 680,113 times
Beat the roomate with a hammer, train the dog, love the dog.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:38 PM

802 posts, read 1,366,489 times
move...

Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Forget the sit down and chat bit, you have mentioned it already, she blew it off, it won't change and she will do nothing to change the behavior of the dog. Find a place and move and give her 30 days notice or whatever you feel is adequate and when she asks why you are moving tell her the truth and leave it at that.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
First, if you already have a roach problem, shouldn't you be taking the garbage out twice daily instead of leaving it there? You or your roommate should take it out on your way out and that would solve the garbage problem.

Not sure how the dog raided the fridge but I'd be beyond annoyed about that.

Tell the roommate if changes aren't made, someone/somedog has to go. (I guess that would depend on who was in the apt first)

Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
I need some advice about my roommate's dog which has behavioral problems...

Whenever she (my roommate) leaves it has serious separation anxiety problems and will tear apart the garbage, whine, cry, bark out the window and howl... after coming home to garbage everywhere and a raided refrigerator today I'm considering moving since garbage on the floor only makes the roach problem worse in the kitchen and I don't need that.

I already told her once about this and she acted like it was no big deal; "Oh yeah, she'll do that. Sorry about that." It was almost like she couldn't do anything about it...

It has other behavioral problems but that's the biggest one. I love dogs and all but I don't know if it's my place of telling her to train the dog better... She's very easy going but maybe a bit too much. It might just be easier to move...

What do you think?
Maybe your roommate should move, unless you prefer to, why should you be inconvenienced for her dogs behavior problems. And, No...You are not out of line, this dog will cost you your deposits and possibly damages, and a good reference from LL before it is thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City