Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:14 PM

202 posts, read 221,432 times

Advertisements

I went to Judson Health Center a few years ago and they didn't charge me anything for xrays, an extraction, cleaning, and some fillings, as I had no income at the time. I didn't have any insurance or Medicaid. They just take anyone who comes.

Judson Health Center - Nolita - New York, NY | Yelp

You also might qualify for Healthfirst/Dentaquest, in which case there are some good places to get to get work on your teeth, such as American Dental Arts on 23 street: American Dental Arts New York Full Service Dental Office in Manhattan 420 West 23rd Street, NY 10011

They offer payment plans, so if you don't qualify for Medicaid or Healthfirst and don't have enough money you can probably work something out with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 02:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Did you bother doing a search? This has been discussed a few times.

Here was my find:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...p-dentist.html

Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've known plenty of people who had work at NYU and enjoyed it. I had dental work myself done at Columbia, porcelain veneers and I loved the results. It's bull**** that the hire the worst of the dentists to be professors. The professors are highly skilled dentists trained in the latest techniques.
All I saw were incompetent pompous old fools who may have been dentists once long ago, but not anymore.

And my experience is first hand not the "I know people" kind.

Teaching dentistry at NYU is where washed up old dentists go to die.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:33 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've known plenty of people who had work at NYU and enjoyed it. I had dental work myself done at Columbia, porcelain veneers and I loved the results. It's bull**** that the hire the worst of the dentists to be professors. The professors are highly skilled dentists trained in the latest techniques.
So you know "plenty" of persons who have had positive experiences with NYU, what of it? I *personally* went to NYU dental as part of my colleges student health plan and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Care and services are inconsistent. You can spend an entire appointment period being gone over, photographed and so froth by this or that professor because your case is "interesting". Sat there once for >15 minutes as some Russian female professor took endless pictures then held a conference with the student dentist. Low and behold by the time that was done no work could really be done because my slot was almost expired.

If you are sent for X-rays be prepared for that to take up your entire appointment and you have to come back. My dentist can "see" X-rays as they are being done in real time and proceed from there.

It is common knowledge to anyone that bothers to look that *anything* done at NYU takes longer and has unequal results as opposed to seeing a private dentist. The only persons who truly praise that place are the poor, indigent, on Medicaid, and or have few to other options for dental care.

I would rather take out a GE Care Plan and see a private dentist than deal with endless trips to NYU.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:

I would rather take out a GE Care Plan and see a private dentist than deal
with endless trips to NYU.
It took me a long while to find the truth in that, but I did.
Trouble with bad dentistry, like a bad marriage, it often takes years for the horrible situation to manifest itself.

Bad fillings and caps to not destroy teeth overnight.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:15 PM

26 posts, read 34,272 times
Hi, I realize this is an old thread, but I need some suggestions on where to get a low-cost dental crown done in NYC. In August I had an accident and cracked a front tooth in half. I went to a private dental clinic and got a root canal and composite restoration done. I was supposed to come back in for the permanent crown, but cancelled after realizing I was suckered into signing up for exorbitant Care Credit debt. The root canal that I ended up paying $1100 for could have been done for half the price at my local hospital's dental clinic, but I was desperate and needed work done immediately. You live you learn, c'est la vie.

Anyway, I went to my local dental clinic and they said the permanent crown would cost about $750 total (+ fees) if my insurance didn't authorize the procedure. Lo and behold, my Medicaid/Healthfirst insurance denied (twice) because the crown is not "medically neccessary", even though I only have a temporary composite restoration that probably is not meant to last long term (10+ years). The $750 is much better than the $1100 I would have paid at the private clinic, but still too much. I already have a remaining $900 left to pay on the root canal and don't want to take on anymore debt. So I'm wondering if I should call a bunch of dental schools (wary of NYU after reading this thread) and see if I can get it done for a fraction of the cost. Or maybe I should just bite the bullet (funny in this case haha) and pay the $750.

I'm a student/city volunteer/freelancer, so I'm pretty poor. Any advice appreciated.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:21 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Well, Elijah, the obvious question is whether you called the existing recommendations before asking for new ones.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:51 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
The fact that you are a "student" means squat. Why do adults who are students think they deserve discounts more than working people? Ming-boggling. But anyway. You said CareCredit is exhorbitant. For any cost over 200 dollars you get ZERO interest for 6 months to pay it back, and if you don't pay it back it's like 24% interest. Yes that is high interest but what can you do? I use carecredit for my my dental and vet stuff.

And YES, Crowns are NOT medically necessary. In most cases. Get the tooth pulled for a hundred bucks if you can't afford it. I had one pulled back in the day when I couldn't afford it either.

But yes, dentistry is disgustingly overpriced. oh well. So are every other medical procedure, but tax payers have to foot the bill for those who can't afford it.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:25 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Try the NYU College of Dentistry Clinic:
New York University - College of Dentistry
These are not for free, and, their prices are quite high.
Also, they like to accelerate procedures, even if one does not really need them, right now, it could still wait, because they want and need teaching "material."

Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowclop View Post
I don't have the money to afford dental care right now. Could anyone recommend a dental clinic in Manhattan? I've heard that Bellevue will accept walk-ins.

I know I could get welfare, but would rather just go to a clinic.
Are walk-in-clinics really for free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: