Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,042 times

Advertisements

I can speak to the schools issues in NYC. I'm a recently retired NYC elementary school teacher. The scores on standardized tests that come from the children in a school have a lot more to do with their parents and their economic situation than you may think. When a school has a substantial number of advantaged children and involved parents who are able to provide in the home what is necessary for a child to be successful in school, higher scores will result for that school as a whole. Of course, there are exceptions to EVERY rule and teachers DO matter.

Having said that, it breaks my heart to see that my beloved profession has become a teach to the test factory in many schools. I have never thought or believed that test scores are the only way to judge a child's progress, but this is the way that has been chosen and I can tell you from personal knowledge that in many schools, there is far less education going on and much more test prep than is healthy for the children. The love of and desire for learning in many children is being crushed by this policy.
An FYI: I am spending the next 2 years looking for a private school for my 2 very young grandsons (because of current policies) that will educate them properly.

District 26, covering Bayside, Douglaston, and Little Neck has the highest scores as a district. Great area to live in- lots of green, multicultural, safe, lovely activities for families, and located between wondrous Manhattan and fabulous Long Island with lower housing costs (in general) than either.
Feel free to email me directly if you have more questions at: star5050verizon.net
Best to you,
Star P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,130 times
^^ I can't tell if that's some kind of ad or not but yeah Bayside/Douglaston is relatively affordable as long as you rent or buy a co-op, my mom lives there. The standalone houses are grossly overpriced, IMHO, then again what else is new in NYC.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 13,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
It would appear that you really need to take time and do some homework, as it seems you don't have a real comprehension of NYC and/or Queens.

There are no $400K houses worth purchasing, in low crime areas. If there were, everyone would move there, driving up the prices! There are coops and/or condos which you can find in various neighborhoods. Your revised budget is more realistic.

NYC has the least debt issue of any large municpality, and frankily due to Mayor Bloomberg's good financial stewardship, NYC's financial health exceeds that of virtually all municipalities in the country. That said, NYC is not totally immune to the recession, but fortunately is suffering the least, again, of all municipalities.

Upon the issue of property taxes, you need to do your homework, as it would appear that you are unaware that NYC has the lowest property taxes in the region, and likely, comparatively, the lowest property taxes in the country, particularly given the services provided. NYC, unlike virtually all other municipalities (and states), relies primarily upon Commercial/Business property taxes to fund government, while most municipalities rely almost solely upon *residential* property taxes. NYC can do this as a consequence of its overwhelmingly large business and commercial community.

NYC has virtually, if not literally, the lowest residential property taxes (comparatively) in the country. NYC also has a Sales tax and an Income tax. So, while there might in the future be some rise in residential property taxes, your *fears* of some devasting effect is unfounded!!

Btw, there are no Walmarts within the five boroughs of NYC. You would have to travel into the suburban regions of LI, NJ, and/or Westchester County, in other words, outside of NYC.

Lastly, Queens is not the most convenient to public transportation, as at least half the borough is in a two fare zone, requiiring commuters to travel by bus to reach the subway.

Queens has a dual personality, with the Western half is primarily an urban area of high density and apartment buildings in and among smallish attached and semi attached homes.

Eastern Queens is a lower density semi suburban to very suburban area of detached homes with lawns and garages. Most of which exists in a two fare zone.

The entirety of Queens is a multicultural zone. Some neighborhoods contain a predomince of certain ethnicities and/or races.

I suggest you do your homework, then return with more substantive and relevant questions.
Hey mate thanks for your advice and your right I haven't done my homework though I have tried to.

At the risk of being a pest could you tell me which part of NYC would be best for me to live in given my criteria?

Oh and by the way I don't mind if queens isn't good for subway commuters since I only plan on using the bus not the subway.

P.S. when I said new york is in debt I meant the state not the city.

Last edited by n62alpha; 10-18-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Rego Park!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City