Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:24 PM

49 posts, read 45,785 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Broadway, as I mentioned in my other thread where I got a lot of great information, I'm planning a trip to NYC to visit Broadway.

Could anyone tell me what the theater is like and what the seating, viewing wise is like? I am targeting the 'Central Orchestra' section I think, but as I'm not going to be buying Premium seating, I was wondering what the viewing experience is like from various areas of the Theater. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 05:30 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,735,560 times
There are many, many theaters in the theater district. If you're interested in any particular show, go to that show's website and there will surely be a link to see the seating chart. Orchestra is usually good but I've found mezzanine to be just as good and, in some cases, better than Orchestra (depends on the show).

Here are some discount site:

www.BroadwayBox.com

www.TheaterMania.com

www.Playbill.com

www.ILoveNYTheater.com

While you're here, you can also go to the TKTS booth in Times Square and get discounts up to 50% on select shows for same-day tickets.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,705,075 times
It's a bit subjective. Some theaters are so small that all seats are pretty good. If you have the time, you can go to the theater in person and look at their diagrams of the seating (or perhaps it's online?). They will usually warn you if it's "partial view," although I recently did that, and there was nothing partial about it. Also, if you happen to choose something with a lot of empty seats, you can quietly sneak up to a better seat.

The TKTS booth is a good invention, but make sure first that they're carrying things you want to see. By the way, people are often out in front of theaters selling tickets they can't use. I've done that myself.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:20 PM

We will be going to see Wicked.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
I like Front Mezzanine but unfortunately it usually costs as much as Center Orchestra.

For the best deal (for an out-of-towner,) do not buy in advance and go instead to the TKTS booth at 47th and Broadway a couple hours before your desired time. Tickets are close to half price and there are more than half the shows available. You won't get MORMON, but you can certainly get PHANTOM or NICE WORK any day of the week...or MAMMA MIA if you can bear it. I hear ANNIE is already on the list.
Also there are lots of OFF BROADWAY stuff listed for far less money.

There are On-Line deals even cheaper...use your Google engine.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I like Front Mezzanine but unfortunately it usually costs as much as Center Orchestra.

For the best deal (for an out-of-towner,) do not buy in advance and go instead to the TKTS booth at 47th and Broadway a couple hours before your desired time. Tickets are close to half price and there are more than half the shows available. You won't get MORMON, but you can certainly get PHANTOM or NICE WORK any day of the week...or MAMMA MIA if you can bear it. I hear ANNIE is already on the list.
Also there are lots of OFF BROADWAY stuff listed for far less money.

There are On-Line deals even cheaper...use your Google engine.

Only problem with waiting until I actually get to the city to buy is that I specifically want to see Wicked. I'm alright with the 'increased cost', although I definitely will check out Broadwaybox.com

Old 10-22-2012, 06:00 AM

For WICKED you should be easily able to get a terrific deal online.
(I saw it for FREE with comps LONG ago...I'm amazed it's still running.)

<<<Oops, partner just told me itls doing 90% business..>>

Pssst, it's NOT a very good show.

Try this...lowest I can find:

http://www.goodseattickets.com/1663094/Wicked

Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
For WICKED you should be easily able to get a terrific deal online.
(I saw it for FREE with comps LONG ago...I'm amazed it's still running.)

<<<Oops, partner just told me itls doing 90% business..>>

Pssst, it's NOT a very good show.

Try this...lowest I can find:

Wicked Tickets Gershwin Theatre 2012-10-24 19:00:00
Have you seen it personally as to know it's not very good or is that based on reviews? The reason I ask is because I've ready a lot of audience reviews and I haven't found any bad ones yet.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 AM

I saw it with Idina Menzell a couple years ago...her shrill voice, while quite good, gets on my nerves, and the whole thing is pretty much kiddie oriented and for me that kind of stuff long ago wore thin.

But there must be some appeal for others because it's been around since 2003 and has spawned a couple travelling road shows.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 AM

43,731 posts, read 44,495,603 times
Due to my budget when I go to see a Broadway show, I buy the cheapest seats available. Usually there is no problem seeing and hearing the shows from all parts of theater and if there are unsold seats you can usually move to better seats during the intermission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City