Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I attempted this move this summer and lasted for seven weeks. I lived mostly in southern California, but had lived a year and a half in SF and without a car.

We'd need to know more about you and where you lived in CA. Why Brooklyn specifically?

My observations were that NYC is much more uptight than CA. This can be fatiguing. But you could get a chill group of friends to surround yourself and see things a little differently. I didn't experience a winter so no comment there. There is more I can share if I knew more about what you value and what you don't like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Most DEFINITELY AGREE with the highlighted.

The "uptightness" is just ONE of the things I don't like about this city anymore. Just biding my time until I can find another place to move to.
Most likely the orginal poster will have to move into gentry areas of the city as well make friends not with Native New Yorkers but will mingle with out of town Transplants like himself. If I was the op if you move to NYC just try to make friends with other out of towners, quite frankly out of towners and locals dont mesh dont much anyway unless either a native or an Transplant might be a conformist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Most likely the orginal poster will have to move into gentry areas of the city as well make friends not with Native New Yorkers but will mingle with out of town Transplants like himself. If I was the op if you move to NYC just try to make friends with other out of towners, quite frankly out of towners and locals dont mesh dont much anyway unless either a native or an Transplant might be a conformist.
I agree with this about native NYers.

I found quite the opposite from native californians. They were so cool and accepting. They really are the definition of "live and let live". I do miss the state. I just wish they had jobs and wasn't unnecessarily expensive.

Many NYers are "closeminded", but the funny thing is they don't see it.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
^Just curious what kind of job couldn't you get in Cali? I've only been to Cali twice but seems like the job market is fairly varied over ther and statewide probably better overall than NY which is highly NYC dependent.

It's funny a lot of people here say there are more jobs over there, and then I see someone like you say there are more jobs here. lol, which one is it?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
^Just curious what kind of job couldn't you get in Cali? I've only been to Cali twice but seems like the job market is fairly varied over ther and statewide probably better overall than NY which is highly NYC dependent.

It's funny a lot of people here say there are more jobs over there, and then I see someone like you say there are more jobs here. lol, which one is it?
Its a Transplants market, it seems everyone is hiring out of staters. For New Yorkers California might be goldmine but also vice versa for Californians going to NYC.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
I'll probably stay in Ca, the weather alone is enough for me to stay

Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
I agree on the cultural points. The super laid back attitudes in CA drove me nuts, lol. I can only assume the same thing would happen to someone from CA coming to NYC

Old 10-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't want to get too specific, but I will say that it has to do with office work. LA is not a place that you go to if you don't have a job waiting for you. It's very who you know and if you don't know somebody, then you'll be stuck temping (if you're lucky to get consistent work) or doing retail/low wage garbage.

I heard the employment situation was much better in Northern California, but I didn't want to take the chance to find out. I might later. I absolutely LOVED Santa Barbara though. The place is so beautiful and peaceful that I honestly said I wouldn't mind being "homeless" there. LOL! Unfortunately, there aren't any decent paying jobs there either.

Most decent/liveable wage positions are taken by people who will NEVER leave. They don't hop from job to job for "better" pay or opportunities. They will stay at the same company and work for the same person until you close the company down, they die or relocate.

You will also meet people who have worked at CVS or the supermarkets for 20 years or more because it's union. We don't do that in NYC. We consider retail jobs temporary part-time gigs for extra money not longterm career goals, unless you're working for a high end establishment like Michael Kors, Chanel, etc. There's lots of poverty and struggle in LA that people aren't aware of until they LIVE there. The funny thing is many don't consider themselves poor, but they are.

Quote:
The job I have now is from knowing someone. An opening came up, a friend put a word in, I was interviewed by two people and got the job. I don't know if the job market is doing well or not here, but it seems like there are more opportunities to get hired for retail jobs than office ones.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I agree on the cultural points. The super laid back attitudes in CA drove me nuts, lol. I can only assume the same thing would happen to someone from CA coming to NYC
Generally Native New Yorkers are stuck up, hopefully in due time most will be shipped out and down to Florida.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I'll probably stay in Ca, the weather alone is enough for me to stay
You made the right decision.

You're not on top of each other in California like you are in NYC. Your apartments are 10 times bigger and AFFORDABLE. You also don't have SUPERS. I forgot all about these people until I came back here. Property managers are so much better. They call up someone to fix your issue IMMEDIATELY and you don't have to worry about it.

The only negatives are lack of decent paying jobs, millions of homeless all over the place, druggies everywhere, and horrible public transportation. I can't believe a so-called "world class city" has such substandard public transportation and only 4 or 5 subway lines in the entire city in 2012. Pitiful.

Other than the above, most of the people are pretty chill.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Generally Native New Yorkers are stuck up, hopefully in due time most will be shipped out and down to Florida.
OMG, when I first moved to LA it was culture shock. I was not ready for the openly friendly atmosphere. People said hi and smiled at you just to be nice and didn't want anything. It took me a couple more years to get down with this, because it was so foreign to me.

Basically, LA is all about giving out fake compliments and schmoozing like you give a damn when you really don't, all while doing it with a smile on your face.

It works here in NYC too. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City