Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 PM

46 posts, read 135,290 times

Advertisements

Maybe because it is New York, sometimes, it is the location factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying. Yes, the apartment he is looking at is presumably unregulated. Yes, its rent is still affected by the existence of regulated apartments (whether they're RC, RS, 80/20, whatever) because regulation constricts supply. If regulation didn't exist, rents on currently unregulated apartments would fall significantly, though of course rents on regulated units would rise (well, some of them--a significant number of RS apartments, especially in the outer boroughs, have legal rents equal to or exceeding the market).
Absolutely correct.

I don't think many people realize that so many units in NYC are RS or RC. I think most believe that it;s a few here and there but the truth is (as you stated) it is closer to 50%.

The supply in Manhattan of free market apartments is simply very, very low compared to the demand. In this case, the restriction on supply is created through government policy.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
Everybody keeps talking about Manhattan. What about the high rents even in most of Queens, Brooklyn, and even enough of the Bronx? (I don't know much about Staten Island's rental rates). Let's offer up commentary and informed viewpoints about the boroughs outside Manhattan as well.

There aren't exactly reasonable rental rates to be found for much or most of the neighborhoods of the boroughs outside Manhattan either (i.e, even compared to other major cities around the U.S.). It isn't just Manhattan. So even if one is willing to live in the outer boroughs (e.g., in Flushing, Fresh Meadows, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Bayside, Jamaica, Flatbush, Bay Ridge, Park Slope, the West Bronx, the North Bronx, Coney Island, etc. etc. etc. . . . or even in some neighborhoods considered more lower-end, run-down or remote than these), the rents one will find are often quite high for what you get compared to other big and medium cities in the U.S.

It seems that to live in New York City in anything other than living alone in a rooming house unit (i.e., a single-room-occupancy or SRO unit), you either have to be (1) super-rich or else (2) very poor (i.e., poor enough to qualify for subsidized housing) or else (3) share a living space with a multitude of roommates or housemates and split the costs amongst each other.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:56 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Everybody keeps talking about Manhattan. What about the high rents even in most of Queens, Brooklyn, and even enough of the Bronx? (I don't know much about Staten Island's rental rates). Let's offer up commentary and informed viewpoints about the boroughs outside Manhattan as well.

There aren't exactly reasonable rental rates to be found for much or most of the neighborhoods of the boroughs outside Manhattan either (i.e, even compared to other major cities around the U.S.). It isn't just Manhattan. So even if one is willing to live in the outer boroughs (e.g., in Flushing, Fresh Meadows, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Bayside, Jamaica, Flatbush, Bay Ridge, Park Slope, the West Bronx, the North Bronx, Coney Island, etc. etc. etc. . . . or even in some neighborhoods considered more lower-end, run-down or remote than these), the rents one will find are often quite high for what you get compared to other big and medium cities in the U.S.

It seems that to live in New York City in anything other than living alone in a rooming house unit (i.e., a single-room-occupancy or SRO unit), you either have to be (1) super-rich or else (2) very poor (i.e., poor enough to qualify for subsidized housing) or else (3) share a living space with a multitude of roommates or housemates and split the costs amongst each other.
The rents in the outer boroughs arent hat high.

My parents were paying $650/ month for a 1 bedroom in midwood, Brooklyn in 1989 . Accounting for inflation, that rate should be around $1200 nowadays.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 AM

371 posts, read 624,850 times
I hope there isn't a statue of limitations on laughing at the malapropisms in this thread because you guys have me cracking up!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
Ask seventhfloor

Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
ask seventhfloor
lol

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 PM

657 posts, read 716,980 times
the story of the the "have and the have not " .............. we the poor must pay the rich to remain rich. that just suck too

Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
the story of the the "have and the have not " .............. we the poor must pay the rich to remain rich. that just suck too
So offer us an alternative solution. Not just in rents but in anything you buy, the "poor" must pay to the wealthy so they can remain wealthy. When you buy a flat screen TV, you are making the owner of the TV company richer, same goes for anything else.

"Rich" people are problem solvers...they see what's lacking and then for a business to solve the problem and in turn get compensated for it, leading to their wealth. Nothing wrong with that. You're mad because you are on the other side of the fence. You are a consumer, not a producer like the "rich" hence why you THINK it's unfair, but it really isn't.

If you want to become rich, become a problem solver and charge people to solve the problem. That simple.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times
Simple supply and demand. If people weren't paying those prices, those prices wouldn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City