Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,048 times

Advertisements

It was an innocent question. Geez....

Last edited by marihark; 10-25-2012 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Got the answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
There are still plenty of poor people in Manhattan. But they probably live far from where you were walking.

Come on uptown to Washington Heights or East Harlem and you'll find many kids living in public housing or tenements. To a lesser degree that's also true on the Lower East Side and in Central Harlem.

But most importantly, how do you know that all the kids you saw were poor? Or did you just assume that since most were maybe black or Latino that they were poor?

Bad assumption. Very very bad assumption.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marihark View Post
I was visiting Manhattan yesterday and I walked by several public schools and saw children playing at recess. I keep hearing about how poor these children are, so my question is: how can their parents afford to live in Manhattan? Why don't they move somewhere cheaper if they are so poor?
If you think they were poor just because they were at public school, you're also wrong.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
There are some excellent public schools. To assume someone is poor because they go to public school is frankly disgustingly ignorant.

As for your question on how "poor" people can afford to live in Manhattan- there are subsidized housing buildings and lower income housing.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,048 times
Actually, I had attended a taping of a talk show that mentioned one of the schools we passes - it was not too far from Times Square. On the talk show they also said "and other schools nearby". I was a visitor from out of state who found everything in Manhattan so expensive. My son (who attends public school) asked me the question, and I was just curious.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, I had attended a taping of a talk show that mentioned one of the schools we passes - it was not too far from Times Square. On the talk show they also said "and other schools nearby". I was a visitor from out of state who found everything in Manhattan so expensive. My son (who attends public school) asked me the question, and I was just curious.

So teach your son not to be ignorant and make assumptions instead of posting the same ignorance online.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
OP could tell they are so "poor" because they can't afford private school. Because it's in manhattan that's how you can tell between "poor" and not poor.

/troll

Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
It was an innocent question. Geez....
I read your original question the first time and found it offensive, but chose not to respond.

All I could think to myself was "How dare you?"

They have every right to "live" in Manhattan like everyone else. In fact, they were here FIRST, then all of you outsiders came in paying stupid rents for shoeboxes forcing many out of affordable housing.

Let me stop here... but you are a SNOB.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM

One might also argue that the "rich" work in NYC but live in the luxurious suburbs of Westchester, NJ, and LI. With kids maybe even attending schools outside NYC.

By the way, don't you know that "private" schools don't have to mean money either? Look at Regis. It's FREE. You just have to be smart - imagine that. And it's a great school.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
The problem is that your "innocent" question is presumptive in nature. Your child may have posed the question, but:

1) You are not a child and have the ability to filter the question with your knowledge and experience.

2) obviously, you could not "filter", and the question was not simply that of an innocent child, but a question a child could conceive of ONLY if fed certain FACTS and/or PRESUMPTTIONS, which a child could NOT conceive upon with his own knowledge and experience.

3) For example, that the children in Manhattan public schools are "poor". The child had to have been TOLD this!! A child cannot conclude such a thing independantly.

4) you pose such a question, presumptively, without any supporting fact, and w/o any CONTEXT whatsover! The question is open and general, encompassing ALL Manhattan, and one would presume the entirety of NYC.

Your response is equally lacking context and substance.

The only fact asserted by you, is that you saw children at play, in a Public School yard, near Times Square. That is it! No other facts, context, nor substantiation. It would appear that based upon those facts and those facts alone, you presume them to be poor.

You need to explain your presumption and/or lack of factual contet and/or substantiation.

The reason is that you appear to be *thinking* and *acting* with a prejudiced mind and outlook. Most fearfully, it would appear that your are transfering that "prejudice" to your child, for if your child did in fact pose that question, a question which emantes from a certain prejudiced viewpoint. An innocent objective mind could not have concluded such a question w/o the presumption of those children being poor!!

Understand?

Similarly, your response that you are from out of state, attending a "talk show", in which one of the schools you passed was mentioned, along with other schools.

You fail to state the subject, nature and context, of the talk show. Why was the school mentioned? In what context was the school mentioned, etc....

You appear to again be presumptive in presuming that the respondents to this thread would be of a similar mindset and viewpoint of yours and your child, but with more knowledge and awareness to be able to answer your curiosity. One assume that the forum respondents are not poor, can afford to live in Manhattan, and do not send their children to public schools!

Did you assune that some of the parents of those children w/b in this forum, or did you simply assume that everyone w/b such as yourself? Viewing those children in the same context, whatever that might be, of the "talk show" and "out of staters"??

How do you presume that those children and/or their parents would take such an "innocent" question, if posed to them?

Your question was not "innocent", it was naive, presumptuous", and founded with prejudice, the sort of which (race, class, suburban) I do not presume, but only acknowledge the existence of.

Sorry, if you were taken aback by the response, but in a truly open forum, in which everyone is not like you, nor of the same or equal mentality or class, one should expect viewpoints which may clash and confront.

Thoughts, views and opinions of a froum are light rays of light emanating from a Prism, varied and never from the same angle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City