Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times

Advertisements

More webcams Watch Hurricane Sandy Live - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
Why are people acting as if NJ is going to get slammed and NYC is going to get nothing? This storm is gigantic and NYC and NJ are not all that far from each other. If the storm makes landfall in central NJ like they are predicting it to you can bet NY will be feeling major effects from it, especially coastal areas.
The city, and Manhattan in particular, may feel confident because our powerlines are underground. We rarely if ever lose power in a storm, whereas it happens all the time in Connecticut and New Jersey, even for relatively minor storms. I'm sure they feel differently on Long Island. I'm especially worried about Fire Island.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
Very true. Unfortunately we won't be on the periphery- we WILL be in the center. This is a storm thats hundreds of miles wide and will not follow typical hurricane patterns. We might not see the eye, but we will be in the zone that gets hit hard. It's going to sit on top of us for days rather than move right across like a typical hurricane.
Look at the latest cone:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...49W5_NL_sm.gif

That's not just the epicenter.

With time this storm has moved further west and south of NYC. NJ will get crushed. It looks like we'll be spared most of it.

I think we may be looking at it with our NYC narcissism. This storm isn't dangerous because it's headed for NYC. It's dangerous because it's going to hit a lot of places in the US. It doesn't have to hit NYC in order to be a big deal. lol

Old 10-28-2012, 09:36 PM

237 posts, read 482,605 times
I don't think you realize: just because the storm is not moving directly over us does not mean we will be "spared". This storm is gigantic and its effects will be felt for miles and miles east and west of that cone you are seeing. We are certainly close enough to the epicenter to feel a lot of it.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Quote:
I don't think you realize: just because the storm is not moving directly over us does not mean we will be "spared". This storm is gigantic and its effects will be felt for miles and miles east and west of that cone you are seeing. We are certainly close enough to the epicenter to feel a lot of it.
Absolutely, positively. People have lost homes in the NC on the coast today, and they are nowhere near the epicenter.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Look at the latest cone:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...49W5_NL_sm.gif

That's not just the epicenter.

With time this storm has moved further west and south of NYC. NJ will get crushed. It looks like we'll be spared most of it.

I think we may be looking at it with our NYC narcissism. This storm isn't dangerous because it's headed for NYC. It's dangerous because it's going to hit a lot of places in the US. It doesn't have to hit NYC in order to be a big deal. lol
lol you're completely missing the point. Just because the cone does not hit is does not mean we won't be hit with 70 MPH winds and heavy rain. Theres no NYC narcissism involved. It's not dangerous because its headed toward us. Its dangerous AND its headed toward us.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times
I'm in Texas, we know hurricanes well down here & I'm praying that y'all are safe up there. God bless.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 PM

146 posts, read 190,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I don't get why people get bent out of shape when decisions like this are made as a precaution. It's hard to predict exactly how the storm is going to go, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Yeah, maybe it won't be as severe as originally expected, but if it is and people get injured because transportation wasn't shut down everyone would get their panties in a bunch and blame the same people for not doing enough to prevent a tragedy. It's not like they shut it down for every storm.
Thank you!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that we will be spared. I'm simply stating that we won't get the brunt end of it and as time goes on, we may even be spared the brunt end.

This is NYC narcissism at work.

NYC NARCISSIST LOGIC:

SINCE WE KNOW THIS STORM IS EPIC THEN IT MUST BE BECAUSE IT WILL HIT NYC HARD.

IF THIS STORM DOES NOT HIT NYC HARD THEN IT CANNOT BE EPIC.

ANYONE WHO SAYS THAT THIS STORM WILL NOT HIT NYC HARD IS THEREFORE SAYING THAT THIS STORM ISN'T EPIC.

SINCE WE KNOW THIS STORM IS BEING PROCLAIMED AS EPIC, IT IS BECAUSE IT WILL HIT NYC HARD.

ANYONE WHO SAYS THIS STORM WON'T HIT NYC HARD IS THEREFORE DENYING THE EPICNESS OF THIS STORM AND IS WRONG BECAUSE THIS STORM IS CLEARLY EPIC PRECISELY BECAUSE IT WILL HIT NYC HARD.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Widespread power outages -- over several states for several days -- are expected. Even if you don't live in a "house" neighborhood with trees falling on power lines, you may suffer from the outages because the power system is interconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm not saying that we will be spared. I'm simply stating that we won't get the brunt end of it and as time goes on, we may even be spared the brunt end.

This is NYC narcissism at work.

NYC NARCISSIST LOGIC:

SINCE WE KNOW THIS STORM IS EPIC THEN IT MUST BE BECAUSE IT WILL HIT NYC HARD.

IF THIS STORM DOES NOT HIT NYC HARD THEN IT CANNOT BE EPIC.

ANYONE WHO SAYS THAT THIS STORM WILL NOT HIT NYC HARD IS THEREFORE SAYING THAT THIS STORM ISN'T EPIC.

SINCE WE KNOW THIS STORM IS BEING PROCLAIMED AS EPIC, IT IS BECAUSE IT WILL HIT NYC HARD.

ANYONE WHO SAYS THIS STORM WON'T HIT NYC HARD IS THEREFORE DENYING THE EPICNESS OF THIS STORM AND IS WRONG BECAUSE THIS STORM IS CLEARLY EPIC PRECISELY BECAUSE IT WILL HIT NYC HARD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City