Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 91,653 times

Advertisements

Hello, Everyone.
I need help with confirming something. I know Rent is based on 30% of your income . Every year we have to fill out this big booklet and have employer fill out the income sheet. For the 20 years I've lived in my project they have always took the total income that is filled on the bottom of the page (the boxes with total of 1st half term and 2nd half term) and took the 30% of that.

This year, I have made less money, but my rent went UP about 40 dollars. Can somebody explain to me why it is calculated this way? They said they took the rate i currently have (9$/hr) and the amount of hours work per week (40) to calculate my income. But that is DIFFERENT than the amount i actually make the past year.

Can someone help me with this?
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 02:58 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
probably an increase in fees or base payments.

You're lucky! I pay $500 more a month for my apartment this year and my pay went down a bit too. Fortunately my taxes increased so I can continue to pay to subsidize New Yorkers who are earning basically minimum wage.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Azhou:

I calculate:
(40 x $9 x 52 x.3 ) / 12 = $468/month rent

What figure do you get? Do you get to deduct anything like medical bills or child care costs? (I don't really know how the NYCHA works?)

Did you make LESS than $9 an hour last year?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Azhou:

I calculate:
(40 x $9 x 52 x.3 ) / 12 = $468/month rent

What figure do you get? Do you get to deduct anything like medical bills or child care costs? (I don't really know how the NYCHA works?)

Did you make LESS than $9 an hour last year?
Yes, I made less than 9 dollars an hour last year. and nycha have always calculated what we made in the PAST YEAR not current or future. Which is ridiculous, because isn't the point of the boxes on the bottom (first term, second term) to tell how much you make in the PAST YEAR. I only recently got the raise, i used to make 7.50 per hour! How can NYCHA ask me for money i didnt make. It's absurd! I tried to talk to them over the phone and they are no help, I want to find some legal services to help me figure this out. I just wanted to see if anyone else have the same problem as I did.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM

188 posts, read 276,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhou29 View Post
Hello, Everyone.
I need help with confirming something. I know Rent is based on 30% of your income . Every year we have to fill out this big booklet and have employer fill out the income sheet. For the 20 years I've lived in my project they have always took the total income that is filled on the bottom of the page (the boxes with total of 1st half term and 2nd half term) and took the 30% of that.

This year, I have made less money, but my rent went UP about 40 dollars. Can somebody explain to me why it is calculated this way? They said they took the rate i currently have (9$/hr) and the amount of hours work per week (40) to calculate my income. But that is DIFFERENT than the amount i actually make the past year.

Can someone help me with this?
Thank you in advance

troll much ?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyanese View Post
troll much ?
I am not a troll, i am actually in need of help about this problem. If you're not going to be helpful just don't speak at all. Obviously living in projects mean we are not doing well financially, so every dollar is important to us. It might not mean anything to you.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Axhou,

I have heard second hand that HUD has changed a lot of the rules by which affordability is calculated. Beyond that I cannot add anything with surety.
Perhaps they are now using ANTICPATED income, which seems stupid because nobody really knows the future.

Everything the City does has an appeal process that goes with it. Just file an appeal saying you think a mistake was made and tell them you made only $7.50 and not $9.00.
They will have to take action and even if it takes long, if you are correct then they will rebate your extra payments (about $100/month by rough calculation.) You have nothing to lose.
Do it all in writing.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM

345 posts, read 853,034 times
You may have reached a cap in the rent. Some people pay a cap or 30%.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 29,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyanese View Post
troll much ?

Don't be an ass, you have no idea how each persons struggle is or what bills and responsibilities they have to deal with, so yes, an rent increase is harmful when someone is scared they will lose their apartment because they cannot yet afford to pay so much money unexpectedly.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 29,927 times
Hi, is there any update to what you found out? I am going through that problem right now, and my rent just went sky high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City