Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I just found out a friend has a serious bedbug infestation in his apartment. He claims to be clean but claims that the bedbugs are from either of the 2 next door neighbors on the same floor who he claims are slobs. So from what I have been told the landlord has been slow in responding, and that the bedbugs have gotten onto a large majority of his clothes and furniture. His roomates have also gotten bitten and now have rashes. For now its frustrating because he has no place to go, but maybe perhaps to crash on someones sofa, or to check into a local motel.

My question is: can bedbugs spread like this from one apartment to another on their own without hitching a ride on someones clothes or in their bags? Since my friend claims that the next door neighbors are slobs, I was wondering how true can that be if he's never actually set foot inside their apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Yes, bedbugs can't travel far on their own, but they can certainly move around a building.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Yep. They can travel within a building.
And tell your friend (that unlike other pests) having bedbugs has nothing to do with being a slob.
Some of the most ritzy hotels in Manhattan were hit bedbug infestations.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
My question is: can bedbugs spread like this from one apartment to another on their own without hitching a ride on someones clothes or in their bags?
Yes, this is most certainly possible.

While having a clean apartment doesn't prevent bedbugs, it certainly hinders any attempt to get rid of them. Your friend won't be able to completely get rid of them until his neighbors apartments are successfully treated as well.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
LOL @ can they spread on their own ? Yes,that's what they do!

There is no getting rid of them when they have infested multiple apartments on multiple floors of the same building.It becomes nearly impossible, as they are likely to keep coming back.The only real solution is to abandon everything and move.

Williamsburg has such a bad bed bug problem that some people have started to flee the neighborhood.

I have a friend who is a hotel manager and he told me that when they discover bed bugs in a room they close off all the surrounding rooms and all of the rooms above and below all of those rooms,destroy all the furniture,carpeting,etc,remove wall coverings and flooring before fumigating and then completely redo the rooms.If they discover that the bed bugs have already spread to a room above or below the originally discovered infestation then they immediately expand the isolation area to the next floor above or below.Everything gets destroyed( burned).Pretty scary stuff.

Bed bugs have nothing to do with cleanliness.You can pick them up on a subway bench and bring them home.And you might not notice them until they have infested your apartment and spread to your neighbors apartment.People shouldn't think that because they are "clean" they couldn't be the source of the problem.The person who is the subject of the original post might just as well be the typhoid Mary.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-22-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
I wonder how this whole thing even started...we never had this problem before.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-22-2012, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I know it's a horrible situation to be in and that pretty much everything has to be thrown out.....I guess these bed bugs are worse than roaches.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I wonder how this whole thing even started...we never had this problem before.
An increase in world travel by the masses,the banning of ddt in pesticides and the disregard of laws about reselling used mattresses.Bed bugs were always a problem up until about ww2.

The labels on mattresses and pillows that used to say that selling used mattresses was illegal were there because of bed bugs. I'm not even sure those labels are still there.Are they ?

The wide acceptance of buying used clothes(now called vintage) hasn't helped.The whole problem in Williamsburg is directly related to recycling of used furniture,used mattresses and vintage clothing,crowded living conditions and sleeping around.Historically,bedbugs have always thrived in crowded ghetto conditions.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
An increase in world travel by the masses,the banning of ddt in pesticides and the disregard of laws about reselling used mattresses.Bed bugs were always a problem up until about ww2.

The labels on mattresses and pillows that used to say that selling used mattresses was illegal were there because of bed bugs. I'm not even sure those labels are still there.Are they ?

The wide acceptance of buying used clothes(now called vintage) hasn't helped.The whole problem in Williamsburg is directly related to recycling of used furniture,used mattresses and vintage clothing,crowded living conditions and sleeping around.Historically,bedbugs have always thrived in crowded ghetto conditions.
Hummm...maybe we can blame the "hipsters" and their love of vintage clothing lol....

but on a serious note I never knew it was once illegal to sell used mattresses.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
"Used Mattresses"...what a creepy concept.

Yes bedbugs can walk under drywall or into light fixtures and easily stroll to an adjoining apartment.

Quote:
For now its frustrating because he has no place to go, but maybe perhaps to crash on someones sofa,
and then spread the infestation to his kindly but stupid friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City