Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtonewyork View Post
It depends on what you expect to get out of it. If you want a boring life of working as a air conditioning technician, or whatever other hum drum boring job- want to retire at 65 and then watch TV until you die - then yes, moving to NYC does not make sense.

If you want to take a gamble, have adventures, date tons of people, make friends, experience defeat, have your heart broken, fall in love, Soar to the highest highs and lowest lows- then NYC is the only place for you.

Life is not just about earning a wage that is marginally above the median and wasting away in some provincial backwater- it is about getting out there and mixing it up and then seeing what you end up with.

My two cents.
Nice way of glamorizing things. You can fall in love and have a nice life elsewhere. You may actually have time to breathe and enjoy life instead of working 24/7 to pay for a rat infested shoebox. Oh wait, you haven't even LIVED in New York. That explains the idealism and arrogance. Evidently, I am taken aback. You ARE a credible authority on these matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Nice way of glamorizing things. You can fall in love and have a nice life elsewhere. You may actually have time to breathe and enjoy life instead of working 24/7 to pay for a rat infested shoebox. Oh wait, you haven't even LIVED in New York. That explains the idealism and arrogance. Evidently, I am taken aback. You ARE a credible authority on these matters.
Part of this post makes a good point. I can't quite figure out why this person makes posts as if he is a resident here but calls himself "MovingtoNewYork" (with a City-Data join date of this month). Strange. Maybe he will explain.

The part of the post that I don't quite like or get is the "rat infested shoebox" part. I know plenty of people in this city at all income levels and none that I know of who have rats. Also there are plenty of quite large apartments in the outer boroughs that do not require someone to work 24/7 to afford.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 AM

37 posts, read 63,899 times
Quote:
not sure what you are talking about here - but there is a reason why it is difficult to do any of these things to the same degree that you can do them in NYC, and that reason is opportunity

More specifically, sheer volume of opportunities.

Whether you are looking for a job, to get laid, to find a romantic partner, for entertainment, etc. There are very few places on earth that can rival NYC in terms of the amount of opportunities you will have to do these things.

If i want a date - in NYC there are thousands of people that I can date - in a smaller like San francisco, not so much

If i want a job, or to change industries - there are hundreds in NYC, in any other US city- not so much.

I have lived in San Francisco, Palo Alto, Boston, Nice France, Dijon France and New York City - of all those places NYC is definitely underpasses in terms of the abundance of opportunities it presents people.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Part of this post makes a good point. I can't quite figure out why this person makes posts as if he is a resident here but calls himself "MovingtoNewYork" (with a City-Data join date of this month). Strange. Maybe he will explain.

The part of the post that I don't quite like or get is the "rat infested shoebox" part. I know plenty of people in this city at all income levels and none that I know of who have rats. Also there are plenty of quite large apartments in the outer boroughs that do not require someone to work 24/7 to afford.
Hey, I actually chose this handle because I am compiling a bunch of resources for people who are moving to NYC - hopefully to answer some of the questions that I see come up here all the time.

Ive been living in NYC for the past 2 years, before that a variety of other places around the country.

Cheers.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Also, I don't have to glamorize, NYC has done that for me. I don't have to sell anyone on moving here, the reasons are apparent enough for those willing to look.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYorker View Post
If you can afford 3K to move into a closet then by Golly move to NYC. or if you like to live like a cramped sardine with 5 room-mates from hell in Manhattan then come to this wonderful grimmy city full of wonderful Piizza.
there is more to life than having a spacious apartment.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM

38 posts, read 63,016 times
Virginia is probably the most borin' place I ever stayed at. Glad my cousin moved out.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Going from NYC to almost anywhere else in the USA is a difference in social life comparable to a suburbanite getting rid of their car.

However real city living in the USA is so rare (and so expensive) that most people either never had the opportunity to experience it or immediately deemed it not worth the price and didn't look into it. You have to be smart to live in a real city otherwise you'll get whipped out or to the ghettos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City