Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM

145 posts, read 347,338 times

Advertisements

So I was talking with a friend working for Goldman Sachs and obviously he's making 150k or somewhere close to that given how prestigious his job is. I asked him how he likes NYC and he says that he hates it because it's too expensive and he's not making enough money to have anything left over in savings. WTF? That's actually ridiculous. Is this serious?

I want to move to the east coast very badly because it seems much more cosmopolitan than the west coast, etc. (only WC city i Can see myself living in is SF) but if 130k+ isn't good enough, I don't know if it's such a good idea. I'm interested in the accounting industry and would probably be starting out at 60k at very best in NYC and I'd be dead broke in that case.

I'm wondering if the reason he finds this not enough just because he lives the yuppie lifestyle and blows his money on unnecessary material items/getting drunk every weekend. If I moved to NYC, I don't have to live in Manhattan, but my top concerns initially will be living in a place that is affordable, but not in an unsafe area where I'll get mugged every afternoon. This is most important and I need to have access to a gym/live not so far from the city that I need a car. Is this doable in NYC without being an absolute baller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Your friends has probably some expensive habits. Like this guy.
[IMG]c580019.r19.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/charlie-sheen-cocaine.jpg[/IMG]

60k is the entry level salary for auditors in one of the big 4, and many of the midsize accounting firms. After getting your CPA you'll instantly get a bump to the 70-80k range. As you build your experience and contacts network, you should be making even more.
Now this is the path for accounting auditors, regular accountants dont start out at 60k and in general dont make that much money, unless you end up working for large company.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 AM

802 posts, read 1,367,925 times
bull****

Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
I'm wondering if the reason he finds this not enough just because he lives the yuppie lifestyle and blows his money on unnecessary material items/getting drunk every weekend.
This is exactly why he is finding it expensive to live here.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM

45 posts, read 74,787 times
Haha...I get the sense someone is having a very good time trolling here. First $100k wasn't enough. Now $150k. What's next? $250k, 500k?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM

297 posts, read 729,890 times
darn hipsters

Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
darn hipsters
Hipsters don't go into accounting, generally.

Yes you can make it on 150K. Anyone buying unnecessary material items and drinking every weekend is going to find themselves broke regardless of how much they're making.

You'll want to know where you're working first, and that will dictate which area you would likely move to.

If you land a job in midtown, Queens or NJ would work. If you land a job downtown, Brooklyn will be your best bet.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,002 times
if your friend has a higher up role at goldmans, 150k isn't enough for him because he's probably trying to play ball with the people that are higher up than him.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
He has more money and more problems because he's trying to keep up with the Joneses

Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
So I was talking with a friend working for Goldman Sachs and obviously he's making 150k or somewhere close to that given how prestigious his job is. I asked him how he likes NYC and he says that he hates it because it's too expensive and he's not making enough money to have anything left over in savings. WTF? That's actually ridiculous. Is this serious?

I want to move to the east coast very badly because it seems much more cosmopolitan than the west coast, etc. (only WC city i Can see myself living in is SF) but if 130k+ isn't good enough, I don't know if it's such a good idea. I'm interested in the accounting industry and would probably be starting out at 60k at very best in NYC and I'd be dead broke in that case.

I'm wondering if the reason he finds this not enough just because he lives the yuppie lifestyle and blows his money on unnecessary material items/getting drunk every weekend. If I moved to NYC, I don't have to live in Manhattan, but my top concerns initially will be living in a place that is affordable, but not in an unsafe area where I'll get mugged every afternoon. This is most important and I need to have access to a gym/live not so far from the city that I need a car. Is this doable in NYC without being an absolute baller?
Posts like yours kill me.

There are 7 million NYers living in all five boroughs. How many do you think are making $150,000 a year?

At 60,000 a year, you will have to live in one of the five boroughs. I wouldn't do Staten Island, because there is NO SUBWAY to get there and you will need to be dependent on the bridges or ferry to get you across.

I think you'll do well near Queensbridge, Astoria, Roosevelt Island and even the Bronx.

As far as the gym is concerned, you will have to TRAVEL to it like the rest of us who do not live in walking distance to one like in Manhattan.

Personally, I'd stay on the west coast if I was you. I'd take California over NY any day due to the "open mindedness" of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City