Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM

18 posts, read 22,218 times

Advertisements

My lease expires on Dec 31st. I've resigned the lease for 1 year term in November. It's an apartment building.

I just found a new place and would like to know if I give my present landlord 30 day notice will that be good enough to nullify the next years lease. It's not in effect anyway yet, and there is still plenty of time to rent this apartment. Also the building was badly damaged by sandy. still intermittent electricity and hot water, no elevator or garbage collection. Any way I can use that to my advantage if he resists?

Also can I asks him to use my security deposit so that I don't have to pay December's rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
You can ask for anything, sure. Doesn't mean he has to give it to you. You've both signed a legally binding lease. I imagine if you told him you wanted to move, and that you had someone else willing to sign a fresh lease for the same terms as the one you're terminating, and you have a good relationship with the landlord, he may let you.

The security deposit is supposed to be used only for damages caused by the tenant, not to count as rent money. However it's certainly not unheard of that it is used that way anyway. Maybe your landlord is okay with that, maybe not. I wouldn't let you, because what if I go to inspect the place after you move and you've left behind damages?

Ask nicely and hope for the best basically, but bottom line is you're asking for a favor that doesn't legally have to provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: