Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 AM

72 posts, read 183,865 times

Advertisements

I'm heading up to NYC for the holidays, and am doing so to visit a sick relative, but also to look around at potential neighborhoods and places to live.

I'm a home based entrepreneur, and have managed to amass a very substantial fortune. At first, I cringed at the mere notion of paying NY taxes - let alone NYC with the extra city tax added on - but a recent death of a close friend made me realize that...

...life truly is not promised. I mean, we all KNOW that, but the realization of it can be life changing, as it was for me.

I'm not saying that I'll pay high taxes with a smile, even with this new outlook on life, but NYC and LA are two cities that I've longed to live in, and I don't want to delay making that happen.

With that being said, it has come down to NYC and LA. Both have high COL, but they both offer amenities that most other cities simply do not. I've considered everything from Orlando to Atlanta to Houston, but those always felt like cities I'd 'settle on' rather than places I REALLY want to live.

So, New Yorkers, in your opinion, what makes NYC worth it? I don't want to express what my interests are just yet, because I don't want to steer your answers in any direction. You may say things I would never think of, but would be appealing nonetheless.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 AM

34,135 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
I'm heading up to NYC for the holidays, and am doing so to visit a sick relative, but also to look around at potential neighborhoods and places to live.

I'm a home based entrepreneur, and have managed to amass a very substantial fortune. At first, I cringed at the mere notion of paying NY taxes - let alone NYC with the extra city tax added on - but a recent death of a close friend made me realize that...

...life truly is not promised. I mean, we all KNOW that, but the realization of it can be life changing, as it was for me.

I'm not saying that I'll pay high taxes with a smile, even with this new outlook on life, but NYC and LA are two cities that I've longed to live in, and I don't want to delay making that happen.

With that being said, it has come down to NYC and LA. Both have high COL, but they both offer amenities that most other cities simply do not. I've considered everything from Orlando to Atlanta to Houston, but those always felt like cities I'd 'settle on' rather than places I REALLY want to live.

So, New Yorkers, in your opinion, what makes NYC worth it? I don't want to express what my interests are just yet, because I don't want to steer your answers in any direction. You may say things I would never think of, but would be appealing nonetheless.
I have everything at my fingertips. That's what makes it worth it. I can literally do anything I want. And I still live in NYC but I'm an hour away from Manhattan by public transportation.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM

106,843 posts, read 109,092,448 times
as we approach retirement age we realized all the things we would want as we age are right here. public transportation if we can not drive, the worlds finest medical facilitites, endless things to do and places to go locally and the ability to still do things all winter .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-22-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 AM

34,135 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as we approach retirement age we realizzed all the things we would want as we age are right here. public transportation if we can not drive, the worlds finest medical facilitites, endless things to do and places to go locally and the ability to still do things all winter .
Fine dining, great sports NEW YORK KNICKS, yes to the medical facilities we have Columbia Presbyterian, Sloan Kettering, Montefiore, shout out to JFK airport, beaches, mountains upstate, we literally have everything we could desire here.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-22-2012, 11:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,414,880 times
connections to all points.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,101,563 times
the jobs.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:04 PM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times
24/7 public transportation, access to food and medicine as well as things to do even for people with low budgets.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,005,904 times
There are a lot of facilities if you like to go out. I love swimming, for example, and there are many gyms that have pools all around the city.

You will find restaurants of all types in NYC. Ethnic restaurants owned by immigrants are usually comparatively cheap.

I'm mainly here because I am a writer. That can be done from anywhere in the world, but its easier to make money off it if you're in a place that has a lot of film, publishing, and news jobs. NYC (and the state as a whole) also has a number of good educational facilities.

But the reasons why one person likes NY (or any other place) will be different from the reasons another person likes it. So just explore the city and decide why you yourself like it.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:08 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,966 times
Like ppl have said we have everything one the most vibrant lively cities in the world, great walkability, good public transportation, so much diverse neighborhoods you can experience almost every culture here much more than in LA. The fact that you can leave your apartment go down the block and there's like 5 restaurants, a laundromat, subway station, a park, several stores, and bars within a few blocks is such a huge plus it's such a more convenient lifestyle and you really feel more a part of the city instead of always being so isolated in a car everywhere you like in LA and most American cities.

If your into culture we have the best museums, art galleries, theaters, restaurants, and shopping. We have the biggest and most diverse nightlife scene in the country so however you like to party can be found here.

A great sports city if your into sports there's also always a million events going on everyday.

If you want to escape the city you can go to the Hudson Valley and experience some breathtaking mountain views ot out to Long Islands east end and visit some of the most beautiful beaches in the country.

These are my reasons why NYC is a better place to live than LA but idk if your into that sort of lifestyle because all the reasons I prefer NY could be reasons someone dislikes it.

Last edited by joshd9124; 12-22-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 05:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,328,981 times
The walking culture- there's truly no other city like that in the US. I live in the city for 5 years and truly never NEEDED a car the way you do in pretty much any other US city outside a few urban core pockets here and there. I loved the physically healthy feeling of being outside for about 1.5-2 hours a day (more on the weekends), being able to slowly (well, slower than in a car/ taxi) take in the sights and sounds of each neighborhood, notice which shops & restaurants were new and which were closing, seeing so many people of every possible background (hard to live in a "bubble" in NYC, even in the most affluent neighborhoods like the West Village and Upper East Side....anyone who wants to can and will walk/ bike/ train through the area).

To piggy back on the above, it's very much a city of its own people. The parks (Central, Prospect, Brooklyn Bridge, Riverside, Fort Tyron & Inwood, etc) and the public spaces like Union Square / East River & Hudson & Brooklyn Heights esplanades, Washington Square and the beaches and lesser known public gems around the city - they all belong to New Yorkers. Those who can & do take advantage of these gems live a richer, more connected life. Being able to get lost in Central Park for an hour on a Sunday morning or walk home across the Brooklyn Bridge are such uniquely wonderful moments that provide a break from the usual hurried NYC lifestyle.

Restaurants, shopping, real estate, cultural institutions - the best of the best are all in NYC.

Location wise, NYC beats LA any day in my book. 5 hours to London/ gateway to Europe, short flight/ train ride to Boston / Philly/ DC, the wonderful weekend spots like the Hamptons, Nantucket & Martha's Vineyard, skiing in Vermont, the lovely towns up the Hudson River- you can never run out of things to do within a short trip out of the city! Multiple airports including some very good ones for private aircraft (since you mention your small fortune).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City