Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,008 times

Advertisements

I will be in NYC from 5pm on Thurs. 10/25 until flying out at 6pm on Sat. 10/27. I plan on spending the first evening around the Times Square area (where my hotel is) and Saturday around Central Park and the surrounding area. On Friday, I hope to put in a lot of wallking in the Lower Manhattan Area. I have a reservation for Circle Line at 10am for the 3 hour cruise and then I plan to go to China Town and begin walking.

Are there any streets in this area (Kenmare to the North - Worth to the South - Bowery to the East - Center St to the West) that should be avoided by a lone walker? I hope to walk this area...then ride over by Katz's for a reuben...and then continue my walk up to the Villages..up through Wash. Square..and then on to Union Sq.

Is this too ambitious for starting out around 2pm...Should I skip the cruise and stick to my walking?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 02:57 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times
You will be fine. Lots of people walking in any street in Chinatown. I doubt you will find your self alone on an empty street. If you think that you might find trouble in any street, turn back and keep enjoying your visit.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:14 PM

67 posts, read 319,691 times
Agreed, you will be fine. Areas such as Little Italy, Chinatown, the Villages (East, West, Greenwich), etc. are always filled on the weekends as tourists and locals come out and especially when theres good weather.

Enjoy the city!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Default Chinatown

I just came back from Chinatown and bought some fruit (3/$1) and fake dolce gabana belts (2/$20). I was on Canal and Lafayette. Chinatown/ LES/ (almost non-existent Little Italy) is dirty, dense, dusty, smelly, and has a bad element (esp at night) but it's cheap.

The green tea at the Chinese style starbucks is the best (great for digestion).

Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 PM

190 posts, read 982,435 times
I wouldn't worry much about most of the Chinatown/Little Italy area, but I would have a heightened sense of my surroundings south of Canal Street and East of the Bowery where the neighborhood starts to become the Lower East Side (LES). There are a number of public housing projects, homeless people along the waterfront under the FDR, and just general badness in this area after sunset.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:46 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Personally, I'd skip the cruise, and spend that time either walking more, eating more, or hitting a museum.

If you're interested enough in food to seek out Katz's, you might want to poke around for other snacks, as that whole downtown area is full of great food. If you're heading home from NYC, you could stock up at Russ & Daughters.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:23 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
My advice - skip the reuben at Katz's. IMO a Reuben should be grilled. At Katz's they heat up the meat/sauerkraut/cheese pile and put it on untoasted, non-grilled bread.

Another Katz's tip - don't be afraid to ask for extra bread so you can make two sandwiches out of all that meat! (especially since it costs for $15-$17 for a sandwich).

Just my opinion...

Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Uh...

Beware of scammers and pickpockets especially around Canal Street. The closer to the LES it's not too smart walking alone at night.

What about providing some information the OP can use...

Old 10-18-2007, 03:51 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
^^^ Goodpoint Hustla.

The subway can be a hotbed for scamartist at times. You know, guys asking you to switch metro cards because "mine doesn't work". Who the hell do you think you're fooling??

Old 10-18-2007, 04:43 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Default Must Read

^^ There are some sneaky ass people on the subways. Watch before you swipe when someone is in front of you (especially at the turning doors (bars?)). Some people try to get you to swipe and they go through while you're stuck behind. Almost happened to me today on the E train in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: