Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 AM

35 posts, read 170,584 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I received a speeding ticket on my way to work today, for 67 in a 45. Long story short, I didn't pay enough attention to the posted speed limits and, assumed interstate limits, and bridge speed limits in NY are the same as they are in NJ. In any case, the ticket is worth 6 points. I have a few questions about the impact the ticket will have. I tried calling the courthouse that is supposed to service my ticket but, I was not able to get ahold of anyone. If possible, I would appreciate it if anyone here could provide an answer to the following questions:

1. In NJ, when a driver receives a ticket, it's possible to plead the ticket down to a lesser, non-moving violation or, get the points reduced. Both these contingencies are accompanied with a higher fine. I asked the ticketing officer about this possibility and, he said that NYC does not allow offending drivers to do this. I'd like to confirm this. Anyone know?
  2. Considering that I have an NJ license, how will this offense transfer? I know that all NJ license holders get 2 points on their license for out-of-state offenses but, I don't know if that penalty increases for greater offenses. IE, will I get 6 points on my NJ license or 2?
  3. I did some quick research just now, and it seems that NY state allows drivers to reduce the number of points they receive from a recent offense, if they take a drivers safety class. It also mandates a 10% reduction in insurance rates, for a limited time. Does this offer remain possible for tickets issued in NYC, as well? Will this contingency reduce the points of the offense committed or, the offense of the points added to the offenders license?
  4. Finally, I may need to transfer my license from NJ to NY soon, for work. Does anyone know how the points transfer?
  5. Should I just hire a lawyer, instead of dealing with all this myself?
Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 23,698 times
You will get 2 points on your license. As far as pleading down you can plead to a charge with no points (i forgot the name) but the fees are in the $450+ range i believe. It sucks that the rules in reverse ie get a ticket in nj with a nyc license favors nyc residents.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Give up the car...it is liberating!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM

287 posts, read 593,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I think HAVING a car is liberating. I can go a half mile up the road within 1 minute in my car. Taking public transportation goes the same distance in 30 minutes or more.

Oh and I don't have to deal with those subway dancers coming centimeters away from kicking me in the face during their backflips.

::winning::

Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I disagree. Living in NYC proper would cost me far more than it would to live in Long Island or NJ, with a car. Getting around on public transportation is a pain. Commuting is a pain, paying the increased rent, taxes and costs for necessary goods is an expensive pain.

Moving from the east coast is what is truly liberating.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfliiboy View Post
You will get 2 points on your license. As far as pleading down you can plead to a charge with no points (i forgot the name) but the fees are in the $450+ range i believe. It sucks that the rules in reverse ie get a ticket in nj with a nyc license favors nyc residents.
What do you mean "Rules in Reverse"? Would a NYC resident have an easier time dealing an NJ ticket than I will have dealing with an NYC ticket as an NJ license holder?

Thanks for the information.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertarian1776 View Post
i think having a car is liberating. I can go a half mile up the road within 1 minute in my car. Taking public transportation goes the same distance in 30 minutes or more.

Oh and i don't have to deal with those subway dancers coming centimeters away from kicking me in the face during their backflips.

::winning::
qft

Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,086 times
I don't know how it works being that you are from out of state. But I just got a ticket in upstate NY doing 77 in a 55. I did hire a lawyer (only cost me $160 and I didn't have to go to any court appearances or anything). The lawyer plead my ticket down to a 0 point non-moving violation and as part of my plea I had to take defensive driving. I did this one :New York Online Defensive Driving Course | Online Point & Insurance Reduction Course | NY Defensive Driving Online

It's 100% online and so easy. The NYS DMV has a list of approved online courses you can take. I'm still waiting to hear what my fine will be, but the most it will be is the max amount for a parking ticket.

I would seriously consider hiring a lawyer- just makes everything so much easier.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
there is NO PLEA BARGAINING AT ALL IN NYC.

they removed the traffic violations from the court system except for dwi, driving with a suspended licence and driving with no insurance.

you go to dmv and see an administrator who has nooooooo ability to plea bargain. your only 100% guilty or 100% not guilty.

i got a speeding ticket with a perfect 30 year record and there was no ability to cut me 1 inch of slack.

i just went 2 weeks ago. it was a total waste of time.

as far as the courses to reduce points ,those courses only give you a wider cushion until you hit the max in points before they suspend you.it is only used internal to the dmv.

the insurance company and anyone else who checks your record sees the origonal points in all their splender.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is NO PLEA BARGAINING AT ALL IN NYC.

they removed the traffic violations from the court system except for dwi, driving with a suspended licence and driving with no insurance.

you go to dmv and see an administrator who has nooooooo ability to plea bargain. your only 100% guilty or 100% not guilty.

i got a speeding ticket with a perfect 30 year record and there was no ability to cut me 1 inch of slack.

i just went 2 weeks ago. it was a total waste of time.
I have to applaud you on the 30 years of perfect driving. I went 7 between tickets. Both times I wasn't paying attention to my speed. I need to be better.

I called a lawyer and, they said that they use a lot of legal manoeuvring, essentially, to try and get the ticket thrown out. Three hundred dollar flat fee, plus whatever fines NYC levies against me. I think those fines will amount to about 500 dollars. So, 800 dollars, and no guarantee I get the ticket expunged.

It may be better for me to just get the two points I have on my license removed, with a driver class, and just take these two points on my NJ license, and pay the 200 dollars. Hmmmm.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City