Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,339,068 times

Advertisements

So I went to NYC a few years ago and had an awful time.
1 week of not seeing any of the major attractions... and the only glimpse I got of the Statue of Liberty was on a bridge headed to New Jersey for a day long Thanksgiving feast with strangers.. haha

Any who I'm coming back at the end of January for an extended weekend.
This is my do over trip.
I have my New York pass
My tickets for Evita, Wicked and Fuerza Bruta
But what I don't have is a hotel.

I want to be near Broadway and Chelsea but I'm drawn to the Grand Hyatt (connected to Grand Central??) is that a good choice?

I need help on area I guess not necessarily exact hotels but if you all know a good hotel (max per night 179) please let me know. The place has to be classy/chic and I do like old world charm.

Basically want to walk to times square, walk to broadway, walk to the gay bars and clubs.... just walk as much as possible jeje.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
So I went to NYC a few years ago and had an awful time.
1 week of not seeing any of the major attractions... and the only glimpse I got of the Statue of Liberty was on a bridge headed to New Jersey for a day long Thanksgiving feast with strangers.. haha

Any who I'm coming back at the end of January for an extended weekend.
This is my do over trip.
I have my New York pass
My tickets for Evita, Wicked and Fuerza Bruta
But what I don't have is a hotel.

I want to be near Broadway and Chelsea but I'm drawn to the Grand Hyatt (connected to Grand Central??) is that a good choice?

I need help on area I guess not necessarily exact hotels but if you all know a good hotel (max per night 179) please let me know. The place has to be classy/chic and I do like old world charm.

Basically want to walk to times square, walk to broadway, walk to the gay bars and clubs.... just walk as much as possible jeje.
I don't have a suggestion of a specific hotel, but you may wish to consider finding a place closer to Hell's Kitchen if you want to be within walking distance of the places you mentioned. HK has twice the number of gay clubs and bars then Chelsea has.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,378 times
priceline your hotel and name your price at like 150. choose the areas you want and then it'll find you a hotel.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,339,068 times
I've pricelined, hotel'd, travolcity'd but ehh I don't know still I don't want to make the wrong decision... as I am determined to make this time in NY a great time.

Also what's the weather like or how is it usually at the end of January?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,818,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Also what's the weather like or how is it usually at the end of January?
You'll either be walking thru 2 feet of snow on your way to Starbuck$ to get a hot co-co, or you'll be wrapping your coat around your waist looking for one of those frozen yogurt places.

You can't win in January.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
You'll either be walking thru 2 feet of snow on your way to Starbuck$ to get a hot co-co, or you'll be wrapping your coat around your waist looking for one of those frozen yogurt places.

You can't win in January.
to put it into perspective, it's just about 60 today. And it's supposed to snow Wednesday. Although I would have to say NY has it easy compared to Michigan. We have that all in one day.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM

175 posts, read 353,249 times
[quote]
[quote]

I don't know if this will work. It would be similar to asking Chef Boyardee to offer 3 course meals for the same price as a can of Beefaroni.

Why not stay at a nice hotel in brooklyn and commute into the city like the rest of us poor middle class folk. The cost would be substantially less and Times Square and Chelsea are ~30 min away.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
[quote=jdm267;27776856][quote]
Quote:

I don't know if this will work. It would be similar to asking Chef Boyardee to offer 3 course meals for the same price as a can of Beefaroni.

Why not stay at a nice hotel in brooklyn and commute into the city like the rest of us poor middle class folk. The cost would be substantially less and Times Square and Chelsea are ~30 min away.
You could also get a reasonably priced hotel in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Midtown Manhattan and a short subway commute.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 PM

175 posts, read 353,249 times
Chava,

much better idea, thanks

Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
There's nothing wrong with the Grand Hyatt, but I would not describe it as old world, or even charming. It has about 1300 rooms, or so, which makes it a very large, corporate hotel, which is why you can sometimes get good room rates for Manhattan. From the Grand Hyatt, you can take the S to Times Square and then walk to areas you want to visit on the Westside, or the bus across 42nd Street to Times Square.

Old World comes at a price in Manhattan, i.e., Pierre, Excelsior, Carlyle, etc., unless you were to look for a much smaller hotel in Chelsea or the Village. You could also check the Marriott Marquis at Times Square, but it's another huge hotel, though you may find a decent room rate, and would be close to where you want to be. Sub $179/night is not the easiest rate to find, however, as that is more akin to what would be expected for New Jersey or Brooklyn/Queens, which is why if you find a good deal at the Grand Hyatt, I'd take it and deal with the lack of atmosphere because you will be very close to the atmosphere of the city, and will likely not spend too much time in the hotel anyway.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City