Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 45,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well we can't answer that for you. Only you would know if you truly feel safe there or not. The whole "is this neighborhood safe" is highly subjective. Where I live, I'm 100% comfortable going to the store at 3 AM. Somebody else might not be. So we have 2 different opinions.
Which was sort of the point i was making above about the whole definition of hood thing. Of course no one would want to live somewhere it's automatically matched with the term "hood" but then again it really does depend on the individual. What you consider a threat, another person may not.

Thanks for your insight. I'm going to move forward and rent the place. When I went there both during the day and at night, I didn't feel unsafe at all. The only thing that made me begin to dig deeper into researching the neighborhood is when I began to read that so many people affiliate Ocean Hill with BVille and knowing that Bville is not a great area, it made me raise question.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Here's a cautionary tale about this neighborhood. This article is from the Times in 2011 and is about 4 members of a band (college students), both black and white, who move in and suffer through a home invasion robbery where they think they will be killed. The location is Bainbridge and Howard, which is the same general vicinity as your place by about 6 blocks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/ny...stuy.html?_r=0

If you can't click on the Times link, you can read it here Hipster Hell in Brooklyn: "I was like, ''Yo, we''re getting robbed.'' "

Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Here's a cautionary tale about this neighborhood. This article is from the Times in 2011 and is about 4 members of a band (college students), both black and white, who move in and suffer through a home invasion robbery where they think they will be killed. The location is Bainbridge and Howard, which is the same general vicinity as your place by about 6 blocks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/ny...stuy.html?_r=0

If you can't click on the Times link, you can read it here Hipster Hell in Brooklyn: "I was like, ''Yo, we''re getting robbed.'' "
Appreciate the article. It's unfortunate that they had to go through that. But don't we hear stories that are even worse than that in neighborhoods that are even nicer than this?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahsArc View Post
Appreciate the article. It's unfortunate that they had to go through that. But don't we hear stories that are even worse than that in neighborhoods that are even nicer than this?
No, not usually. This was an extreme case of home invasion robbery. If you want to ignore all the signs, that's ok. But at least know that they are there.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,885 times
Quote:
You are really trying your hardest to see the good in this neighborhood aren't you? If I may be blunt (without you getting offended) I'd tell you that this is not a safe neighborhood. Stories like that are not common in the good neighborhoods. Were in Bed Stuy, Brownsville & ENY they happen more often. Hopefully nothing happens to you while you live there but I'd exercise caution while living there.
Don't let your guard down and if you do have a very nice car I'd recommend you keep it in a garage. Also I would advise against dressing to the nines at night cause you might get robbed.

Other people have already told you what they think of the neighborhood. Whether you chose to accept it or not, the area you are considering is the hood. If you are black or Latino you will have an easier time getting by over someone that is white. Just don't be flashy, keep a low profile and you should be ok. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
You are really trying your hardest to see the good in this neighborhood aren't you? If I may be blunt (without you getting offended) I'd tell you that this is not a safe neighborhood. Stories like that are not common in the good neighborhoods. Were in Bed Stuy, Brownsville & ENY they happen more often. Hopefully nothing happens to you while you live there but I'd exercise caution while living there.
Don't let your guard down and if you do have a very nice car I'd recommend you keep it in a garage. Also I would advise against dressing to the nines at night cause you might get robbed.

Other people have already told you what they think of the neighborhood. Whether you chose to accept it or not, the area you are considering is the hood. If you are black or Latino you will have an easier time getting by over someone that is white. Just don't be flashy, keep a low profile and you should be ok. Good luck.
Being cautious of course is a no brainer. And if my responses come off defensive, I apologize. I'm not ignoring signs; i'm taking everything into consideration. I've heard mixed reviews from many people. Many of the responses like the one above come from people who have never lived there. So everything that they say screams "don't live there". Then I've had conversation with people who do live in that general area or have lived in that general area and are honest. They don't deny that there's a level of crime and they don't deny that you have to be careful but they also are very clear that it's not as bad as people make it seem. So I came to this forum just for additional insight which i received and appreciate.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
Quote:
Many of the responses like the one above come from people who have never lived there. So everything that they say screams "don't live there". Then I've had conversation with people who do live in that general area or have lived in that general area and are honest. They don't deny that there's a level of crime and they don't deny that you have to be careful but they also are very clear that it's not as bad as people make it seem. So I came to this forum just for additional insight which i received and appreciate. Thanks!
You seem to have made your mind up already, so good luck to ya. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, well that opinion might depend on whether they have ever been a victim of a violent crime in the area or not. How much is the rent?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Quote:
No.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Ocean Hill is really bad. I had a friend who use to live there and he hated it, he moved to Ozone Park a few years ago.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,650 times
Like the rest have said, it's the hood, no other way around it. However, whether you choose to live there or not depends on how comfortable you are. Yes, there are people who will say that it's not that bad because they know the area and are used to it, so of course to them, it's all about using common sense. However, are you sure that you're okay with living in a neighborhood that's, pretty much, grimy?! If you've lived in hood areas before, go for it, but if you know you're hesitant and not that sure of yourself...you, most likely, shouldn't move there. JMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: