Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:57 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I think you mean Hunts Point in the Bronx. There's a Hunters Point in Queens, but it's a good neighborhood and Hunters Point in San Fran, but we're not talking about Cali.
Hunters Point is good? It didn't look good, just a bunch of thugs running the corner's all I saw next to a run-down building.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Hunters Point is good? It didn't look good, just a bunch of thugs running the corner's all I saw next to a run-down building.
First of all is in Queens. Queens isn't exactly notorious for crime. Anyway look at this thread:

Hunters Point, Queens

Also even if it's a little spotty, I have never heard of it being mentioned in the same breath as Brownsville. Hunters point isn't even nearly the worst neighborhood. I could name 10 Bronx neighborhoods worse than that. Certainly it isn't as bad as Hunts point, which actually has a claim for worse neighborhood.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
Quote:
I've seen a guy with no head, it was shot off, and people were just walking over him without even paying any attention to the decapitated head. But, I'm not proud of it, it just interests me.
FutureCop interested in a guy with no head. That's a no-brainer.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:52 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
FutureCop interested in a guy with no head. That's a no-brainer.
You're the most pathetic little man. Cut the ****. You don't have to say stupid **** after every one of my replies. Dumbest comebacks ever. I destroy you in the importance of NYC arguments so you use these little comebacks. Come back to me when you can actually make a mature, educated post.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 PM

646 posts, read 813,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Really, what can the rest of us possibly do without it? I'm sure when Los Angeles has their 'big' one, all weary eyes will point to the residents of New York, and they'll ask New York, "Which way, New York?" And we shall all be relieved when New York advises us on our best decisions in life and love. Because I wish I were a part of it, New York, New York. I heart New York! I can't stop typing New York! Brad Pitt said it best when he said, " New York is bigger than America, it belongs to the world!!" .....and he is a smart man.
Which would be utterly stupid and foolish if LA did since NY is forever saying "Which way, London, we're still stuck as your colonial servant?"

Old 11-04-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it
New York, New York

These vagabond shoes
Are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it
New York, New York

I wanna wake up in a city
That doesn't sleep
And find I'm king of the hill
Top of the heap

These little town blues
Are melting a way
I'll make a brand-new start of it
In old New York

If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you
New York, New York

New York, New York
I want to wake up
In a city that never sleeps
And find I'm a number one, top of the list
King of the hill, a number one

These little town blues
Are melting a way
I'm gonna make a brand-new start of it
In old New York

And... if I can make it there
I'm gonna make it anywhere
It's up to you
New York, New York

Great Song for NY, however as with NY itself, it is chock full of paradoxes and contradictions for today's world but probably very true in the singer's early day. There is still surprising disdain for the group of longtime influential residents from which this man originated and the many other contributions they made to NY culture.

NY seems to still spit on them, for some reason, through its mouthh and media enterprises. Yet the city's very uniqueness owes much to their influence.

Evidence that NYers do nothing but talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-04-2007 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 PM

Trader Joes came in from California like many things now they come in from around the country as chains because large corporations from Dallas, Chicago, etc can afford the rents or to buy.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I was only speaking about Manhattan.

That's the only part that can have a NYC address. It seems the rest of the areas outside it just trail along, rather displaced or in limbo, trying to identify with NYC, but only sharing a few services. Does NYC, or manhattan county only, simply use their population to bolster itself on the national level. These folks just refer to Manhattan as the City. It's confusing especially from people at a distance. From the very start NYC is misleading of who, what, and where it is, who it pertains to and who can hold the title of actually living in it. As if it is a very exclusive private club.

That suggests that NY's size as well as other criteria is very overblown and very hyped. Most people do not live like the minority of elites.

I have met people in Brooklyn who have never been nor swear they ever will go to the "City".

It's a strange city, one can be on a marsh in Rockaway inlets and still be in the city? It's really very misplaced and somehow is a big misnomer. I suppose dissembling is standard and the norm in NYC thinking. Nothing is what it said to be.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I know, we're just too great. After all, more people want to live here than Los Angeles - hence our population gain, which is far more than LA.

Fastest growing city by percentage is Dallas.
Fastest growing city by raw numbers is New York City.

All that matters are raw numbers, baby.

Have Sources? L.A. is a large city (and the largest city) within L.A. County which over 10 million last I read. The county takes the name of the predominant city within it.

Totally different make up between NY and LA. L.A. is the largest county in pop in the US. NY county is Manhattan, population 1.6 million or so?

Old 11-04-2007, 03:37 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
NYC the greatest city in the world? I don't think so.
I agree with you. Most major world cities are overrated and overhyped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City