Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM

446 posts, read 997,379 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I couldn't think of a title for this thread, it's not as bad as it sounds.

But in many major cities, I've seen something weird happening. From time to time, I'll see an old, scruffy-looking man (not sure if homeless or what) holding a pigeon and performing some sort of "procedure" on it. The pigeon isn't struggling, and there isn't anything visibly disturbing going on, but they're doing SOMETHING to the pigeon, usually concentrating on the feet. Yesterday I saw a man with a pigeon at the corner and he looked like he was either cutting the pigeon's nails, or cutting something off its feet. I've seen stuff like this more than once.

Good Samaritan, or sadistic weirdo trying to torture a poor bird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
lol...birds getting pampered.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Sorry, I couldn't think of a title for this thread, it's not as bad as it sounds.

But in many major cities, I've seen something weird happening. From time to time, I'll see an old, scruffy-looking man (not sure if homeless or what) holding a pigeon and performing some sort of "procedure" on it. The pigeon isn't struggling, and there isn't anything visibly disturbing going on, but they're doing SOMETHING to the pigeon, usually concentrating on the feet. Yesterday I saw a man with a pigeon at the corner and he looked like he was either cutting the pigeon's nails, or cutting something off its feet. I've seen stuff like this more than once.

Good Samaritan, or sadistic weirdo trying to torture a poor bird?
I don't think they are torturing the the birds, but what I've noticed is that elderly ppl often have a special relationship with pigeons in this city, they feed them during the winter and they become tame and they are able to hold and pet them in their arms. This one elderly lady in my building sticks bread slices in the snow for them altough it's prohibited due to rat infestations. Many elderly ppl are alone and these birds which many call "flying rats" are their children and a reason to live and wake up every morning. But to answer your original question I haven't seen anyone performing any "procedure" on them. I hope a poster who is knowledgable in the sience of ornitology will chime in...

Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I have seen this overseas but I have never seen it here in NYC. Where in the city was this?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM

446 posts, read 997,379 times
This was at east 22nd and 2nd. He had a pair of scissors. I've also seen it a lot in LA.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
There are a couple spots in my neighborhood where I see bread left out for pigeons almost every day, and I could never figure out who would do that. Is it really old people who are just lonely? That is heartbreaking.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
There are a couple spots in my neighborhood where I see bread left out for pigeons almost every day, and I could never figure out who would do that. Is it really old people who are just lonely? That is heartbreaking.
I know of a middle-aged man who even when he was younger like to leave bread crumbs on his window sill for pigeons and it had nothing to do with loneliness. He just thought he was being kind to the birds.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Default Probably...?

They're probably putting little messages between their toes and the pigeons are carrying notes of eternal love to the lady that they lost to an arranged marriage or war and now since her husband died and made her a widow, he is trying to rekindle the flame that swept them up that summers eve, long ago when love was simple, true, and pure.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I don't think they are torturing the the birds, but what I've noticed is that elderly ppl often have a special relationship with pigeons in this city, they feed them during the winter and they become tame and they are able to hold and pet them in their arms. This one elderly lady in my building sticks bread slices in the snow for them altough it's prohibited due to rat infestations. Many elderly ppl are alone and these birds which many call "flying rats" are their children and a reason to live and wake up every morning. But to answer your original question I haven't seen anyone performing any "procedure" on them. I hope a poster who is knowledgable in the sience of ornitology will chime in...
I agree and have seen it as well. It's an abundant type of bird and perhaps gives them a feeling of taking care of other living things. Go to any park during the day and you will see them feeding them.

Though i love animals as well, Pigeons tend to be quite dirty.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Raising pigeons in a rooftop tenement coop, like bocce and playing the numbers, is a dying form of recreation and relaxation for urban old men everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City