Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,070 times

Advertisements

We are taking my son to NYC for his 16th birthday in March. He is in a wheelchair. He can't walk but can do transfers out of his chair to a cab or a train, etc. He cannot do steps.

We reserved a hotel in Secaucus, NJ because the rates were better and we could get a larger room for our family of 5. We found a hotel with a bus stop right out front with a bus that takes you right into the Port Authority Bus terminal. Awesome, right?

So now I am reading that while I can probably get my son into the PABT, I probably can not get him home from there. According to the NYC Access Guide, most of the boarding areas in the Port Authority Bus Terminal are NOT handicapped accessible.

Seriously? Is this true? Not in my wildest dreams I would imagine that a major bus terminal in the largest city in the U.S. would not be ADA compliant?

So now I am wondering, what is the best way to get my family back from NYC to Secaucus, given what now appears are inability to use the bus. I do see where I can take the train to Penn Station, but then what? I really have do desire to use the NYC subway with a handicapped son.

Thanks in advance!

Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Residents are eligible for Paratransit- consider in this case an accessible van, or unfortunately bite the bullet and take the subway.

It's strange that nearly every station is built ADA complaint with elevators, ramps, etc... but you SELDOM ever see anyone in a wheelchair on the subway.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,554 times
This could be incorrect because I rarely travel through NJ via public transit- but I would look into taking a NJ transit train from Penn Station to Secaucus Junction. I'm like 90% sure it's wheelchair accessible at each of those stations.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 PM

Thanks! Sounds like the train may be our best option. I did inquire about para transit and I may be able to get him a visitor pass but it will take a lot of documentation. I don't mind paying for a taxi. This may sound ignorant, but I haven't been to NYC in 15 years: will a taxi take us from the city to Secaucus? I don't mind paying $75 or so in fare if that's our only option.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenfitz View Post
Thanks! Sounds like the train may be our best option. I did inquire about para transit and I may be able to get him a visitor pass but it will take a lot of documentation. I don't mind paying for a taxi. This may sound ignorant, but I haven't been to NYC in 15 years: will a taxi take us from the city to Secaucus? I don't mind paying $75 or so in fare if that's our only option.
Check the Dial 7 car website. You can get a free online quote. New York City Car & Limousine Service | Manhattan, Brooklyn, NJ & NYC Limo & Car Services

Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,554 times
You could definitely get a taxi/car service but I wouldn't give up on the public transit yet .

This could be a longshot but perhaps you could try calling the Mayors office for people with disabilities. They might be able to point you toward some resources.
Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities - About

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
OP, are you SURE the NJ Transit busses are wheel chair accessible???

The "local" busses are, but I have my doubts re "commuter" busses. Do you know which type stops at the hotel front?

Don't know how the commuter busses could accommodate you:

New Jersey Transit

Apparently, you can get assistance in the terminal:

Accessibility - Port Authority Bus Terminal - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

The Seacacus hotel may be cheaper, but getting around with a wheel chair on public transport is going to a bit of a hassel, and likely unpleasant!

I also strongly suggest limiting your travel times to NON "rush hour" times. Otherwise you are going to make people late with the inordinate amount of time it takes to load and secure a wheel chair.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:55 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenfitz View Post

So now I am wondering, what is the best way to get my family back from NYC to Secaucus, given what now appears are inability to use the bus. I do see where I can take the train to Penn Station, but then what? I really have do desire to use the NYC subway with a handicapped son.

Thanks in advance!

Lauren
Please note that not all NYC subway stations have handicapped access and you will need to make sure on the day of usage that there no outages on the elevators of the ones that you are planning on using.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 AM

81 posts, read 175,736 times
This unfortunately sounds like a recipe for a million different things that could go wrong and ruin your trip. I would NOT rely on public transit to be 100% wheelchair accessible (even if it is supposed to be) because as others have said, elevators can be broken, buses and trains can be extremely crowded, etc. etc. There is a reason why on the supposedly "handicap accessible" subways you very very rarely ever see anyone in a wheelchair. I would get a more centrally located hotel room. If not manhattan, maybe look for cheaper areas of Brooklyn or Queens with easy cab access to manhattan? LIC comes to mind.

Another thought would be to contact NYC organizations that might have recommendations for tourists with disabilities? I'd be willing to bet you can google search it and come up with some good advice, things that people have done in the past that have worked out well for them.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Thanks. His wheelchair does not need to be secured it can fold up. He does not travel in his chair. We can't afford a hotel in the city.

We will have a car. My husband thinks we should drive into the city and park in a garage instead. Bad idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City