Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 45,208 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I'm thinking about moving to Fort Greene, Brooklyn... I'm currently a resident of Forest Hills, Queens which is one of the safest areas of the city, so I wanted to ask around here about Fort Greene.

The apartment I'm looking at is a new construction on Myrtle Ave @ Ashland Place. The area looks very convenient, but I'm trying to get a feel for the safety. There's a housing project across the street, should I be concerned?

Thanks in Advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
The Fort Greene Houses, shall we say, don't represent the best of Brooklyn. But so many other people have been moving into Fort Greene over the last 20 years, you should be fine.

And just so you'll know for future reference, telling Brooklynites how "safe" your neighborhood in Queens is, well, that's no way to win friends in this borough. (Besides, the safety was purely illusory, since the subways can bring anyone from any place in the city to any other place!)

Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 AM

not intending to offend people, just trying to give some background on why I'm interested in knowing about my new neighborhood.

for the record- i'm not a big fan of queens which is why i'm looking to move. I've been in the city for 6 years now- lived in the financial district, china town, east village and queens. I just don't have much experience with Brooklyn.

Thanks for the info Fred!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
supposedly the 'other side' is the 'better' side. i don't know. just getting someone else's opinion off of a link: fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes.com

Quote:
The Dekalb Avenue side is white as snow and well maintained by Parks staff while the Myrtle Avenue side is 100% minority and is poorly maintained by Parks staff.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times
You'll be fine its very gentrified now.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM

thanks grimace so i'll be on the 'worse' side but is it really that bad? police statistics for the 88th precinct don't seem too positive, but I understand that the precinct encompasses areas that are worse than ft. greene and that skews the stats downward. However, there is still a good amount of theft and assault reported in the immediate ft. greene area. I'm more worried about my girlfriend than I am about myself.

does anybody have 1st hand experience with the area?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Its not so bad, you'll be ok its not like you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. There are some concerns about the Ft. Greene projects but for the most part people in the area like it, I live not too far from there and I'm always in that area day and night with my girlfriend.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
I use to live on the otherside of Fort Greene Park. Myrtle is fine except when you come down to Ingersol and Waltwhitman Houses. Yoou still have a bit of crime there that includes shootings. The rest of Myrtle near Pratt Insitute is gentrified and pretty nice and very safe, but expensive.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 13,813 times
Default fort greene border - safe?

hello all,
i am interested in a studio on vanderbilt avenue and park avenue(by BQE). it's the east side border between fort greene and clinton hill. do you think it's safe? it's quite a bit of walk from clinton-washington G train to there. anything you can share about this area would you great. thanks guys!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
^ Vanderbilt just below Park is now part of the new, officially designated Wallabout Historic District. You should be fine there--mostly private homes on a quiet street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City