Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,220,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
No place is perfect, but do you honestly feel those cons outweigh the pros I listed? Name me another major city that doesn't have those two problems. Long lines seem petty and STD rates can be broken down by demographics, or you could always wear a condom.

I suggest you leave NYC, like the metro area completely. Try living somewhere else for 2 years. Somewhere very different. In my opinion, I feel your neighborhood is seriously skewing you view of the rest of the city in it's entirety. Not only that but you are not acknowledging the changes over time.

The grass isn't always greener.

Here's a preview of the new micro-housing exhibit at the Museum of the City of NY for those interested.

Architects Imagine Housing Alternatives for New York City - Beyond Microdwellings - Curbed NY

A lot of space saving techniques, you can do more with less.

Lol the overwhelming majority of comments on your link from curbed are talking trash about the sardine cans. One that isn't is so obviously you that I actually laughed:

Quote:
17. guest, 1/26/13 1:24am
So much bitchin. Look. If you don't like it, don't move in! For those that find these types of apartments valuable, it's just what the doctor ordered. These will sell like hot cakes in prime locations. Especially when you throw in amenities like: social spaces, gyms, laundry rooms, rooftop gardens. Singles typically have way less crap then families anyway and the modern state of housing is inefficient. How often do you use your bedroom outside of sleeping? How often do you use your living room while you sleep? Might as well combine the two to save space. There is a huge demand for this sort of construction. I'm interested myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,170,312 times

Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Lol the overwhelming majority of comments on your link from curbed are talking trash about the sardine cans. One that isn't is so obviously you that I actually laughed:
Me too, I luaghed my socks off while shaking my head.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
No place is perfect, but do you honestly feel those cons outweigh the pros I listed? Name me another major city that doesn't have those two problems. Long lines seem petty and STD rates can be broken down by demographics, or you could always wear a condom.

I suggest you leave NYC, like the metro area completely. Try living somewhere else for 2 years. Somewhere very different. In my opinion, I feel your neighborhood is seriously skewing you view of the rest of the city in it's entirety. Not only that but you are not acknowledging the changes over time.

The grass isn't always greener.

Here's a preview of the new micro-housing exhibit at the Museum of the City of NY for those interested.

Architects Imagine Housing Alternatives for New York City - Beyond Microdwellings - Curbed NY

A lot of space saving techniques, you can do more with less.
That is cool, I will have to head to the museum to check it out. I have always been fascinated with these micro apartments in Tokyo, so it will be neat to see what the architects were able to come up with for this city.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,411,618 times
A little hotel suite.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is cool, I will have to head to the museum to check it out. I have always been fascinated with these micro apartments in Tokyo, so it will be neat to see what the architects were able to come up with for this city.
Judging by the pictures, the interior decorating could use some work. IMO. One of the firms should have partnered up with IKEA.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,360,636 times
This is all about generating tax revenue. Pack in as many people into a finite space in order to extract greater tax revenue. who will grab these spaces? Singles. Who pay a large amount in taxes relative to earnings? Singles.

The state and the city have a budget problem and tax revenues have been drying up since '08. They desperately need to up revenue or the game is over.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This is all about generating tax revenue. Pack in as many people into a finite space in order to extract greater tax revenue. who will grab these spaces? Singles. Who pay a large amount in taxes relative to earnings? Singles.

The state and the city have a budget problem and tax revenues have been drying up since '08. They desperately need to up revenue or the game is over.
I mean you could look at it like that.

...or maybe a lot of people are seeking small apartments in NYC. A place where single people already outnumber studios and one bedrooms. Which in turn will raise tax revenue.

This is all about providing adequate housing for a fast growing population.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,658 times
Quote:
I mean you could look at it like that.

...or maybe a lot of people are seeking small apartments in NYC. A place where single people already outnumber studios and one bedrooms. Which in turn will raise tax revenue.

This is all about providing adequate housing for a fast growing population.
All the people who complain abot the size of such apartments should spend a week in Europe: a lot of single people are used to live in small apartments there.
In fact, I don't see the problem: why a single person needs a massive apartment?

Last edited by italianuser; 01-27-2013 at 04:54 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Judging by the pictures, the interior decorating could use some work. IMO. One of the firms should have partnered up with IKEA.
Haha, that is true. I always like the tiny apartments they have on display at IKEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City