Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM

510 posts, read 1,443,433 times

Advertisements

Hm ok I might take back what I said a little bit- I just looked into it further. Sq footage will range from 250-400 sq feet (i'm still ok with that, though 250 is pushing it a little).

And from another article:

Twenty-two of the 55 units will be “affordable” for low- and middle-income households. That is, they will be earmarked for those with an annual income of up to $48,100, and for those earning up to $93,310. Monthly rent on the low-income apartments will initially be set at $939, while the middle-income units will go for $1,873. “The developer purchased the site from the city at a reduced cost so that they can provide the affordable units,” city spokesperson Julie Wood said in an e-mail.

I do really like that their low-income range is up to $48K for the $939 apartments- like I said before that will really help the young professional crowd. But I wouldn't pay the $1873 for the middle income range (up to the $93k). And they are planning on making 33 of the apartments market rate? Wtf is market rate for that?
Will the Middle Class Want Micro-Apartments? - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
Hm ok I might take back what I said a little bit- I just looked into it further. Sq footage will range from 250-400 sq feet (i'm still ok with that, though 250 is pushing it a little).

Twenty-two of the 55 units will be “affordable” for low- and middle-income households. That is, they will be earmarked for those with an annual income of up to $48,100, and for those earning up to $93,310. Monthly rent on the low-income apartments will initially be set at $939, while the middle-income units will go for $1,873. “The developer purchased the site from the city at a reduced cost so that they can provide the affordable units,” city spokesperson Julie Wood said in an e-mail.

I do really like that their low-income range is up to $48K for the $939 apartments- like I said before that will really help the young professional crowd. But I wouldn't pay the $1873 for the middle income range (up to the $93k). And they are planning on making 33 of the apartments market rate? Wtf is market rate for that?

250-370 sq ft, not 400. And a few of them are $940/month. So it's not "a building full of $940/month for 400 sq ft apts" like some are saying here. I love how people try and spout that stuff on this forum...

Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
It's less than 400 sq ft units, but that is irrelevant really. The point is these apartments emphasize space saving techniques and will fit the vast majority of singles and couples just fine.

BTW, the prices reflect the neighborhood. You won't find another modern construction with a gym and social areas for those prices anywhere in that neighborhood.

http://m.ny.curbed.com/archives/2013...ompetition.php

Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
New York reveals home of the future: City names winning design for 400 sq ft 'micro-apartment' to deal with housing shortage

This is nothing more than a Bloomberg scam to pay for over priced property.

absolutley agree.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM

393 posts, read 783,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
How is a person supposed to entertain guest or even host a sworie?
Haha, don't worry, of course they though about the soirees. I think the renderings have a folding table that you can use for entertaining...along with your folding counters. After you are done, you can unfold your bed from your bookshelf. Perfecto! I don't see a roofdeck though?? Like where is that?

Personally, I don't care either way about this. I prefer older buildings, and the modular building thing really creeps me out. My hope is that they build more of these for all the transplants so they can stop pushing out into the last remaining livable places in the outer boroughs.

I lived in a tenement apartment that was around 325 sq. ft. and it wasn't that bad. I didn't have a dining table but who cares? I hate cooking and eat in front of my TV anyway. That was meant as a temporary solution though and it worked great while it was. It's most definitely not enough space to live in in the long term. Not being able to get the furniture you want, buy anything without thinking where you are going to put it, decorate, etc. gets old really fast.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
It's less than 400 sq ft units, but that is irrelevant really. The point is these apartments emphasize space saving techniques and will fit the vast majority of singles and couples just fine.

BTW, the prices reflect the neighborhood. You won't find another modern construction with a gym and social areas for those prices anywhere in that neighborhood.

Meet the Five Finalists in NYC's Micro-Apartment Competition - Runners-Up - Curbed NY
I hope for most this is not a longterm option. The size is not bad for a single person or couple. It is in fact more bigger than rooms we slept in as kids growing up in NYC. I hope these apartments are priced just right. Good credit score, clean criminal records background can only apply!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I hope for most this is not a longterm option. The size is not bad for a single person or couple. It is in fact more bigger than rooms we slept in as kids growing up in NYC. I hope these apartments are priced just right. Good credit score, clean criminal records background can only apply!
Check out the "Curbed NY" link I provided. They have renderings of the actual top 5 contenders. You be the judge on the layouts.

It's true you can't throw a massive party, but a small pregame get together is fine. Then you can hit the bars on East 34th Street. Maybe host parties in the big entertainment rooms (the way Williamsburg rooftops bump in the summer).

Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM

393 posts, read 783,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post

The size is really nothing new, and people are already paying that much and more for comparable apartments. There are plenty of apartments in trendy downtown neighborhoods where apartments that are less than 400 sq. feet go for well over $2,000.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Check out the "Curbed NY" link I provided. They have renderings of the actual top 5 contenders. You be the judge on the layouts.

The only one that doesn't look completely ridiculous is the third one down...

Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Did anyone else notice the single, tiny closet? How could a couple with professional wardrobes live in a unit that could scarcely hang their winter coats? I guess clothing rails lining the hallway outside the bathroom are in order; or do these units come equipped with a uniform that all residents must wear? There is not enough hanging space in that unit for my needs, at all, much less the prospect of having to have that amount of space for two. Can you rent an additional unit to use as a closet/living room, but then we'd be over market for a larger apartment in the same area.

The other issue is that everything is a custom component, meaning you cannot merely head over to Gracious Home, Ikea, a furniture store, etc. to replace a broken dining chair, or a sofa that has a stubborn red wine stain. Rather, you must deal with a sole supplier, or have something fabricated as a replacement, which is likely not going to be as inexpensive, or offer the level of choice that one has on the open market.

This is basically a hotel room masquerading as an apartment, though I daresay most hotels in which I stay actually have larger closets and sleeping areas, many with dedicated seating areas or adjacent sitting rooms, such that you don't have to fold up the bed to sit down.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City