Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM

216 posts, read 372,924 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Astoria once my lease is up and I was wondering if I could find an apartment around $1200 - $1300 with the following parameters. (I would like to stay closer to the $1200 price) There are certain things I want and others that I am more flexible on. Listed below are my must haves.

1. 1br preferred, but would also be okay with a studio
2. Near the N/Q train (no more than a 5-10 miute walk. The closer the better)
3. 1st or 2nd floor unless building has an elevator

I am just wondering if I am being realistic in my price range.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
No

Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
In that price range, you might be able to find a good studio but not much else. There are 1br for $1200/$1300 in the area, but they tend to be very small, and not in the best of conditions. My recommendation to you, is do some leg work. There are a lot of 2/3 family homes in Astoria, and some of the home-owners have no idea how much their apartments are really worth so they rent out cheap. With some luck, you might find a good apartment for $1300 in a private home.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM

216 posts, read 372,924 times
Thanks. I figured I would probably get a studio and like I said there are certain things I am willing to compromise on.

I am living with roommates now and would like to move out on my own once my lease is up. I have some time to look so I am in no rush.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
Thanks. I figured I would probably get a studio and like I said there are certain things I am willing to compromise on.

I am living with roommates now and would like to move out on my own once my lease is up. I have some time to look so I am in no rush.
Studios will give you more wiggle room in your price range. Obviously, you won't be able to afford the new "luxury" rentals that have been popping up in the area, but you can still get a good bang for your buck in some of the older buildings or homes. Near the N/Q trains, I would suggest looking from Hoyt Ave/Astoria Blvd to 36 ave, and from Stienway to 21 St (the train runs on 31st.) The further you are from the train, the cheaper rentals usually get. You might be able to save a couple hundred dollars on rent if you are willing to be 10/15 minutes away from the train, rather than 5/10 minutes.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM

393 posts, read 783,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
I am thinking of moving to Astoria once my lease is up and I was wondering if I could find an apartment around $1200 - $1300 with the following parameters. (I would like to stay closer to the $1200 price) There are certain things I want and others that I am more flexible on. Listed below are my must haves.

1. 1br preferred, but would also be okay with a studio
2. Near the N/Q train (no more than a 5-10 miute walk. The closer the better)
3. 1st or 2nd floor unless building has an elevator

I am just wondering if I am being realistic in my price range.

Thanks
Personally, I don't understand why people on a tight budget insist on being next to the subway when your money can take you a lot farther if you would be willing to look like 15-20 min from the subway. Same goes for the floor requirements. The higher up you go without an elevator the less you are likely to pay for the same apartment unless it has city views/renovations whatever. If you are in good health, don't have strict requirements (if you aren't physically fit or older though then that's a whole different story). Look at everything. Apartments between 1200 and 1300 are increasingly hard to come by now, but you can get one..probably closer to the 1300 though.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Personally, I don't understand why people on a tight budget insist on being next to the subway when your money can take you a lot farther if you would be willing to look like 15-20 min from the subway. Same goes for the floor requirements. The higher up you go without an elevator the less you are likely to pay for the same apartment unless it has city views/renovations whatever. If you are in good health, don't have strict requirements (if you aren't physically fit or older though then that's a whole different story). Look at everything. Apartments between 1200 and 1300 are increasingly hard to come by now, but you can get one..probably closer to the 1300 though.
When there is bad weather (for example like the extreme cold we had last week), it is definitely understandable why someone wants to live near the subway.

I think a studio is possible to find with the budget mentioned but the OP may have to make a bit of effort to find one that fits all of their requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City