Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Informing the consumer about the high calorie sodas by preventing them from purchasing a large quantity in one serving is Bloomberg's strategy to combat obesiety.

Whether a government imposed limitation of soda size is reducing population obesity is IRRELEVANT because the goal is to INFORM the consumer as a byproduct of banning anything larger than 16 ounces. He is hoping by informing the consumer they will make healthier choices down the road.
If the intent is to inform people, then inform people. Labels, PR, TV, signage, nutrition education in schools, whatever. I am all for it. Yet, this Govt is a big offender by offering unhealthy snacks in schools.

When you actually ban stores from selling certain size containers -- that is no longer information. That is a mandate, good or bad, but it is what it is -- a Govt mandate -- that store can't sell that size, and I can't buy that size, if I wanted to.

Quote:
The "wimp" you seem to dislike is a billionare and can do what he pleases. You on the other hand want to preach that this is an infringement on our rights even though it is not.
Billionaire or not -- I could care less. He is our mayor, and no he can't do what he pleases. It should be my right to purchase soda in large containers if I wanted to. Regulating soda sizes to certain ounces -- c'mon, that is too far for the Govt to reach. You and others can't even prove that such Govt mandate would reduce obesity. Again you're clipping the nails of a dying patent, in delusion that it'll save his life!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
I confess...I broke New York City law today.

I got myself a 44 ounce regular coke...And I drank it!

Oh, I forgot...Here in Houston, TX, we're still free. Big Gulps are only illegal in New York City.

You people in New York City...such sheep.
Please have yourself checked for type 2 diabetes. Seriously. What you are drinking is poison and it may very well catch up to you.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Soda ban only effects establishments regulated by the city of new york. 7/11 is state regulated and therefore you can buy big gulps.

Soda ban is not really a ban but a way to force establishments into providing a 16 oz serving size to customers. Customers can order as many of these as they please. This is beneficial for those who attend places like subway where the smallest size is like 21 oz. Now there will be a smaller option.

Being inconvenienced =/= infringing on your right. You can buy as many as please. Just because its an inconvenience to buy a certain amount of soda does not mean you have lost to right to purchase said soda.

Overall it provides a way of educating the public on how much they are consuming. Someone who buys a large soda tends to finish it in one serving or would rather finish then throwing away the beverage.

I think the real sheep is the person drinking a 44 oz coca-cola and believing its actually a healthy choice. I hope they have lots of diabetes centers in Texas. Also you should try to get the real information and facts before regurgitating whatever you saw on television/fox sheepie.

Maybe this will help:
NYC Soda Ban explained, sort of - YouTube
OMG! Some facts instead of pointless arguing?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
If the intent is to inform people, then inform people. Labels, PR, TV, signage, nutrition education in schools, whatever. I am all for it. Yet, this Govt is a big offender by offering unhealthy snacks in schools.

When you actually ban stores from selling certain size containers -- that is no longer information. That is a mandate, good or bad, but it is what it is -- a Govt mandate -- that store can't sell that size, and I can't buy that size, if I wanted to.

Billionaire or not -- I could care less. He is our mayor, and no he can't do what he pleases. It should be my right to purchase soda in large containers if I wanted to. Regulating soda sizes to certain ounces -- c'mon, that is too far for the Govt to reach. You and others can't even prove that such Govt mandate would reduce obesity. Again you're clipping the nails of a dying patent, in delusion that it'll save his life!!!!
Except its much more effective by being direct and he was able to skip the legislative process by going through the NYC health board. The NYC health board can mandate restrictions for city regulated businesses if they believe it is a public health risk.

It is also less expensive to place the burden on businesses that thrive off of selling garbage to the public then spending tax payer money solely on ad campaigns.

Do you see how easy it is to pick off your arguments? You have no foundation and therefore everything you say is just nonsense.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
lol cool thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Now you read up on it. Good. Now you now that it is a mandate. Soon you will know that it will accomplish jack ****.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
I confess...I broke New York City law today.

I got myself a 44 ounce regular coke...And I drank it!

Oh, I forgot...Here in Houston, TX, we're still free. Big Gulps are only illegal in New York City.

You people in New York City...such sheep.
Anyone who REALLY drank a 44 ounce regular Coke wouldn't live to tell the tale.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:13 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
The last part makes no sense to me. If someone does not have the option of buying a smaller soda and is forced to buy a larger one then they will consume that size. Educating the public should not be considered nonsense just because you don't see it yourself. Oh how far have we fallen.
Obviously you didn't comprehend my point at all, which was that: (1) most people know it's unhealthy, they will buy it anyway and (2) calorie counts were also posted to combat morbid obesity and nearly every study shows that they have little to no impact on changing eating habits. Telling someone that they simply cannot have something or saying "here it is" is not "educating" the public.

If you want to combat morbid obesity, you need to provide ACTUAL education, and that is something I agree with personally, as someone involved in the health care field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City