Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
My post blizzard rant: I live in a small quiet suburb if queens and just witnesses a city garbage truck plowing absolutely nothing! As I was walking my dog I hear the scraping sound of the plow against the pavement and there isn't any snow whatsoever on the roads. Talk about milking the overtime.
I saw the same thing, except the garbage truck even had chains on the tires....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
The 32 inches of snow in Centerport, Suffolk County did break records. For the people there, it was the snowstorm, if not the century, but perhaps the decade.

There was an accident around exit 57 on the LIE at around 3PM before the roads had gotten impassable and visibility became poor. This slowed down traffic while the accident was cleared. During the interim, the storm picked up considerably and all those people who thought they had sufficient time to get where they need to go became trapped.

In Suffolk county, the main mode of transportation is car. Some people had to drive for work because they are essential personnel. Others, like my friend, had to go to dialysis and got stuck on the way home. Firetrucks, police cars, and ambulances got stuck too. People on this board from their comfy zones love to condemn others.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I know people are free to post whatever they feel on these cites but these threads always **** me the hell off... It screams of a self-absorbed only care about my little bubble in Manhattan and nothing else transplant who could give two ***** about what happened to anyone else... HOW in the freaking hell can you say sandy was not a big deal...

I worked for two weeks in the hurricane relief effort down in Far Rockaway and if you saw the destruction that was caused by that storm it would leave you speechless... One specific house of a woman whose entire livelihood and home was wrecked happened to be in Poland visiting family the day of the storm and her husband was left alone... He ended up dying due to hurricane sandy and while our job was to help with the cleaning and reconstruction work as much as we could, consoling this grieving widow was a difficult but rewarding job as well... There were so many stories of families who lost everything due to this hurricane and there are currently so many people within the tri-state area who are in a state of emergency due to Hurricane Sandy but because your prissy or "up and coming" "trendy", "hip" part of Manhattan (which would be cleaned up at 5:00 with 01 second if the storm ended at 5) was taken care of immediately and you didn't suffer from this storm, the news anchors are being alarmists...

Personally, I'd rather be overprepared, over-protected, over-advised, etc. anyday over the under-prepared, protected and advised... Just think about what happened to all the people in Katrina who suffered such a horrific fate for taking the same laissez faire attitude you and so many other transplant or self absorbed native New Yorkers seem to have when it comes to these events...

Quit your whining and your complaining about the News stations who "annoyingly" do what they can to help New Yorkers prepare for these events...
First, I didn't say Sandy wasn't a big deal; I said that overall, considering how many people were affected, that they did a pretty good job at getting things back to normal for most people in under 100 days. Second, the disaster of Katrina was in no way comparable, partly because it's a completely different mindset.

I just think it wouldn't have hurt if 1)the news could have inserted a sentence or two to say that in the following areas, things are functioning well and 2)the news could have USEFUL information instead of tabloid idiocy like the woman tearfully reading a letter she wrote because she thought she would die in her car. I didn't watch the news beforehand, but I wonder if they did anything like telling people to stop driving on highways lest they get stuck.

GeoKing, I agree that it seemed that people used to be more cautious and perhaps use more common sense. I was thinking that it seems to me that schools didn't use to close at the drop of a hat, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

And, KefirKing, yes, Downton Abbey was the focus of my weekend, too.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM

246 posts, read 593,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Remember in 2010 when no one took the snowstorm seriously, and Bloomberg decided not to plow the streets and we were all screwed?

I'm glad everyone over-reacts, over prepares. I pay enough freakin taxes that I like my streets plowed. I don't care if the media overhypes a mega Blizzard that turns to nothing. Even 2 inches of unplowed snow can screw the city up.
Bloomberg decided not to plow the streets ...Now thats funny..

Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
Then explain to me why in my over 35 years of living in nyc it was the first time the streets were never plowed? I remember city plow trucks just idling around while the snow was building up.
The snowstorm wasn't even that big, the streets just weren't plowed in a timely fashion and it shut the city down.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
Quote:
I thought the sanitation department had gone on strike or something over a pay rise and purposely didn't clear them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM

First off the Sanitation Dept was cleared of any wrong doing.Second just look at long island same amount of snow and they shut down the L.I.E and there snow personal isn't getting blamed.In 2010 the snow came down so fast it even stop the trains and then you had all the idiots who just had to go out and drive there cars around during a snow storm. Tell me how do you plow a block that has got a car stuck in the middle of it or plow a block that has a car that some fool could not park all the way to the curb so nothing else fits down that block.As for those trucks idling most of those trucks were stuck as well.I tell people all the time if you want to know what they are doing just go up to them and ask is stead of accusing them of something they didnt do believe me they will tell you.
There was no strike and no job action being done.But what we did have was a bunch of street corner Mayors saying why cant they do this or why cant they do that..

Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
D
Quote:
First off the Sanitation Dept was cleared of any wrong doing.Second just look at long island same amount of snow and they shut down the L.I.E and there snow personal isn't getting blamed.In 2010 the snow came down so fast it even stop the trains and then you had all the idiots who just had to go out and drive there cars around during a snow storm. Tell me how do you plow a block that has got a car stuck in the middle of it or plow a block that has a car that some fool could not park all the way to the curb so nothing else fits down that block.As for those trucks idling most of those trucks were stuck as well.I tell people all the time if you want to know what they are doing just go up to them and ask is stead of accusing them of something they didnt do believe me they will tell you.
There was no strike and no job action being done.But what we did have was a bunch of street corner Mayors saying why cant they do this or why cant they do that..
Then explain to me why my parents who live on great neck at the queens/long island border had clear streets in the same exact snowstorm, while across the border in queens as well as the rest of nyc the streets were a mess. Bloomberg dropped the ball big time. The 2010 snowstorm was no bigger than any other snow.

With the last storm, suffolk got hit with a different part of the storm path while the rest of western long island and nyc was pretty much spared. That's why the LIE was shut down in Suffolk

I give Bloomberg credit for over preparing now since he screwed up so badly in 2010

Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 AM

Maybe you should run for Mayor ....

Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
A couple dimwits were hollering that it was terrible that the LIE wasn't plowed for a day or two as if it was possible to plow a road littered with hundreds of stuck cars in all lanes.

A lesson that could be learned: In a major blizzrd shut down the main arteries as was done and run plows. ANYONE stuck on these roads after the ordered closure should be fined an automatic $1000 and the fine should be collected before the car can be re-registered in New York.
PERIOD.

An alternative might be to use powerful helicopters to pick up the offending vehicles and drop them into Long Island Sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City