Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM

145 posts, read 307,124 times

Advertisements

I had a washing machine and dryer in my old apt. in Murray Hill - they were there when I moved in and were pretty old. It was super convenient (though noisy as hell when they ran!), but the water in that apt. was disgusting (it was brown!) and I started noticing huge stains showing up on my clothes - had to stop using the washer at that point and go back to patronizing the local laundromat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Somebody gave me one. First tiny wash was okay, couldn't find a decent place for the machine. Second wash flooded. Mopped and mopped and mopped.
Rolled it back to original owner with a fond "thanks by no thanks."

We have dozens of machines downstairs in 3 sizes, the biggestest rated at 45 pounds for $2.75...now THAT'S the way to do wash.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
The newer machines actually don't use a lot of water. Whirlpool makes some nice models. The problem is in NYC most people care very little about conserving water since water has always been abundant here. It sickens me.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
my portable also has a speedy setting which lets it rinse only twice instead of three times, so I am saving a bit of water on that. I also feel that my clothes are really not soiled, as much as sweat so 2 rinses to me is sufficient.
why waste electricity and water, when it really isnt necessary.

then i hang everything on the clothesline, love it. dry for free.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The newer machines actually don't use a lot of water. Whirlpool makes some nice models. The problem is in NYC most people care very little about conserving water since water has always been abundant here. It sickens me.
Don't feel bad, it's going to rain this weekend.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Landlords and co-ops all forbid them. They are accidents waiting to happen.
But of course, like the aspholes who took their cars onto the LIE in the last stnowstom some people are too stupid to have any foresight and resent any common sense restictions on their stupidity.
Why do you continually make ABSOLUTE statements which are false?!

Proof:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
LG makes a washer/dryer in one unit. Someone I know with rental properties installed these units in her apartments so as to attract tenants who wanted in unit w/d. She owns/operates multi-family townhouse style properties, and they have worked well. No floods from the washer, but they have had incidents where a tenant left something in the sink when the washer drained into it, blocking the drain and causing an overflow.

Washer Dryer Combos: Compare LG's Washer Dryer Combos | LG USA

For the OP, I would only install if the landlord agreed to it in a small building because it will be much more easily discovered as others have pointed out in this thread.
Proof 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well as a Co-Op owner, we owners are allowed to have portable washer, but some of the renters from way back in they day still have them.
But I def do understand why the LL doesnt want tenants to have them, not because the LL is mean, but accidents do happen.
I was doing a white wash on day and was sitting on the couch, when all of a sudden I thought, gee, this doesnt sound right, and as I got up from the couch, I had forgotten to put the hose into the sink and the water was all over my kitchen floor, and because it was a white wash it was filled with bleech so i couldnt even use my bath towels to soak it up, I had to use ll the rags i had...

this has never happend to me again, as i am really careful about the house...luckikly nothing happend as far as the tenant below me.

actually we have so many laundromats here in brooklyn that it isnt really a big deal to not have a washer. you can fit more clothes in the bigger machines anyway.

Why is it people choose to define the world for everyone by their narrow nimrodded experience(s)?

Is it, I know not, so it exists not?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,674 times
Most portable washers hold 1 to 2 cubic feet. A bath tub 12.
Portable washers mostly draw 2 to 3 amps. A video game console and a tv draw about 2 amps each and have potential to make more noise.
Typical vacuum cleaner draws over 8 amps and make 70 dBA noise at 10 ft.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 AM

I consider it the height of luxury to roll a ton of clothes downstairs and toss them into a WASCOMAT front loading commercial quality washer (15, 30 or 45 pounds<immense>) and then into a huge drum dryer that doesn't know what a wrinkle IS.

Those hokey-pokey, space robbing, apartment sized noisemakers are a joke.

And wait till the tenant downstairs compains about the GRIND, grind grind... GRIND, grind grind... GRIND, grind, grind while he's trying to watch HOMELAND.

And give it enough time and you will inevitably cause a $$$$flood$$$$...and your iunsurance won't cover the damages.

Somebody gave me one. I used it twice and gave it back.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:24 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I consider it the height of luxury to roll a ton of clothes downstairs and toss them into a WASCOMAT front loading commercial quality washer (15, 30 or 45 pounds<immense>) and then into a huge drum dryer that doesn't know what a wrinkle IS.

Those hokey-pokey, space robbing, apartment sized noisemakers are a joke.

And wait till the tenant downstairs compains about the GRIND, grind grind... GRIND, grind grind... GRIND, grind, grind while he's trying to watch HOMELAND.

And give it enough time and you will inevitably cause a $$$$flood$$$$...and your iunsurance won't cover the damages.

Somebody gave me one. I used it twice and gave it back.

Actually, I have a perfect place in my kitchen for my portable washer which I have had for 25 years now, it isn't robbing space at all for me, and am on my second one. Other than the one mis-hap I had many years ago, I have had no problems. It doesn't make that much noise, the tenant below never complained, but then, they are owners also. It hasn't cause this "Niagra Falls" type of flood people think will happen. I use cold water when needed, so the hot water isn't being used all the time. The washer has never overflowed. My mother has a washer in the basement for 50 years, it never flooded or overflowed.....

What I do think is retarded about some of the comments on this thread, is when a few posters ask, "how will you dry the clothes"? as if this couldn't be figured out???? or there was some sort of scientific way this was to be done.....How do you think clothes dried before dryers were invented? (that is really a no brainer).

clothesline or rack, or a plain old hanger, I mean it can be done.............some people are just so clueless.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:

How do you think clothes dried before dryers were invented?
On a clothes line in the back yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City