Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 PM

88 posts, read 201,681 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm going to a concert at the Barclays Center this May. I currently live in Monmouth Co, New Jersey. I've never been to Brooklyn. So I'd imagine that it will be quite a trip from Central Jersey to BKLN.

Of course, I'm not going to drive all the way to Brooklyn. I'll have to take NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line to NY Penn Station, and then take NYC Subway line 2 or 3 to the arena.

My only concern is getting back to NJ via the NYC Subway and then via NJ Transit. Usually, trains on the North Jersey Coast Line depart from NY Penn Station only once per hour. And, according to the NJ Transit timetables, the last train on the North Jersey Coast Line leaves Penn Station at around 11 pm on the night of the concert.

I don't want to miss the last train from Penn Station back to NJ. So I'm willing to leave the concert early, in order to prevent myself from being stuck in Manhattan for the rest of the night.

How long is the trip from the Barclays Center to Penn Station on the subway?

How early should I leave the concert in order to catch the last train from Penn Station back to NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,779 times
The 2 train is about 20-25 minutes from Atlantic to Penn. But late night you always have to factor in extra time since trains come less frequently. I can't comment about NJ transit options because I never use them.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,750 times
The 2 train late night, usually, runs pretty efficiently and you should be back to the Penn in about 25 mins. Have you considered using the PATH train in case anything goes wrong or would that not be helpful?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
I can see asking advice for train service for an area you are unsure of, but the best advice would be to check the times of the NJ trains out of Penn Station to give you a definite answer when your last train would be and go from their. Google maps is also a useful tool in planning a trip from Barclay to Penn to give you a better idea when you really need to leave by.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
I suggest you drive!!

By doing so, you control your own circumstance, and are not dependant upon public transport timetables; and/or the vagaries of the late night subway!

After 10 pm, the subway is subject to all sorts of maintenance delays; the later the worst it gets.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
The last train out of Penn Station is 1:45am....

Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I see 1:00 AM departure from Penn Station every day of the week for the Shore Line.

(So enjoy the whole concert...and you probably even have time for a drink_

Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Skimming through the schedules, it looks like the 1 am train might not go all the way into Monmouth County, past Long Branch the trains run less often as diesel shuttles. Perhaps the OP's best option is to drive to a closer in station with more train service (Long Branch or closer in) and park. A bit more hassle is worth not having to cut the concert short and worry about being stranded in the city.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM

88 posts, read 201,681 times
Hey everyone. I actually live near Long Branch.

The concert is on May 18. And according to the NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line timetables, the last train southbound out of Penn Station is around 11:15 pm. Quite surprising!

I've been told by Brooklynites over at TripAdvsior that the Barclays Center was made for mass transportation, and not for driving. I mean- Where in that part of Brooklyn could I park my car?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
I think you're reading the schedule wrong. The last train that connects with a train to Bay Head leaves at 11:05PM. However, the last train to Long Branch (with no connection to Bay Head) leaves at 1:00AM every day. So if you're at Long Branch, you can just catch that 1AM train.

In any case, I'd leave a little more than an hour to get from the stadium to Penn Station. The train ride itself is only about 20-25 minutes as others have mentioned (maybe a little more if the train is running local), but you have to walk to the station, wait for the train, and then walk around within Penn Station to find your NJT train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: