Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times

Advertisements

dag futurecop is batting O for 2. (i kid)

don't listen to him on bed stuy though, go see it for yourself. Some parts are bad and some arent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,090 times
Default similiar situation

I am also from Phoenix, went to ASU got my degree in marketing and minor in mass comm and graduated this past May. I work in advertising and have been looking to get out of Phoenix and move into a larger market for my industry like Chicago or NYC. I actually am traveling to NYC for interviews tomorrow.

I can't give you any information about NYC but I can give you advice on what you need to do to possibly get a job there.

You need to get an internship and one in the industry you would like to work in. Jobs in NYC are very competitive and being 3,000 miles away makes it even harder. You need something that makes you stand out. I've had four internships, studied abroad and one of my internships was abroad so I have international experience. Try to get a summer internship in NYC, many companies offer them. That would be a great way to get your foot in the door and not miss school.

Your best bet is a referral by someone already working in the company otherwise you might just have to drop-in to the offices and hope they will talk to you. Another way is to find out who works in the human resource department and try to get an interview through them even if its just informational. E-mail, call them and bug the hell out of them most of them are willing to talk to you and as long as you make it clear you are willing to fly out anytime.

A couple of interviews I had in Chicago were referrals with this interview I have in NYC I got lucky. The right resume at the right time.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
dag futurecop is batting O for 2. (i kid)

don't listen to him on bed stuy though, go see it for yourself. Some parts are bad and some arent.
Dude, seriously, what the hell is “i kid?” I’m 0 for 2? I’ll admit my embarrassment, but I will not admit my Bed-Stuy comment as wrong. The name of this user sounds like a woman, and to say that a woman should move to fricking Bed-Stuy is ridiculous. It ain’t the UES, it’s BED-STUY! Maybe she would be fine, but to take a chance like that isn’t worth it, especially if you want to be out past 8 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City