Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,192 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I was born in North NJ and grew up there until I was 14. I've lived in Miami since and I am now 25.

One of the reasons I want to move is I'm slightly bored of living in the same city for such a long time and want to branch out and experience new parts of the country while I'm still young.

Miami was fun for me for a while going out partying all the time and meeting new people / girls but the high cost / low wages / overall party mentality has gotten to me and I want out. I am no longer all that happy here.

Anyway, I don't have jobs lined up yet but I currently am a social media manager and getting a little low-balled here in Miami. But looking at classifieds on craigslist, careerbuilder, etc I could probably rake in an easy 35k-40k if I line up the right job. How is the tech / internet industry like in NYC? It is terrible in Miami. I know West Coast is the best for tech jobs but NYC can't be too far off.

Would like some advice from some people who have done the switch from Miami to the greatest city in the world, NYC. Also, what I'm looking for is:

Decent, safe-ish area very close to subway so I can get around to Manhattan and other parts of NYC easily. I don't need fancy or luxurious living, just a decent, safe, bed-bug free place to rest my head at!

I obviously don't expect to have a car. I'm interested in good nightlife but just so I can meet new friends and girls. How is the dating scene like in NYC? I'd like to be a neighborhood with a rich counter-culture / hipster vibe although it's not a deal breaker if I have to live somewhere further away from this. I need a good music scene and would like to meet cool, like-minded people.

I may have a friend to setup with for a month or so while I look for a job.

I also hate not having a car in Miami and our poorly planned public transportation system so I need a city with an excellent train / public transportation system. I'm saving up to potentially move 6 months from now, will probably have 8k-10k on me.

How bad is the bed bug problem in NYC?

Thoughts?

Edit:

I guess my budget for housing would be $750-$1000 a month. Is it possible? And I am not opposed to having roomates but if I can get away with having a small, livable studio for a decent price, I'd rather do that than have roomates. I currently spend $750 a month on housing in Miami at a really nice big, comfortable house with roomates near the Downtown area. I could easily have rented out a slightly smaller house for about $500 a piece each roomate but decided to go with a bigger house. (dumb of me because I'd love to have that extra $250 a month) What are decent, working class affordable neighborhoods and which ones should I avoid at all costs? Brief me. Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Last edited by rareandlegendary; 03-09-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 PM

912 posts, read 2,101,242 times
You have to spend more than $1000 a month

Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,192 times
even with roomates?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,819,235 times
Peruse and search the forum, all your questions are already answered.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
How ironic that you want to move here from Miami and I want to leave NYC for Miami.

You would have to spend about $800-1000+ with roommates. Living in NY is expensive and a 2 bedroom apartment goes for about $1400+ in a good neighborhood.

If I were you, I'd live in Queens (primarily Long Island City, Astoria, Jackson Heights or Kew Gardens) anywhere further than that would be a pain to commute to. A lot of people love Brooklyn, I'm not sure why if its super expensive for half the space of anywhere else.

Manhattan on the budget you mention would be out of the question, unless you're willing to live in a 1 bedroom with 3 people. But for that move to Brooklyn, that's what peeps in BK do.

The Bronx has the largest apartments and the best rents but if you're willing to live in the ghetto then I wouldn't even consider it. Although there are some parts of the Bronx that are nice but have no public transportation nearby.

Dating in NYC is great for men. About 5:1 ratio of women to men.

Hanging out in NY all depends on the kind of crowd you want to be around.

Lots of wannabes in Brooklyn but a really chill ambiance.

Astoria is cool for lowkey outtings.

The Lower East Side/Village is great for partying and bar hopping.

Be prepared to go to Brunch a lot. New Yorkers love to brunch.

Try searching here for some info on tech jobs: http://nycstartupjobfair.com/

Hope this helps!

PS: any insight you can provide about Miami and job searching would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by MLNYC; 03-19-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 AM

620 posts, read 1,074,604 times
I beg to differ about the Bronx , yes it has its ghetto areas but there also nice areas also that are not ghetto. I am in a diverse area with 2 train lines that take me right into the city. I have walked home even at 2 at night and its safe. I pay 600$ for a room EVeRYTHING included. This allows to financially enjoy all nyc has to offer and still save money . Depends on what your comfortable with .

Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,259,113 times
Tech sector is growing in NYC. I would make sure to up your overall computer as well as programming skills if you haven't already done so to butress the management skills you gained in Miami.

With what you expect to make you are not going to be able to live in a trendy neighborhood unless you want to have a ton of roomates and live cramped.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,246,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLNYC View Post
How ironic that you want to move here from Miami and I want to leave NYC for Miami.

You would have to spend about $800-1000+ with roommates. Living in NY is expensive and a 2 bedroom apartment goes for about $1400+ in a good neighborhood.

If I were you, I'd live in Queens (primarily Long Island City, Astoria, Jackson Heights or Kew Gardens) anywhere further than that would be a pain to commute to. A lot of people love Brooklyn, I'm not sure why if its super expensive for half the space of anywhere else.

Manhattan on the budget you mention would be out of the question, unless you're willing to live in a 1 bedroom with 3 people. But for that move to Brooklyn, that's what peeps in BK do.

The Bronx has the largest apartments and the best rents but if you're willing to live in the ghetto then I wouldn't even consider it. Although there are some parts of the Bronx that are nice but have no public transportation nearby.

Dating in NYC is great for men. About 5:1 ratio of women to men.

Hanging out in NY all depends on the kind of crowd you want to be around.

Lots of wannabes in Brooklyn but a really chill ambiance.

Astoria is cool for lowkey outtings.

The Lower East Side/Village is great for partying and bar hopping.

Be prepared to go to Brunch a lot. New Yorkers love to brunch.

Try searching here for some info on tech jobs: NYC Startup Job Fair

Hope this helps!

PS: any insight you can provide about Miami and job searching would be greatly appreciated!

If you don't know sh*t about the Bronx than don't say untrue things...Do a little research on a topic before you speak about it. And with that get outta town and go to MIA

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,414,033 times
Are you bananas? Move from miami?

Smh Do you really think nyc has a
better quality of life than that?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 AM

26 posts, read 39,071 times
I have lived in NYC and Miami. Stay in Miami. I have to commute to NY monthly to manage some family affairs. My airfare is $200/month, but it is worth the expense not to have to move back to NYC, and I can afford the airfare bcause the cost of living in Miami is so low. Before I left my job, I lived a distance which was a 45 minute walk, 30minute jog, 20 minute bike ride, 25 minute bus ride, or 10 minute drive. When I want to hang out with friends in Miami, but can't use the car I share, I volunteer to be the designated driver, so long as someone carpools with me. Don't get me started on the weather!

One thing I miss about NY is New Yorkers. Miamians are flaky. I love y'all, but it is true for me. I'm convinced your public transportation is so unreliable because down here, in general, society is unreliable. If you make dinner plans with the most unreliable New Yorker younknow, you will have dinner that night. It might be later than originally planned, or in a different venue, but you have dinner plans, and they probably won't be broken. Down here I double-book myself all the time. At least once a week! And despite doing this for four years, I have never had to cancel.

I was happy in NY; I'm happier in Miami. I think you should just move closer to where you work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City