Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 AM

791 posts, read 1,153,749 times

Advertisements

What is it like living in heavy populated New York city? Is it easy getting work jobs and easy making friends? How long does it get used to the busy New York City way of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
It is pure hell, dont move here

Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Two years tells the tale. Most that can not deal with the gotham grind will leave in that time span. The ones who can survive stay longer. Making friends depend on you and your personality. Come to NYC, strong, healthy and wealthy. If you are poor and come to NYC and you make it you can bask in your glory. If you fail you can always go some place else where it is slower and quieter.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
[quote=YellowstoneDate;28631704]What is it like living in heavy populated New York city? Is it easy getting work jobs and easy making friends? How long does it get used to the busy New York City way of life?[/QUOTE

Asking these questions is like asking what kind of food do people eat...Its not a general question. Its different for everyone. Perhaps you should ask people to share their stories about when the moved here and if the found work easily and made friends.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM

175 posts, read 352,892 times
It's great. NYC has to be the most challenging and rewarding city in the US. But it does suck when you open your paycheck and see that NYS & NYC have taken 40% of your money. Not even a please or thank you

Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
I think living in NYC makes it harder to make friends. The only way to deal with being so close to so many people is to put on your blinders. Example, you can be almost smashed nose to nose in a crowded subway car but you always avert your eyes. Same thing when you walk down the street for the most part. You might acknowledge someone on the street with brief eye contact or a head nod but you don't say hi to everyone you see. People also tend to stay in their social circles. There is a lot of segragation by income level and race here.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM

175 posts, read 279,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneDate View Post
What is it like living in heavy populated New York city? Is it easy getting work jobs and easy making friends? How long does it get used to the busy New York City way of life?
What is it like living in heavy populated New York City? I love living in a heavily populated city. I knew before I moved here that I wanted a condensed, walkable city.

Is it easy getting around work/jobs? Yes, I personally find that it is easy, relative to where I came from (Houston). The MTA (NYC public transportation system) can be quite frustrating. Delays, detours, suicides, local lines running express, express lines running local, construction, weather-related changes, fair hikes, and vague "incidents" and "investigations" making it difficult to go where I need to go. But I will take the MTA on its worst day than navigating Houston sprawl, detours, construction, accidents, soul-sucking traffic, and sky-rocketing gas prices, even on its best day. And on public transit, someone else is doing the driving. Even in standing-room-only, shoulder-to-shoulder rush hour, I have my headphones in and I'm enjoying my books on tape.

Is it easy making friends? It was difficult for me. I am not the most outgoing person. Having roommates helped, because I at least knew them, and I eventually became friends with their friends. I was also working and in grad school, and for the most part coworkers and classmates already had their social circles and didn't seem interested in making new friends, but I got close to a few. I still don't have a lot of friends, but I have a few close friends, which is my preference anyway.

How long does it take to get used to the busy NYC way of life? I'm busy with work and school..so within a few weeks I was in the grind myself!

Good luck!!! Going on 2 years for me and I love it!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM

370 posts, read 624,364 times
I don't think making friends is too hard, it's keeping them. NYC is a transient city so many people are moving in and out. I had so many friends when I went to undergrad in Manhattan and then slowly my friends moved to Chicago, L.A., or back home. Then there's also the borough thing--you hit it off with someone but you're from Queens and they're from The Bronx. You will try to get together and meet up but it will be so difficult b/c of work schedules and the distance that you are from one another that eventually this friendship will fizzle out.
Jobs can be hard to find these days- but it depends on what field you are in. I have a few friends that were laid off last year and it took them all around 7-8 months to find another job. Many of them ended up settling for jobs not in their field.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM

175 posts, read 279,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I don't think making friends is too hard, it's keeping them. NYC is a transient city so many people are moving in and out. I had so many friends when I went to undergrad in Manhattan and then slowly my friends moved to Chicago, L.A., or back home. Then there's also the borough thing--you hit it off with someone but you're from Queens and they're from The Bronx. You will try to get together and meet up but it will be so difficult b/c of work schedules and the distance that you are from one another that eventually this friendship will fizzle out.
Jobs can be hard to find these days- but it depends on what field you are in. I have a few friends that were laid off last year and it took them all around 7-8 months to find another job. Many of them ended up settling for jobs not in their field.
Yes, I cannot agree with you more. It is pretty sad to establish a close friendship with someone over a few months..only for them to decide that NY isn't for them, or that they aren't for NY, and go back home. This has happened to me more than once. Or have a friend that you see regularly move to Queens and essentially vanish. It is pretty sad that these people I had a genuine, easy connection with, which doesn't happen very often, are now just facebook friends.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneDate View Post
i would say it was easy for me to make friends faster than anywhere i have ever been. maybe i just meshed with new yorkers but back home, i had no friends or no life. the busiest is overwhelming at first but if you have someone who can teach you, you can learn it in 2 weeks, i learned the whole subway line and locations in a 2 week vacation stay(and i'm a person with serious anxiety problems but not here!). now getting jobs...thats another story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City