Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,257,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wanted Pr to win. I stopped watching the game after the fifth inning
Man, gotta say you always been a huge PR fan. You should rep Gyanesese and helipcopter Coke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
wat is Bushwick "darkside"?
I don't live in Bushwick, I live in Ridgewood by Grover Cleveland HS... I think you asked me this based on something I had written previously... just wanted to clarify.

To answer your question though, Bushwicks dark side used to be the Wilson ave stop... Anything passing Wilson including Bushwick Aberdeen and Broadway going down was a no no other than Canarcie on the L... Times have changed though... The area is still arguably the worst part of Bushwick but it's definitely gotten tamer in recent years... Ever since that kid that had just finished graduating from Cortland University was shot outside his home for no apparent reason, it seems as if the neighbors in that immediate area just decided to finally take back the neighborhood from the Bloods and Crips that had held that neighborhood hostage for so long...

http://bushwickbk.com/2011/05/31/vio...aves-one-dead/

Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You also have to mention that Salsa no longer exists. There maybe bands that perform at night clubs and what not, but the music as a commodity is dead. As times change so do trends
Please, stop talking what you don't know... I'm trying to protect you from sounding foolish on here... The NYC salsa scene is definitely on the decline overall but Puerto Rican salsa from PR, Columbian Salsa, Cuban Salsa, etc. is still going strong... It may not sound like the classics did but salsa will always be around...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wanted Pr to win. I stopped watching the game after the fifth inning
I can't lie when it comes to the baseball classic, I root for DR only cause my boy Robbie Cano is on that team... Even though I hate the word swag and everything it currently represents for this generation of kids, I gotta admit that dude is the purest form of swag waving a bat... I was getting my haircut the day DR was facing Italy and when he hit that home run it was like watching Darryl Strawberry all over again... Such a pure swing it was poetry in motion... He needs to stop playing around with the yankees and get it going because he definitely had a down year this year...

Now when it comes to basketball PR and USA are the only teams i'll ever root for...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I can't lie when it comes to the baseball classic, I root for DR only cause my boy Robbie Cano is on that team... Even though I hate the word swag and everything it currently represents for this generation of kids, I gotta admit that dude is the purest form of swag waving a bat... I was getting my haircut the day DR was facing Italy and when he hit that home run it was like watching Darryl Strawberry all over again... Such a pure swing it was poetry in motion... He needs to stop playing around with the yankees and get it going because he definitely had a down year this year...

Now when it comes to basketball PR and USA are the only teams i'll ever root for...
Man, are you right side PR and left side DR a´or mix of both...just asking?

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 03-20-2013 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That does sound very sad Whitlock. Why sell yourself so short...there is a big world out there, you have no kids so why not see what else there is? There is a reason why so many people leave this city, and are happy to have gotten out....
Thanks, man for the right words.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,688,272 times
Quote:
Please, stop talking what you don't know... I'm trying to protect you from sounding foolish on here... The NYC salsa scene is definitely on the decline overall but Puerto Rican salsa from PR, Columbian Salsa, Cuban Salsa, etc. is still going strong... It may not sound like the classics did but salsa will always be around...
Nobody listens to Salsa anymore. When I said it's dead, I'm referring to the commodification of it. Of course, Salsa dance classes and clubs exist, but as far as it being a popular music, it's dead. Dembow and Bachata are what these youngings are listening to know. Salsa is no longer popular music.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Nobody listens to Salsa anymore. When I said it's dead, I'm referring to the commodification of it. Of course, Salsa dance classes and clubs exist, but as far as it being a popular music, it's dead. Dembow and Bachata are what these youngings are listening to know. Salsa is no longer popular music.
Well, nobody listens to AL GREEN anymore.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I don't live in Bushwick, I live in Ridgewood by Grover Cleveland HS... I think you asked me this based on something I had written previously... just wanted to clarify.

To answer your question though, Bushwicks dark side used to be the Wilson ave stop... Anything passing Wilson including Bushwick Aberdeen and Broadway going down was a no no other than Canarcie on the L... Times have changed though... The area is still arguably the worst part of Bushwick but it's definitely gotten tamer in recent years... Ever since that kid that had just finished graduating from Cortland University was shot outside his home for no apparent reason, it seems as if the neighbors in that immediate area just decided to finally take back the neighborhood from the Bloods and Crips that had held that neighborhood hostage for so long...

Violent Memorial Weekend Leaves One Dead » The Bushwick News/BushwickBK
Thank you.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Man, are you right side PR and left side DR a´or mix of both...just asking?
Yea I'm half Puerto Rican half Dominican but where I live at all the barbershops are dominican so it's hard rooting for another team when that world classic comes around... Honestly though, I haven't rooted for PR in baseball since the 90s during that Caribbean series where they had Edgar Martinez, Robby Alomar, Bernie Williams, Carlos Delgado, etc... Man that team was stacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City