Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, no, most crime is not committed by black males.
Not sure where you got that idea, but since you brought it up. There was a New York Times story a few years ago that included the following statistic: 80% of all shootings in a given year were committed by black males, even though they comprise 23 % (I think ?) of the city's population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,811 times
I didn't know being shot was the only type of crime that exist.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
For 2012 the reported figure was 72-75% depending on the source....I know the liberals will say nonsense like "all family types are equal" but common sense says that kids without a father figure present will not do as well as kids with a father figure.
And this is exactly what I'm talking about with them skewing the atsts.

Out of wedlock means that the child was born while the parents weren't married. If two people were in a relationship, and started having sex a year before they got married, and the child came out 9 months later (3 months before the wedding), that child was technically born out of wedlock. There are plenty of people who are in a relationship 3-5 years before they get married, and in the meantime, they might have 1 or 2 kids.

A child born out of wedlock doesn't necessarily have to grow up without a father. (And for that matter, what about people who have their kids while they're married, but they get divorced? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Unfortunately, Dennis Brown I cannot think of one black area in the city where crime isnt prevalent. I will list NYPD Pct's where most of the residents are black. In the Bronx 47 which covers Wakefield. The 28 and 32 which cover central Harlem. The 73 and 75 in Brooklyn which cover East NY and Brownsville. THe 113 and 103 which cover Jamaica, Cambria Heights and Springfield Gardens and Laurelton. The 120 which covers Stapleton in SI. I'm everyone can come up with reasons why crime happens in these areas but there is no denying that those are very busy pcts. I also forgot the 67 which covers East Flatbush.

When you figure out crime rates, you do it by neighborhood, not by precinct. I guarantee you that if you factored Jamaica & South Jamaica out of the 103 & 113th precinct, you'd come up with a much lower crime rate. And doesn't the 47th precinct cover the Edenwald PJs (and I think Boston-Secor, and some third one I can't recall right now)? Don't you think that impacts the crime rate? Factor those out, and see how much the crime rate drops. There are a few other pockets where crime is higher than average (For instance, some areas by White Plains Road). Factor those out and watch the crime rate drop further.

And you clearly know nothing about Staten Island. The 120th precinct isn't a high-crime precinct (compared to the rest of the city. It's the highest-crime precinct in SI, but there's only 3 precincts out here), nor is it even close to being predominantly black, so why bother mentioning it? Yeah, it includes Stapleton. So what? (Stapleton isn't even majority black anymore. Hispanics moving into the area pushed the black population under 50%). There are plenty of neighborhoods within the precinct that aren't black neighborhoods (they're more diverse, some with Hispanic pluralities), and a decent amount are even white neighborhoods (75+% white).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Not sure where you got that idea, but since you brought it up. There was a New York Times story a few years ago that included the following statistic: 80% of all shootings in a given year were committed by black males, even though they comprise 23 % (I think ?) of the city's population.
23% of the city's population is black. That means about 11-12% are black males.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

23% of the city's population is black. That means about 11-12% are black males.
Ugh, that's even worse.
I recall that this article was researched and written in 2009.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
While I'm not sure if the information is completely accurate, this map section of city-data could help: //www.city-data.com/mobile_maps.html

Perhaps searching through the NY Times census maps could help.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Yeah. So have I. Some could not take the ghetto folk and their lifestyle and "fled."
Others stayed but they are vastly more realistic about the area than you are.
And it has nothing to do with this bizarre "courage" thing. They were priced out of every other area.
No, they could have left NYC altogether and found much cheaper housing elsewhere. But they weren't utter cowards like some people (particularly Norwood Woman) who flee like cripple old women to alleged safe places. So yes, these young white and asian women has more balls than Ms. Norwood. Chickens and Cowards on this thread.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
You really are dense, aren't you? Even if most of the shootings in the city are done by Black men, CRIME does not EQUAL SHOOTING. Any violation of the law is a crime, PERIOD, from tax evasion to speeding. You've provided no written source that claims most of the violations of the law in NYC are committed by Black men.

I'd like to you to provide such a link from a reputable source, if it exists.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 PM

Once again I disregarded good advice to ignore that poster no matter what.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 PM

To the extent shootings do occur in the city, its mostly organized crime (you have participants of all races) People don't just come up to perfect strangers and shoot them.

Harlem and Norwood Girl are trying to cover up their sissy boy cowardice. Does mommy let you girls outside alone? Ooh, its so scary out there.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Writer your a punk who get his courage behind a keyboard.
You fled to Putnam like a punk/wimp. I can deal with NYC just fine. Your lack of manhood amazes me. Real men don't get pushed out of where they grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City