Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NYC worth it?
Yes 47 50.00%
No 47 50.00%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Considering everything, do you get what you pay for in the NYC area or it's overpriced for what you get?
Very overpriced for what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You don't get get space for what you pay for and yes things cost more here then in other cities but for the opportunities and all the possibilities the city offers you you get what you pay for.

What "opportunities"?

I see this word thrown around a lot to describe NYC, but they never clarify what it means exactly.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:00 PM

545 posts, read 908,870 times
Overpriced & underpaid, buy I'll never leave NYC. Even though the city has lost lots of it's grittiness and character I can't deny my love. I can commit to my city, not to a man!! Lol kinda funny.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatFightSexSleep View Post
I always found Central Park to be overrated, people desperate for "nature" when it feels artificial. I spent some time in Puerto Rico and nothing compares to the environment and atmosphere of the caribbean or any country near the equator. Man, what a great time you can have horseback riding through the foothills by el Yunque rainforest, jogging through the beach sand in endless miles, biking town to town in awesome weather, colorful houses. It's not suffocating like NYC.
Not everyone likes tropical climates. I for one hate them. More insects, more disease, more reptiles, etc/

Also, what you did above was a vacation. Its very different from living there, which might be a whole different monster.

And you do indeed have horseback riding, mountains, lakes, etc in New York State. Some people never leave NYC and go around to other places in the state or region. But that's on them.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What "opportunities"?

I see this word thrown around a lot to describe NYC, but they never clarify what it means exactly.
A number of the nation and world's richest people live here. So quite clearly there are business and career opportunities.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What "opportunities"?

I think they mean the opportunity to earn a starting salary of $45K as a NYC teacher instead of earning a starting salary of the same amount as a teacher in Dallas Source Source.
Or maybe it's the opportunity to make a fantastic $42k a year for an entry level NYPD officer instead of a lame $88K a year for entry level San Francisco PD. Source Source
Maybe it's the opportunity to see the most visited museum in the US? Oh no, that's in Washington DC.
Maybe it's the opportunity to live in the city with the most restaurants per capita? Oh no, that's Dallas.
Maybe it's the opportunity to have your child in a public school system that has the same graduation rate as Detroit?
Hmmm...

Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 PM

420 posts, read 805,257 times
NYC is absolutely worth it. Its the most amazing city in the world and I've had a blast here...I will be getting married this summer and moving to the Midwest to a McMansion with a white picket fence in a racially homogenous suburb lol....I will definitely miss NYC. Its different things to different people. To me, it was a phase where I could live in the city for a few years and have fun, but its time to get on with my life on.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I think they mean the opportunity to earn a starting salary of $45K as a NYC teacher instead of earning a starting salary of the same amount as a teacher in Dallas Source Source.
Or maybe it's the opportunity to make a fantastic $42k a year for an entry level NYPD officer instead of a lame $88K a year for entry level San Francisco PD. Source Source
Maybe it's the opportunity to see the most visited museum in the US? Oh no, that's in Washington DC.
Maybe it's the opportunity to live in the city with the most restaurants per capita? Oh no, that's Dallas.
Maybe it's the opportunity to have your child in a public school system that has the same graduation rate as Detroit?
Hmmm...
I think if you know your way around the City it can be great. Eating at real authentic Italian shops in Dyker Heights one day then having a mojito another day in the Heights. School scores is a totally different animal. No real estate broker in the Burbs ever tells one of their clients listen were second or third best. Everyone is always the best.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
Hmmm...
Just what we need. Another bitter .. non-native ? non-resident ? someone who could not navigate things ?
too intimidated to visit ?

It's a great point about the museum though. If it's the most visited, it must be the best.

Right ?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Just what we need. Another bitter .. non-native ? non-resident ? someone who could not navigate things ?
too intimidated to visit ?
Nope, nope, nope and nope. Don't be mad because I pointed out some great things that other cities have that we do not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City