Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Aside from a few developments, the majority of the neighborhood is still crap.
There's no point... It really is hilarious to me though how insanely different the perception is from reality... Word to everything you could probably take a poll and ask a hundred people in the maspeth/glendale/ridgewood/bushwick area what they think of Bushwick and probably 90 out of the 100 would tell you high crime ghetto... Another 5 would probably tell you ghetto hood with hipsters and the other 5 would tell you hipster haven... The amount of misinformation spread online I don't even have words for anymore... I'm tired of speaking the truth... TO ALL THOSE WHO THINK IM EXAGGERATING... GO AND OBSERVE THE NEIGHBORHOOD YOU TALK ABOUT AND SEEM TO KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT! Go take a stroll down knickerbocker, irving by starr, troutman, willoughby, hart, stockholm, dekalb... thats right along that Williamsburg border... Check out the Bedford ave scene you all claim and see the reality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I want to rep you but I can't. It's always guys like NYwriterdude and NYkiddo yapping about things that they only read in the papers but on actually field eye to eye go into a bar and restaurant and listen to whats going on. I been to a bar near Grant st. I heard someone say "the Swhick", and another hipster say, "that was swhicki".
Are you jealous that some of us can read? LOL Btw, I I lived in Brooklyn for a few years and I still do go there sometimes. I can see hipsters in BUSHWICK, which is apparently killing you guys. So what I've seen confirms the newspaper reports. Going into denial does not change anything.

I lived in Bedstuy 2007-2009 and while there I hit bars up in Williamsburg, including a bar it what really Bushwick, but called East Williamsburg. Even then you saw a lot more white people in those areas. Many of my friends, who are white artists or students or white gays, live in Bushwick. Its a pretty popular area among young whites coming into the city.

Even Bedstuy, in the years I lived there, had a huge influx of whites. You can read about it in the papers and there are statistics on this as well.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 04-11-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are they using Community Board 4 boundaries for Bushwick?
I've always been bit confused at times about Bushwick's northern boundaries. I considered Bushwick boundaries Flushing Ave, Broadway, the graveyard to the south near Cypress Hills, and Cypress Ave. While others extend it's boundaries all the way north along Bushwick Ave around the area of Grand Street Campus and the Grand St L train station.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I've always been bit confused at times about Bushwick's northern boundaries. I considered Bushwick boundaries Flushing Ave, Broadway, the graveyard to the south near Cypress Hills, and Cypress Ave. While others extend it's boundaries all the way north along Bushwick Ave around the area of Grand Street Campus and the Grand St L train station.
That's as far into East Williamsburg as East Williamsburg can get... You're almost bordering southside by that time... But again I don't question what you say... Eventually people will be mentioning the North streets as part of far western Bushwick eventually... You'd be surprised at the amount of folks that don't want to live in a part of Brooklyn that many consider to have been discovered already... They still want to feel as though they live in a gritty part of Brooklyn and so the name Bushwick appeals to them so much more than East Williamsburg...

@ NYwriterdude, I'm still waiting for you to mention something other than yea I've visited Bushwick a couple of times without mentioning intersections or places you've been to... Same situation goes for the Stuy... What I'm assuming is that you've actually never been to either one of these areas but people convinced you of the fact that you were and so you were basing your experiences on Williamsburg and not Bushwick/Bed-stuy proper... Again, it's very simple... provide something concrete and with substance that shows me the area you visited was Bushwick and then we can take your rhetoric seriously... Until then, you haven't mentioned one single FACT on this thread yet and unfortunately you're being exposed...

By the way, there is no establishment in Bushwick that is called East Williamsburg... At all... Let's just get that out of the way... If you want, seeing as how you're clearly inexperienced with Bushwick, I can provide a tour of the boundaries for you... I just want to help build up your credibility... It's taken a major hit on this thread...

Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ NYwriterdude, I'm still waiting for you to mention something other than yea I've visited Bushwick a couple of times without mentioning intersections or places you've been to... Same situation goes for the Stuy... What I'm assuming is that you've actually never been to either one of these areas but people convinced you of the fact that you were and so you were basing your experiences on Williamsburg and not Bushwick/Bed-stuy proper... Again, it's very simple... provide something concrete and with substance that shows me the area you visited was Bushwick and then we can take your rhetoric seriously... Until then, you haven't mentioned one single FACT on this thread yet and unfortunately you're being exposed...
But for the record, I lived in Bedford Stuyvesant itself, as the corner of Nostrand and Greene . I saw with my own two eyes cafes move into the area, lots of whites move in, building renovations, new building construction, etc. The area has a pretty decent white population. Even on Nostrand Avenue on the A train, you'll see a lot of whites go shopping at the grocery stores and drug stores there. On craigslist, the number of new apartments accepting Section 8 or other welfare programs went WAY down, as more whites with money or who were students moved in.

I now this is something a lot of people don't like here, but that's too bad for you guys. Its happening, and you can deny until the end of time. It won't stop ANYTHING.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,337 times
Quote:
That's as far into East Williamsburg as East Williamsburg can get... You're almost bordering southside by that time... But again I don't question what you say... Eventually people will be mentioning the North streets as part of far western Bushwick eventually... You'd be surprised at the amount of folks that don't want to live in a part of Brooklyn that many consider to have been discovered already... They still want to feel as though they live in a gritty part of Brooklyn and so the name Bushwick appeals to them so much more than East Williamsburg...
No, I agree with you. I consider that particular area East Williamsburg, even though I've been in numerous debates with those who say it's "no it's Bushwick, Bushwick!! Bushwick!!" They extend the borders much more to the north than it actually is. EWB boundaries are Bushwick Ave, Flushing Ave, the eastern boarders at Maspeth-Ridgewood, northern boundaries at the expy. Google Maps got it right - east williamsburg - Google Maps

That being said, I know 2 women who moved near the Halsey station and they are calling it Brownsville! LOL.. They don't know what Brownsville is.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
As for the borderlines... It's weird because it isn't concrete by any means... I always mentioned this that the neighborhood would be so much easier to define if the borderlines were strictly Wyckoff to Broadway from Flushing ave to Cooper. anything to the west of Flushing ave would be east Williamsburg, anything to the north of Wyckoff would be ridgewood anything to the south of Broadway would be Bed-stuy and anything to the East of Cooper would be East NY/Brownsville...

Unfortunately, that is not the case... There is even a point somewhere around irving/knickerbocker that flushing ave cuts into East Williamsburg and is denoted by the 11206 zip code or 11211... Additionally, from Flushing ave to Menahan St. Cypress ave is the cutoff between Ridgewood and Bushwick and not Wyckoff... Once you pass Menahan St. for some odd reason, the borderline becomes St. Nicholas and after grove or linden, the border becomes Wyckoff... Similar situation goes for Flushing ave... Flushing ave is part of Bushwick from Cypress to Irving. When it veers to the left once it crosses irving heading into noll st and Melrose st it becomes a part of East Williamsburg and from there the border on Knickerbocker then becomes Melrose and on Wilson it becomes Jefferson and so forth and so on until Broadway. Apparently, google follows the community district 4 lines almost perfectly and when you see the zipcodes change from 11237 to 11206 you are no longer in Bushwick...

Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM

In that area, of the white students that I knew who lived in Bedstuy (where I lived for two years) or Bushwick, some went to Brooklyn schools like LIU or Pratt Institute. Others commuted to Manhattan to NYU or New School. And these were my neighbors. I knew other young whites who did things such as work for the New York Times. Yes, this was in Bedstuy 2007-2009, the area has gotten even whiter since then.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:

By the way, there is no establishment in Bushwick that is called East Williamsburg... At all... Let's just get that out of the way... If you want, seeing as how you're clearly inexperienced with Bushwick, I can provide a tour of the boundaries for you... I just want to help build up your credibility... It's taken a major hit on this thread...
I do know locals who considered much of what is officially East Williamsburg as part of Bushwick. This isn't just a transplant thing and there are locals who feel/thought calling the areas East Williamsburg (though technically correct) as a marketing push by real estate agents.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But for the record, I lived in Bedford Stuyvesant itself, as the corner of Nostrand and Greene . I saw with my own two eyes cafes move into the area, lots of whites move in, building renovations, new building construction, etc. The area has a pretty decent white population. Even on Nostrand Avenue on the A train, you'll see a lot of whites go shopping at the grocery stores and drug stores there. On craigslist, the number of new apartments accepting Section 8 or other welfare programs went WAY down, as more whites with money or who were students moved in.

I now this is something a lot of people don't like here, but that's too bad for you guys. Its happening, and you can deny until the end of time. It won't stop ANYTHING.
You're on the right path... It took you awhile but hard work and determination finding a proper Bed-stuy area to mention that won't make you sound like an imbecile paid off... I'm waiting on Bushwick now... Please enlighten me as to the areas you saw that were "filled" with whites in Bushwick...

Here's google maps... I'll be waiting
Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City