Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,218 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are moving to the NYC area from Pittsburgh in June and we are trying to figure out the best location for us to rent an apartment. At present we are debating between trying to make things work in the city (Manhattan or the Bronx), or heading out to southern Westchester Co. somewhere. Advice is needed and appreciated.

My wife will be working at Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx (Norwood) and will need to drive due to her unconventional work schedule. I know that life would be simpler without a car, and we did consider that possibility, but being carless just won’t work for our situation. I’ll most likely be working in Manhattan and I’m fine with taking public transportation. Since she’ll have long hours, we’re trying to keep my wife’s commute down to 30 minutes or so. Shorter is always better, but I’d be OK with up to an hour commute if need be.

Since I likely won’t have a car, we really need a location that is pedestrian friendly and close to transit and amenities (grocery, etc.). We’re comfortable in diverse neighborhoods and with a low level of background crime, but we’d like a relatively safe environment (very little to no violent crime). I’d consider us urbanites for sure, but I recognize that NYC is urban on a whole new scale.

If need be, we aren’t opposed to a more suburban setting but it’d be great if there were other young professionals/transplants around (we are both in our mid-twenties) and there was a lively downtown area to spend time. Does such a place exist? I’m a little afraid of feeling like an unwelcome outsider, especially since we don’t have kids.

Finally, our max budget for a place is $2000/month. I’d love for that to cover parking too (dare I dream?). Can anyone recommend neighborhoods/towns that seem like they might work for us given the above information? I’ve done a fair amount of research but my head is starting to spin.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 AM

235 posts, read 373,842 times
You should try those big buildings in Riverdale, Bronx. Most of the buildings are nice and have parking garages. You can take the Metro North or a bus/subway to Manhattan. Riverdale is nice and if you want to keep your car that is an area that I suggest. Otherwise is a hassle with a car anywhere in the Manhattan or the Bronx. But people seem to have cars in Manhattan too. So it maybe hard for parking, more traffic nightmares but is doable.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
There are quite a few topics about what are good areas of the Bronx. One that comes up and where several posters live is Pelham Parkway.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
You should try those big buildings in Riverdale, Bronx. Most of the buildings are nice and have parking garages. You can take the Metro North or a bus/subway to Manhattan. Riverdale is nice and if you want to keep your car that is an area that I suggest. Otherwise is a hassle with a car anywhere in the Manhattan or the Bronx. But people seem to have cars in Manhattan too. So it maybe hard for parking, more traffic nightmares but is doable.

X2. Try Van Cort. Village near the reservoir and Riverdale. Not far from Monty.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Uptown baby...Uptown. Try Washington Heights in Harlem. Nice apartments on Ft. Washington. Just my suggestion...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:15 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
Another vote for Riverdale. Very nice area and one of the few options that will allow you to keep a car and get a nice place for $2k/month. It will be an easy drive for your wife and you'll have a few options for public transportation into the city. I wouldn't say it's an exciting area but it will do just fine for the weeknights and keep you close to Manhattan for going out on the weekend. The neighborhood has all the basics (stores, restaurants, bars) right near by and is also a nice looking, unique area. Riverdale is perched up on the cliffs and nicely green with trees, etc. Kind of like some areas of Pitt, actually. For $2k you can probably get a place with a nice view and parking.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Ft. Washington or Riverdale.
Working in Manhattan, I would actually choose Ft. Washington.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Wanna dump the car?

Move to Norwood. Your wife can then walk to work while you take the subway downtown. A short walk beats a tired drive after a nightshift on the streets of NYC.

Subway access to the East and West sides of Manhattan (D/4), lots of parks, the Bronx Zoo and Botanical gardens nearby. Fordham Road for cheap shopping, Target in nearby Marble Hill, subway to E 59th St for designer stuff. Diverse. 0 murders in 2012

Isn't there a quicker Midtown bound Metro North stop at Gun Hill Rd too. Norwood natives?

Surprised no one mentioned this.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 04-12-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Wanna dump the car?

Move to Norwood. Your wife can then walk to work while you take the subway downtown.

Subway access to the East and West sides of Manhattan, lots of parks, the Bronx Zoo and Botanical gardens nearby. Fordham Road for cheap shopping, Target in nearby Marble Hill, subway to E 59th St for designer stuff.
I agree.The areas just to the South and just to the East of Montefiore,around the North and West sides of the oval are fine.Ditto northern Bedford Park,along and just South of Mosholu Parkway and East of The Grand Concourse.Very short walk to Montefiore,easy walk to the D train or the metro north @ The Botanical Garden stop.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Wanna dump the car?

Move to Norwood. Your wife can then walk to work while you take the subway downtown.

Subway access to the East and West sides of Manhattan (D/4), lots of parks, the Bronx Zoo and Botanical gardens nearby. Fordham Road for cheap shopping, Target in nearby Marble Hill, subway to E 59th St for designer stuff.

Isn't there a quicker Metro North stop at Gun Hill Rd too. Norwood natives?
The "Williamsbridge" metro North stop is @ Gun Hill Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: