Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM

44,057 posts, read 44,857,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcrammer View Post
I've been busting my a** as a busser here for a long time now. A year and a half, almost. I've barely got any money but I'm moving to New York the day I turn 18 by any means. I've looked for apartments all over the city, and many of Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Queen's apartments will do and I can actually afford to rent one of them. At least for one month, until I find a job as a waiter, with no security. I can only afford to pay for food, clothes, one month of rent, and anything else that I must have to start my life, along with my dogs necessities, like her food and keeping her from freezing or over-heating, etcetera. She's a small dog (dachshund) so I'm hoping that my potential landlord won't reject me.

I know that there has to be a way to get around it. I'm very trustworthy. I've kept this job since I got it as my first when I was sixteen years old, I'm doing everything that I can, I speak well, I'm too ambitious to breathe most of the time, and I have no credit! I have to deal with that, too. How will I ever find any landlord to have me as a tenant?

Please tell me that you have good news for me. I'm so worried I'm going to faint, and it's been that way too long.
Moving with a dog does complicate things as not every landlord or roommate wants a dog in their apt. As others have said you must have enough to pay a month's security as it is a requirement for most apts. in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM

900 posts, read 2,381,303 times
Bump

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM

15,705 posts, read 15,858,254 times
I'm sorry to tell you this, but you're not ready to move to NYC. You need to have several thousand bucks in your pocket beforehand. Anyone who would rent to an 18 year-old without a security deposit is a fool. Even more so with a dog.

I'll take your word for it that you're ambitious, but based on your post, I see nothing that indicates that you have any particular marketable skills, and clearly at 18 you don't have much education. The city is full of actors working as waiters who have twice your charm and sophistication.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but stay put until you have more more and something to put on your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City