Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,977,364 times

Advertisements

Article @ Bushwick Rents Increase 20 Percent, Down Elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
Anon is going to flip out.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Anon is going to flip out.
I actually love this post more than you know... It allows me to highlight the absurdities of the statement because it's very specific about what it says... Here... taken verbatim from the article... And for those who I question have a brain, please I beg of you, prove me wrong and realize the ridiculousness of this article...

" Average rents are now $2,400 for a studio, $2,800 for a one-bedroom, and $3,000 for a two-bedroom, according to real-estate firm MNS, which authored the report. (Wait, so you're telling me a real estate firm authored this report... clearly it must be true ) For those not keeping track, consider that in 2009, a Bushwick studio ranged from $900 to $1,200 —(So studios for the entire neighborhood which last I checked has well over 150,000 residents of which roughly 75-80% are either poor/working class and an additional 15-20% are working/middle class homeowners who have lived in the area for decades have rents that more than doubled in 3 years) and that was up from $500 to $800 just a few years before. “ (Are you telling me I could have gotten a studio in Bushwick for $100 in 2007... Well damn, I should've hopped on the train then... Who knew rents were cheaper here than in Brownsville back in 07'...) It was very, very abnormal …incredible,” remarked MNS Chief Executive Officer Andrew Barrocas of the February increase.

Now what are they citing as the reasons behind this 100-150% increase in rent in three years... Once again, taken verbatim from the article...

"The reasons for the sudden jump include low inventory, new buildings coming on the market, and the increasing popularity of Bushwick. In particular, “the February opening of brand new apartments on 949 Willoughby Avenue had helped push rental averages up,” noted Barrocas."

Interesting that this ridiculous exaggeration of an article would only mention one solid building as its source for change in overall rents... Furthermore, there's a reason why there's low inventory and its not because of the hipsters... There's low inventory because there are still so many folks in that area living on regulated rents... Real estate agents and other interests are desperately seeking to buy whatever comes on the market because the reality is, there's not much out there for the hipsters in (ACTUAL BUSHWICK)...

The writer of this article should be made liable for whatever inaccuracies or boldfaced lies were found in this article...

To be honest with you what I think they actually did was take the average of available apartments of which most of the new apartment listings are for buildings like 949 Willoughby or others... That doesn't mean people are renting them, it just means that's what they're asking for... And if you don't believe me, Why don't you go and take a look at the area around 949 Willoughby ave. and see how many of the hipster/or even yuppy class are renting in that building... I'll warn you before hand, please don't go with high expectations...

Btw, thanks again Shadow Messa, for the source... Awesome work highlighting the exaggerations from this article...

Last edited by anon1; 04-10-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 AM

Notable Trends

Building (Average Prices) Most ExpensiveStudiosWilliamsburg $ 2,731

Brooklyn Rental Market Report | MNS is Real Impact Real Estate

So Williamsburg not surprisingly, has the most expensive average studios at around 2700 a month (report is from February/March 2013) in Brooklyn... And yet, despite the fact that Williamsburg is arguably the most trendy/hip part of this entire city... Amazingly, Bushwick is somehow right behind it in terms of average studios... Apparently, it's average studio rents are also right on par with Dumbo, Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights... And nobody finds that odd...

Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times
The thing is, rent controlled apartments are not on the market as people tend to stay in them till they die. There are still some rent controlled apartments in Manhattan. I know an old man paying $300 a month for rent for an one bedroom in Midtown East, while others are paying $4000 for units in his building. When this guy dies the landlord will upgrade the building and jack up the rent. Parts of Bushwick, or what should be called Bushwick are marketed as East Williamsburg, and these areas are full of hipsters and newly renovated buildings as well.

The fact people are on public assistance in the area really means nothing. The Lower East Side and Chelsea have projects, but market rate housing in these areas is pretty expensive. You might be putting down $3000k for a studio market rate.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM

37,222 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Are they using Community Board 4 boundaries for Bushwick?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The thing is, rent controlled apartments are not on the market as people tend to stay in them till they die. There are still some rent controlled apartments in Manhattan. I know an old man paying $300 a month for rent for an one bedroom in Midtown East, while others are paying $4000 for units in his building. When this guy dies the landlord will upgrade the building and jack up the rent. Parts of Bushwick, or what should be called Bushwick are marketed as East Williamsburg, and these areas are full of hipsters and newly renovated buildings as well.

The fact people are on public assistance in the area really means nothing. The Lower East Side and Chelsea have projects, but market rate housing in these areas is pretty expensive. You might be putting down $3000k for a studio market rate.
Hey writer dude, why don't you let mommy and daddy have an adult conversation about topics you clearly know nothing about... For those who haven't stepped foot in Bushwick or haven't any clue as to what is really going on, please, for your own credibility, stay quiet...

What is happening is actually the exact opposite... For years now, because of the fact that many hipsters want to live in what they consider to be gritty areas... Real estate agents and other interests for the longest time have marketed East Williamsburg areas as Bushwick...

A couple of examples for you...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/dining/reviews/robertas-nyc-restaurant-review.html?pagewanted=all

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/02/bushwick-hipsters-unimpressed-by-violent-crime.html

Both are located in East Williamsburg proper but continue to be mentioned as part as Bushwick... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if about 50% of East Williamsburg rentals were used as part of that original source... The thing is, no one does there research as to the correct borders of the area... Anything west of Flushing ave in Brooklyn once you cross Cypress ave heading towards Bushwick, Broadway etc. is East Williamsburg... not Bushwick...

Furthermore, I've mentioned this before but recently a couple of friends of mine decided to move out of (working class) Ridgewood to Bushwick for (what?) cheaper rents... interesting how those who actually live in the real world have no idea that there is this alternate reality where Bushwick is almost as expensive as Williamsburg/Brooklyn Heights/Park Slope...

One of them is renting a 1 bedroom for 1100... Another is renting a studio for 1000 and a family I know who were living in Glendale but couldn't afford it any more decided to move into a 2 bedroom on troutman (which is on the "hipper" side of Bushwick) for 1300 a month in a railroad style apartment... Just for the record, his block between irving and knickerbocker aside from one building, has not changed at all... The demographics of the block are still overwhelmingly (PR, then Dominican then Mexican and then black) of which majority pay actual market rate (1000-1400 for their apartments)...

Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM

37,222 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Hey writer dude, why don't you let mommy and daddy have an adult conversation about topics you clearly know nothing about... For those who haven't stepped foot in Bushwick or haven't any clue as to what is really going on, please, for your own credibility, stay quiet...

What is happening is actually the exact opposite... For years now, because of the fact that many hipsters want to live in what they consider to be gritty areas... Real estate agents and other interests for the longest time have marketed East Williamsburg areas as Bushwick...

A couple of examples for you...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/dining/reviews/robertas-nyc-restaurant-review.html?pagewanted=all

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/02/bushwick-hipsters-unimpressed-by-violent-crime.html

Both are located in East Williamsburg proper but continue to be mentioned as part as Bushwick... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if about 50% of East Williamsburg rentals were used as part of that original source... The thing is, no one does there research as to the correct borders of the area... Anything west of Flushing ave in Brooklyn once you cross Cypress ave heading towards Bushwick, Broadway etc. is East Williamsburg... not Bushwick...

Furthermore, I've mentioned this before but recently a couple of friends of mine decided to move out of (working class) Ridgewood to Bushwick for (what?) cheaper rents... interesting how those who actually live in the real world have no idea that there is this alternate reality where Bushwick is almost as expensive as Williamsburg/Brooklyn Heights/Park Slope...

One of them is renting a 1 bedroom for 1100... Another is renting a studio for 1000 and a family I know who were living in Glendale but couldn't afford it any more decided to move into a 2 bedroom on troutman (which is on the "hipper" side of Bushwick) for 1300 a month in a railroad style apartment... Just for the record, his block between irving and knickerbocker aside from one building, has not changed at all... The demographics of the block are still overwhelmingly (PR, then Dominican then Mexican and then black) of which majority pay actual market rate (1000-1400 for their apartments)...
Can you find what they're referencing in the report for what they say is Bushwick? Is it outside of community board 4 and actually including east williamsburg?

Also, Bushwick proper has had rents go up substantially and a fairly good clip of gentrification in its northern and western part and especially close along the L train. Not to the extent of east williamsburg but still substantial and pretty self-evident. And though Roberta's isn't in Bushwick, it's in close enough proximity that it's easy for people within parts of Bushwick to get to while similar sorts of places have popped up in Bushwick proper such as Northeast Kingdom. There are still a good lot of (compared to the other neighborhoods mentioned) cheap parts of Bushwick, but I'm guessing those aren't the ones being put up on the market since landlords have less incentive in those parts to try to push people at lower rent out and to raise rents significantly so if the stats are being compiled through what gets listed as available on the market, then the numbers will skew towards the high side.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-10-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

I've stepped food in Bushwick many times. I know you fear your eventually pricing out so you're screaming about what's happening to Bushwick, but whatever.

I've seen gentrification in Bushwick first hand. But go ahead and keep arguing against anyone who says it, as well as flipping out on mad rants about any publication who publishes an article on it. In the end it changes nothing.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've stepped food in Bushwick many times. I know you fear your eventually pricing out so you're screaming about what's happening to Bushwick, but whatever.

I've seen gentrification in Bushwick first hand. But go ahead and keep arguing against anyone who says it, as well as flipping out on mad rants about any publication who publishes an article on it. In the end it changes nothing.
Rhetoric means absolute nothing without substance... What parts of Bushwick have you been in that you see these changes... You see, I don't just speak based on internet hype and then claim I know... I actually know what's going on with this neighborhood and seeing as how I live in Ridgewood and not Bushwick and seeing as how where I currently live in Ridgewood is nowhere near the changes taking place in Bushwick along the East Williamsburg border I have no need to rant nor fear being priced out...

For any objective poster who lives in the area... you can ask them if my assessments are incorrect about the neighborhood and they'd tell you... You can ask them whether the hype is really all its cracked up to be and they'd laugh at you... Most of Bushwick doesn't even know about the media created Bushwick that appeals to so many... The name Bushwick has adopted its own persona and it is something completely unfamiliar to locals or people living around the area... When the family from Glendale decided to move to Bushwick I was just as surprised as probably any of you would be... In my head reading all the hype I'm thinking... how is it possible that a working class PR family can find a 2 bedroom apartment in Bushwick especially along the east Williamsburg border... The truth? They had no idea Bushwick was even being touted as anything special... There reason for moving to Bushwick... I quote "The hoods all we can afford right now"

That is Bushwick... Has it seen changes? Of course... Is it dramatically different from 10-15 years ago in terms of QOL? No question... However, have the demographics and COL shifted significantly in the last 5-10 years? The answer is NO. That is the god's honest truth and I will continue to state this fact until it is no longer the case...

So I ask you again... where is it exactly that you have been in Bushwick and seen these changes specifically? I have facts... What have you brought to the table other than speak subjective nonsense... Give me a location and then maybe we can start taking your posts somewhat seriously...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City