Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,344 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data!

I'm a Comp Sci graduate about to accept a software development position in New York City. I've gathered that living in New York City can be expensive, via Craigslist postings (ex. a share of a room going for $1000 in Brooklyn, a studio for 1500). I don't really have any qualms about the borough where I'd live if I move, but I'd prefer to live reasonably close to a subway station to avoid long-ish commutes.

I have bare-minimum experience in my field (zero internships, but some university research + personal projects), and graduated from a state school, so I don't really feel like I have much of a leg to stand on. If anyone has experience negotiating for a position similar to mine, does 35-45k sound right, or am I pushing my luck? Should I negotiate for more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,324 times
I think atleast 50-60. but don't worry too much about your first job, take a new one after a year (take your time to find whoever offers most) and just use it as a way to get moved into nyc.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 AM

510 posts, read 2,244,023 times
It depends on what industry of software dev, what sort of development you'd be doing, and what your job responsibilities are but 35-45k would be very much on the low end. 55-65k is closer to a standard starting salary for software dev here and it can often go up from there.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionmania View Post
Hello City-Data!

I'm a Comp Sci graduate about to accept a software development position in New York City. I've gathered that living in New York City can be expensive, via Craigslist postings (ex. a share of a room going for $1000 in Brooklyn, a studio for 1500). I don't really have any qualms about the borough where I'd live if I move, but I'd prefer to live reasonably close to a subway station to avoid long-ish commutes.

I have bare-minimum experience in my field (zero internships, but some university research + personal projects), and graduated from a state school, so I don't really feel like I have much of a leg to stand on. If anyone has experience negotiating for a position similar to mine, does 35-45k sound right, or am I pushing my luck? Should I negotiate for more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Living cost in NYC is expensive. Rent takes biggest chunk of your monthly pay along with NYC income tax (2-4%). 35-45k sounds is on low end and you'd be best to do some salary check online as high level baseline to negotiate.

That said. Good software engineers are in hot demand and honestly most places don't care too much about where your education was from. Its about how smart you are combined with experience. Better the school is known of their program, obviously better shot you will have at not being filtered out. However bottom-line is that there is a shortage of good software engineers in NYC and it's quite cut throat right now. Not to mention NYC is hotbed for tech start-ups again.

If you want to take a shot to get your foot through the door, gain experience, learn a lot, work your butt off, and then apply for another place to get the pay bump. Go for it. Personally if you just graduatated recently, think long-term. 35-45k is and may seem low to start with in NYC, if you put in the work and focus on your career. Hitting 100k in mid-late 20s is not hard as software engineer in NYC. But more than that, if you want to try your luck at start-up. That's feasible too.

Please note though, if it turns out that you aren't a good software engineer. Then it's going to be rough, while there is high demand for the role you are looking to be hired for. There is set expectation on quality and caliber of individual companies hire here for most part.

This is my two cents as software development project manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: