Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I mean this in the nicest way: get a grip!!! For real, your imagination is making things much bigger than they are. If you come into NYC with this insecure and defeatist disposition, you will confirm every negative belief you have about NYC. Show up as a confident person and you will do just fine. Besides, there are so many facets of NYC and you're only looking at one aspect. It's as if you want to come and pigeonhole yourself into some ideal version of what a "sophisticated" New Yorker is supposed to be. Forget all of that and just do you.
confidence isn't as important as money is (or credit cards until you make enough). Confident and broke are a contradiction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
NYC fashion isn't to everyone's taste. As a man, I think women dress much better in many other cities. In most of Japan, for example, many women wear skirts every single day and never, ever wear trousers. I wouldn't mind NYC going back to that!
Eh...I think NYC chicks are sexy in both skirts and trousers, especially trousers! But hey, to each his own...

Old 05-11-2013, 09:34 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11kap View Post
smh why u think that way?
+1

Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
confidence isn't as important as money is (or credit cards until you make enough). Confident and broke are a contradiction
Huh?! I didn't mention anything about money. But since you brought it up, I disagree. Confidence is vital to living the life that you want; in fact, I'd go as far to say that the more confidence you have in yourself, the more likely you are to be a go-getter who can earn money. I've been broke a few times within the last few years (life of a college student) and I still manage to show my face & do my best. You can't let external things, including money, determine your worth.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Huh?! I didn't mention anything about money. But since you brought it up, I disagree. Confidence is vital to living the life that you want; in fact, I'd go as far to say that the more confidence you have in yourself, the more likely you are to be a go-getter who can earn money. I've been broke a few times within the last few years (life of a college student) and I still manage to show my face & do my best. You can't let external things, including money, determine your worth.
Yes and the what has helped me with that was anti depressants & ADHD medications, sometimes an anxiety medication - Klonopin as needed because I come across as too 'nervous' sometimes.

Being broke in NYC = not good you will be eaten alive...

Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
It's a jungle out there
is what they say.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 PM

91 posts, read 164,274 times
What does that mean Nick, will eat you alive? The income disparity in NYC is at an all time high, the median household income is like 50k. So I would imagine there are far more people living there that have money concerns than those that do not.

So when you say it will eat you alive, what are talking about? Seems to me, if you are short on cash, you are with the majority of people.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
NYC fashion isn't to everyone's taste. As a man, I think women dress much better in many other cities. In most of Japan, for example, many women wear skirts every single day and never, ever wear trousers. I wouldn't mind NYC going back to that!
Not to mention plenty of men in NYC dress like women.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 PM

796 posts, read 1,161,915 times
New Yorkers do take fashion serious compared to rest of America. LA area dress up nice too.
New York has millions of international tourists too.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Not to mention plenty of men in NYC dress like women.
Very true! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City