Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
That is terrible, however more should be done to spay and neuter pets so shelters don't have to do this.
You do use the passive voice about something that has actual agents, but in any case, as soon as you come up with a plan for how to address this, please let me know.

Among my favorite stories related to dumping an animal at the kill shelters:
Personal problems.
New baby ! [what an example to set]
Going on vacation for two weeks.
Allergies [after 18 years ...?].
Medical [the shelters offer support if needed ...].

Oh, and - "moving," "landlord." Who moves to a "no pet" place when they have pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
I had a little boy chihuahua but he had to go back with my family in Michigan. The hours I was working just got to be too crazy, I would be gone for 14-16 hours at a stretch. I had someone to walk him but that isn't enough for a dog like that to be happy. Some dogs are perfectly content to be alone for long periods, some aren't. He is much happier now and I am much less stressed out.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
To the OP: maybe get 2 dogs - so he/she won't be alone when the humans are at work.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You do use the passive voice about something that has actual agents, but in any case, as soon as you come up with a plan for how to address this, please let me know.

Among my favorite stories related to dumping an animal at the kill shelters:
Personal problems.
New baby ! [what an example to set]
Going on vacation for two weeks.
Allergies [after 18 years ...?].
Medical [the shelters offer support if needed ...].

Oh, and - "moving," "landlord." Who moves to a "no pet" place when they have pets.

Just so you know, you can develop allergies at any point in your life, even things you have been around regularly. Sure, people might use it as an excuse but it actually does happen and it's not something that's totally out there.

Some animals are not fond of new babies. In fact, some will act aggressively toward them. Again, I'm sure some people do use it as an excuse but because this sometimes happens, I think people freak out about this. (Especially with cats---I have heard a lot of people fear their cat will attack the baby because that seems to be a thing people say.)

I am understanding of some personal problems and some medical costs are quite high. I mean, if some people can barely take care of their kids and even those kids get taken away, I'm not going to be surprised that the same thing happens to pets.

And hey, there are some people who treat their animals better than their kids: Mom checks dog into hotel but leaves young daughters at home alone - NY Daily News

Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
To the OP: maybe get 2 dogs - so he/she won't be alone when the humans are at work.
Op lives in a studio!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Op lives in a studio!
Little dogs then! Or maybe a couple of guinea pigs instead.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,034 times
Default DOG OWNERS!! we need your help

Dear dog owners

perhaps what we are developing will be useful to all busy NewYorkers who do not have enough time to spend with their dogs..

our name is CrossLeash and we are working on a really cool product which we think you will love!!

We are reaching out to all of you to spare 30 seconds of your time and answer the questions found in the link below (from SurveyMonkey.com). This will help us a great deal for tuning our product to your needs. You will see, it will really take 30 seconds!!

Its for the good of our dogs

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RB2DSH9

thank you
the CrossLeash team

p.s. please don't leave your dogs alone for too long

Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,034 times
Dear dog owners

perhaps what we are developing will be useful to all busy NewYorkers who do not have enough time to spend with their dogs..

our name is CrossLeash and we are working on a really cool product which we think you will love!!

We are reaching out to all of you to spare 30 seconds of your time and answer the questions found in the link below (from SurveyMonkey.com). This will help us a great deal for tuning our product to your needs. You will see, it will really take 30 seconds!!

Its for the good of our dogs

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RB2DSH9

thank you
the CrossLeash team

p.s. please don't leave your dogs alone for too long

Old 01-18-2015, 05:48 AM

11 posts, read 10,668 times
i have two large dogs and work long, unpredictable hours, in a job very different from the one i had when i first adopted them and lived in boulder where we could hike daily. but i also make a decent salary because of it. i decided to get a two bedroom and roommate with a very flexible student schedule who pays very little rent and in return, the dogs are "hers". i still take them on an hour off leash walk either super early in the morning or at night (and sometimes both)

but my roommate also takes them out for an hour in the afternoon and covers for my walks when I can't make it. it's really nice to know that if work makes my walking them as much as I'd like impossible, my roommate covers all of it as if they were her dogs. there have been week long stretches where i don't walk them at all.

This is a great resource too: NYC Dog Hiking Services

Not a fan of doggie daycare for mine. Feel like it's stressful for the average dog and the staff generally is not excellent. But hiking outside of the city? Yes, please.

K9 Club also will walk your dog for 2 hours at very, very reasonable rates (esp for NYC) at $22 per walk. The owner's kind of crazy. He owns wolves and lives outside of the city and... whatever. But his walkers are well trained. I don't really buy into the whole pack mentality thing they use. But they are very safety conscientious and they cover a lot of ground city street wise in those two hours which somehow feels a lot better to me than someone popping by to let them out for half an hour of no exercise, even if not a pack walk.

We also do once a week "classes" like rally, or recently for my German Shepherd, scent work, because I knew she'd love it. These are mostly to make sure I get some time with them and that I keep up with training them and having fun and learning more with them. Again, sometimes I don't make the class, but I'm always registered and paying for it. So I make it a lot more than I would if that wasn't the case. And since they give you "homework" that ensures I fit in a lot more 15 minute training sessions here and there than I otherwise would

My dogs are happy. I'm not guilty, Hopefully this job is just a temporary stage in life and I can move on, in a year or two to something like my "old" live in upstate NY or back to the Denver area. But even if not, I know my dogs are having good lives. It just take a lot more work and money to make sure that's the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City