Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 PM

24 posts, read 34,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Jackson Heights, which is one of the neighborhoods she is considering, is a huge mix of working class and middle class. I think the population ranges from the working poor (mainly new immigrants) to middle class people who are either more established immigrants or American born. There is housing for all incomes, although no housing projects that I know of. In the lowest ranges I imagine the set-ups tend to be very small and possibly illegal, and for the upper reaches there are coop apartments for $500K to $700K.

Everyone seems to co-exist pretty well. At the farmer's market on Sundays you see some people buying wild caught scallops for $22 per pound, and others using food stamps.
This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. My parents and I are immigrants and worked really hard to make it to middle class, so living in an area with both sounds great. Can't wait to leave Georgia, where I feel like I'm the only hispanic and don't feel a sense of belonging at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
These are some of the South American restaurants I've been to in Jackson Heights. My favorites are the two Argentinian places. I don't know of any nearby Chilean places, and I don't think there are many Chilean people around the area either.

Pio Pio | Peruvian Restaurant New York City - Home
El Sol Restaurant - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY
La Cabana Argentinan Steakhouse - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY
Chivito De Oro - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY
Arepas Pues Mixtas - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY
La Gran Uruguaya Bakery - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY
Mama's Empanadas - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY
La Pequeña Colombia - Elmhurst - Jackson Heights, NY
Hornado Ecuatoriano - Elmhurst - Jackson Heights, NY
La Fusta Restaurant (this is in Elmhurst)
Pollos A La Brasa Mario - Elmhurst - Jackson Heights, NY
Ooo empanadas, that's a popular one eaten in Chile as well. I wasn't looking for specific Chilean culture; just a nice diverse types of Hispanic besides Mexican. Not that there's anything wrong with Mexicans, but here in GA there's only Mexicans and no other type of Hispanic. People here call me Mexican because they're assuming I just am one

Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 PM

19 posts, read 55,800 times
Queens, and Brooklyn. Forget about Staten Island or the Bronx. Hard to get to. If not Queens and Brooklyn, Jersey City and take the Path Train over.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,811,908 times
Surprised nobody mentioned Ridgewood yet... Solid working class diverse neighborhood... Mainly Hispanic especially the closer you get to Bushwick and then becomes progressively more European but still with a strong Hispanic presence farther into the Queens border... It's similar to Jackson Heights in the sense that its diverse but the diversity tends to be more European and then Middle Eastern as opposed to Jackson Heights which is either majority Hispanic in one section or majority Asian in another... The area has a pretty even mix of Ecuadorians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and a growing Mexican population... FWIW, there's a couple families who come from Chile in my church... It's a pretty diverse Hispanic/European/Middle Eastern area... There really isn't a culture that dominates any specific area...

Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned Ridgewood yet... Solid working class diverse neighborhood... Mainly Hispanic especially the closer you get to Bushwick and then becomes progressively more European but still with a strong Hispanic presence farther into the Queens border... It's similar to Jackson Heights in the sense that its diverse but the diversity tends to be more European and then Middle Eastern as opposed to Jackson Heights which is either majority Hispanic in one section or majority Asian in another... The area has a pretty even mix of Ecuadorians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and a growing Mexican population... FWIW, there's a couple families who come from Chile in my church... It's a pretty diverse Hispanic/European/Middle Eastern area... There really isn't a culture that dominates any specific area...
Is Ridgewood in Queens, BK, or BX? How far is it from Midtown Manhattan?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinLady99 View Post
Is Ridgewood in Queens, BK, or BX? How far is it from Midtown Manhattan?
It's in Queens, borderline Brooklyn... from the myrtle/Wyckoff stop it's about a 10 minute ride to Union Sq.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,170,312 times
Not mostly Hispanic, but a lot of young Latin American professionals moving into LIC/Hunters Point and the far West Side (Highline) area.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Not mostly Hispanic, but a lot of young Latin American professionals moving into LIC/Hunters Point and the far West Side (Highline) area.
That vibe is definitely more uppity than the OP seems to be looking for... Currently the best areas for blue collar mixed working/middle class Hispanic areas are Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, Ridgewood, parts of Sunnyside, Corona, Woodside, Woodhaven in Queens and Sunset Park in Brooklyn... I'm assuming there are a number of solid working/middle class Hispanic areas in the Bronx as well but i'm not that familiar with the borough to make suggestions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City