Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

I would say most of SI is pretty suburban.

It works for some people. If I had a daily commute into Financial district, living in SI by ferry would be something I might be interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 PM

588 posts, read 947,150 times
Most of SI is too crowded to be suburban.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 AM

37 posts, read 49,285 times
As a former Islander, I can say the place is an island in so many ways. There's a sense of isolation there among the residents, and many seem to react to outsiders like some sort of foreign aliens looking to ruin the place. Which is funny because many originate from Brooklyn, and some go to Brooklyn, Manhattan or even Hoboken for a night out (because the night there totally sucks).

I've always said Staten Island is a good place for families. That is why when you're in your 30s and single, it is best to run for your life, like I did!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
This is a poor way to start this thread. SI has its faults but lack of career opportunities is definitely not one of them. If anything, SI is the best borough to live for mid-income college-educated workers looking to climb the career ladder and has very obvious advantages to offer.
In what fields? What companies have major operations in Staten Island?

Generally speaking, outside of certain areas (Dumbo, Downtown Brooklyn, LIC, Williamsburg), the outer boroughs as hole don't have many opportunities for recent college grads outside of education, social services, the hospital/medical sector, non profit, and maybe retail. There's a reason why subways, buses, and even commuter trains are so crowded going into Manhattan.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 44,099 times
Staten Island does suck, but you should at least appreciate having a quiet and safe neighborhood to live in.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:47 AM

6 posts, read 20,639 times
Go to Manhattan as often as you can. It changed my life.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 AM

6 posts, read 20,639 times
Oh and by go, I mean get engaged in activities there where you will build new networks of friends and professional contacts

Old 06-01-2016, 07:06 AM

443 posts, read 437,302 times
You do realize this thread is 3 years old, right?

Old 06-01-2016, 07:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
As Monte Python would say: "RUN AWAY."

Old 06-01-2016, 08:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
As Monte Python would say: "RUN AWAY."
i have been to staten island only twice in my entire life, tho i am a nyc native. once, many years ago i got lost driving in brooklyn and somehow ended up there. it was around sunset, and there were fields of children playing intramural soccer. it seemed a strange place, stuck in time. the people i'd pass had a strange look about them. reminded me of the 70's and a scene from the wanderers, the people reminded me of the ducky boys. i was checking my compass, and then looked back at the field and maybe 5 minutes had passed and the field had mysteriously emptied. i had a sudden shiver. it's like as soon as the sun sets, the people go hiding in their homes, lock their doors. i kept driving to see if i could find someone to help me, and there was no one. finally, i arrived on a main street, and stopped by a gas station/convenience store. the guy was friendly enough, and he asked me where i'm from. i said i'm trying to get back to manhattan. he drew me a map and i left. outside, next to the gas station was a diner. soon as i walked out, there was a small crowd of people staring at me, the children too, like an urban children of the corn. i jumped in my car and floored the gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City