Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Astoria is not at all suburban and I don't see how Sunnyside would be any quicker than Riverdale to the Upper East Side?
Dude, Riverdale might as well be on the moon it's so hard to commute from. We've already gone over the reasons. But if it makes you happy let's do a quick google maps directions to the upper east side (40.775017,-73.963137) in current traffic:

From Sunnyside (40.746672,-73.919041):
Car: 14 mins
Transit: 28 mins
Walking: 1 hr 23 mins
Bike: 29 mins

From Riverdale (40.893873,-73.911552):
Car: 20 mins
Transit: 1 hr 5 mins
Walking: 3 hr 12 mins
Bike: 1hr 22 mins

You're looking at 2-3 times the commuting time from Riverdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM

12 posts, read 44,339 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am impressed with the number of responses I have received in such a short time. I rarely see that level of camaraderie around here - I cant wait to be a fellow NY'er.

From what I am hearing it sounds like I should clearly expand my search area beyond the Riverdale area, and I am open to that. We also thought about Queens, but given that I commute, even though only a couple days a week, to CT, Queens may be a painful stretch.

We are both young professionals in our 30's, and safety and childcare is our critical requirement. Given that we are new here, we are willing to pay a bit premium for the extra safety. Rentwise, we are willing to spend from 2.5k to 4k. In terms of commute, we are really looking for around 30-45 mins from UES, as my spouse works in a hospital.

From what I am hearing above, it sounds like along with Riverdale, Yonkers, Pelham, Westchester are also good options. I will continue to look along these lines. If someone has any thoughts or other suggestions, please do post. Again, every advice is food for thought for me.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbonthenet View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am impressed with the number of responses I have received in such a short time. I rarely see that level of camaraderie around here - I cant wait to be a fellow NY'er.

From what I am hearing it sounds like I should clearly expand my search area beyond the Riverdale area, and I am open to that. We also thought about Queens, but given that I commute, even though only a couple days a week, to CT, Queens may be a painful stretch.

We are both young professionals in our 30's, and safety and childcare is our critical requirement. Given that we are new here, we are willing to pay a bit premium for the extra safety. Rentwise, we are willing to spend from 2.5k to 4k. In terms of commute, we are really looking for around 30-45 mins from UES, as my spouse works in a hospital.

From what I am hearing above, it sounds like along with Riverdale, Yonkers, Pelham, Westchester are also good options. I will continue to look along these lines. If someone has any thoughts or other suggestions, please do post. Again, every advice is food for thought for me.
Well listen, that budget can get you far. You can probably afford to move to a nice part of Westchester (avoid Yonkers it's complete trash, but that's just my opinion). Bronxville has to be my favorite, very scenic, the architecture is spectacular, and they have some of the best schools in New York. It's 30 minutes to 125th street or 40 minutes to grand central on Metro North

Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 44,339 times
Thanks BlakeJones, thats exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. Never thought of Bronxville, but will look into it now.

One question - When commuting from the north, it looks like 125th street is key station to switch to local routes. However, when I did street views on google maps, the surroundings around the 125th looked a bit scary.

My question is is it a safe station to travel around 125th after dark, or is it better to go directly to Grand Central and commute back up to UES?

Another question - what are you thoughts on Pelham ? I heard several folks here recommend that.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Pelham Bay Area, Pelham Parkway north in the Bronx might be good options as well. #1) you would be near the #6 train, which services the UES. #2) you would also be near I-95/Hutchinson River/Bronx River Parkway, which could get you to CT. Both areas offer SF and multi-family housing. #3) there is also express bus service that can take your wife to the UES. Whether you live in Westchester or in the City, one of you is going to have a longish commute. I used to live in the northernish region of the Bronx for many years, with Pelham Parkway being my last stop before relocation. I largely spent my free hours in Westchester County as it was only minutes away.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM

125th street is the heart of Harlem. The 4,5,6 trains are one avenue to the east. The Metro North Station is well maintained but the subway station is pretty dirty. I've never had any problems there myself during the day or night, but haven't gotten off there in a few years. I can't speak to the comfort factor for say a woman by herself coming home from the night shift

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Thanks BlakeJones, thats exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. Never thought of Bronxville, but will look into it now.

One question - When commuting from the north, it looks like 125th street is key station to switch to local routes. However, when I did street views on google maps, the surroundings around the 125th looked a bit scary.

My question is is it a safe station to travel around 125th after dark, or is it better to go directly to Grand Central and commute back up to UES?

Another question - what are you thoughts on Pelham ? I heard several folks here recommend that.

Thanks in advance.
Pelham is very safe and very nice.

You can walk around 125th Street after dark. As with any place, just have common sense and be alert It'd be pointless to go down and then go back up.

I'd personally find places on the lower end of your rent rage and keep the extra money as disposible income. That's kind of been my motto.

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well listen, that budget can get you far. You can probably afford to move to a nice part of Westchester (avoid Yonkers it's complete trash, but that's just my opinion). Bronxville has to be my favorite, very scenic, the architecture is spectacular, and they have some of the best schools in New York. It's 30 minutes to 125th street or 40 minutes to grand central on Metro North
I would agree with the general consensus on here that Riverdale would be an annoying place from which to commute to the UES( except by car) and wholeheartedly agree with the above recommendation of Bronxville.It is virtually at the NYC/Westchester line, on probably the most heavily traveled metro north line.The trains run very frequently on all days and the trip is very fast.It is a beautiful combination of the oldest and swankiest parts of Chestnut Hill ,architecturally, with the shopping/restaurant district of Wellesley Hills.Bronxville is probably the best suburb of all of NYC for a combination of ambience,convenience,amenities,schools,etc.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-22-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 02:02 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Pelham is nice but it can't be compared to Bronxville on any level.If I were you my 2nd choice would probably be Tuckahoe,which is right next to Bronxville.A little downscale from Bronxville but also a little cheaper but really nice nonetheless.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Dude, Riverdale might as well be on the moon it's so hard to commute from. We've already gone over the reasons. But if it makes you happy let's do a quick google maps directions to the upper east side (40.775017,-73.963137) in current traffic:

From Sunnyside (40.746672,-73.919041):
Car: 14 mins
Transit: 28 mins
Walking: 1 hr 23 mins
Bike: 29 mins

From Riverdale (40.893873,-73.911552):
Car: 20 mins
Transit: 1 hr 5 mins
Walking: 3 hr 12 mins
Bike: 1hr 22 mins

You're looking at 2-3 times the commuting time from Riverdale.
That's an out and out lie. It does not take an hour and 5 minutes from Riverdale to the Upper East Side. It can't take that long because it takes under 30 minutes to get to Midtown from Riverdale using Metro North. If you're going to give the OP suggestions, at least be honest. What sort of transit are you referring to and from what points are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I would agree with the general consensus on here that Riverdale would be an annoying place from which to commute to the UES and wholeheartedly agree with the above recommendation of Bronxville.It is virtually at the NYC/Westchester line, on probably the most heavily traveled metro north line.The trains run very frequently on all days and the trip is very fast.It is a beautiful combination of the oldest and swankiest parts of Chestnut Hill ,architecturally, with the shopping/restaurant district of Wellesley Hills.Bronxville is probably the best suburb of all of NYC for a combination of ambience,convenience,amenities,schools,etc.
The trip is very fast on what though? Metro North? If it's 125th street then I believe the Metro North train in Riverdale makes the same stop, so I'm not understanding how it would be so "painful"? Also, there is a bus, actually two I believe depending on where on the Upper East Side that can take you to the Upper East Side from Riverdale in addition to the Metro North stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City